Okiaa so I just got into this band thats wants me to use drop A, cool right? only problem? have an Floyd rose LTD esp ec-1000, any tips on what gauge strings to use and how to drop it that low?

Thanks you!
btw, i dno if this is in the wrong area or not...
My EC has 49s on it for D standard, you may need 60+ for drop A and an extra spring for the Floyd. That may not be the best thing for your guitar because strings that think may not fot the saddles of the trem, but don't hold me to that.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I just googled some stuff and you should be ok with it actually, 0.60 should be what you need and will be ok for the guitar. They should fit in the saddles, if anything you can strip the windings off the ends to clamp in if need be. You may need to raise your action a bit to avoid string buzz, and if you do, you need to take all tension off the strings because raising the trem under tension will damage the knife edges very badly.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
hmmm, mabey ill just take it to guitar center and be like "drop a this bitch!" lol
thank yew tho, DO they sell .60+ strings normally?
Yep, most companies make heavy sets like that for us metalheads, if anything you could get a 7 string pack and just drop the highest string
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
hmm i like that idea, im just hopin ill be able to sting with ernie balls even with the heavy gauge
get yourself a new 7 string and use 11s or 12s and drop it 1 step. The easiest, least destructive way to do drop A
Quote by 7DeadleySyns
Okiaa so I just got into this band thats wants me to use drop A, cool right? only problem? have an Floyd rose LTD esp ec-1000, any tips on what gauge strings to use and how to drop it that low?

Thanks you!
btw, i dno if this is in the wrong area or not...

EDIT:
Quote by bustapr
get yourself a new 7 string and use 11s or 12s and drop it 1 step. The easiest, least destructive way to do drop A

This^^

Buy s 7 string. That is unless you want to trash the saddles and ruin a precfectly good Floyd Rose Bridge.... 6 string FR bridges were never intended to do cope with the uber low drop tunings that are all the rage these days.

I'm going to be the one of the people to tell you to buy and new guitar...

One designed for low tunings any of these should do the trick

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-mh-417-7-string-electric-guitar/584496000012000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s7420-7-string-electric-guitar/584143000001000

If you happen to be on a tighter budget here's a good choice

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-omen-7-7-string-electric-guitar/513036000001000
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jun 28, 2011,
You could get a baritone 6 string as oppose to a 7 string if you want to go the hardtail route, they're made for lower tunings and the longer scale helps keep the strings tighter.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0