My friend happened to come upon a guitar that might be somewhat rare and he's trying to sell it. It appears to be an Epiphone Imperial, although if it's actually one or not, is unknown to me, that just seemed most likely.

He's currently trying to sell it and I would like to buy it from him if it's a relatively nice guitar, unfortunately, he has no clue what type of guitar it is apart from a "60s sunburst japanese imperial guitar"

Pardon the quality, it's my friend who took the pictures, not me.

Thanks UG!
looks like a Japanese clone - can't say who made it, but looks like based off the headstock it was made before 1976. Those Japanese clones from that time period are really awesome or crap depending on which factory they came out of. Sorry, I know my response doesn't help you.
I have seen the over-sized dot inlays on an old Aria I own from the same time period, but Aria definitely branded their stuff. It does make it seem more likely that it is from the Matsomuko factory/plant. I may have misspelled that name. That means it is more likely a nice clone. If the frets are in good shape, I would drop $200 easy for that - even with the Bigsby clone. I might go more depending on how the pickups sound. The knobs look like my Aria, too. It has to be a Matsomuko clone. They are pretty nice guitars. Mine is an oxblood SG clone and it is pretty slick.
could you post a close up of the bridge, the saddle, the neckplate, volume/tone knobs and the pickup switching system?
Quote by katalyzt13
could you post a close up of the bridge, the saddle, the neckplate, volume/tone knobs and the pickup switching system?

Not right now, I'm trying to see if my friend can take more pictures soon, otherwise I'll head over and take some close-ups.
okay, as I've learned in my vintage guitar hunting - always check the frets - they should be worn in but not so bad you need a re-fret. You don't want to do a re-fret on a vintage guitar, it basically is kind of expensive and even someone good at it might ruin the feel of the instrument.