Alright so I am a student in High School and I am in a band with my next door neighbor (Freshman in college) and a couple of his friends (of course we're all good buds now). And every now and then we will have a band practice / meeting to get stuff done. For this reason, I keep my main amplifier (Crate FW412B Cabinet / Head) at my neighbors house.

The issue is, I'd love to keep it here, but it is such a hassle hauling that thing back and forth if my friend ever wants to jam. I am using a dated Fender G-DEC model here, and I used to love it but I can't work a satisfying tone from it these days. The crate can produce some nice clean or crunch tones of which this cannot, not to mention high gain.

Now I'm looking for some solutions from you guys; Do you think it's worth it to haul it back and forth? Or should I work with my practice amp? Is it time to upgrade from the Crate, seeing as really isn't that awesome as a combo amp? it Maybe you guys could help me out with this G-DEC? Thanks!
its really up to you whether you want to carry your amp back and forth, but a simple solution would be to get a good small amp that can both give you the tones that youre looking for and can keep up with a band.
replace the G-DEC with one of the mid-sized to smaller peavey vypyrs and leave the Crate next door. That is what I would do.

I'd heard the G-DECs are nice, but if you are playing heavier music they're not really versatile in that area...
To be honest Crate cabs are some of the lightest on the market and you should consider yourself lucky that you only have to take it next door, some people have to drive for 30 mins and then haul it up three flights of stairs every week (try doing that with an orange 4x12 then tell me its hard)

I dont mean to sound like an arse hole when i say that but its not that bad, even if you had to take it back over to your house everytime a crate 4x12 isnt that heavy at all, plus your getting some exercise!

stick with what you have and you'll learn to deal with it haha
If it's your next door neighbor it shouldn't be that big of a deal to move it around. Depending on how often you guys jam, you might get sick of bringing it back and forth or not.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by mr7string
To be honest Crate cabs are some of the lightest on the market and you should consider yourself lucky that you only have to take it next door, some people have to drive for 30 mins and then haul it up three flights of stairs every week (try doing that with an orange 4x12 then tell me its hard)

I dont mean to sound like an arse hole when i say that but its not that bad, even if you had to take it back over to your house everytime a crate 4x12 isnt that heavy at all, plus your getting some exercise!

stick with what you have and you'll learn to deal with it haha

You know what no you don't sound like an ass, I sound lazy haha. And I didn't really acknowledge that, I know it's light, trust me, when we go to "gigs" I help my neighbor with his Marshall and that head alone is pretty weighted. I was just looking for suggestions and you make a good point that some have to travel a lot farther than to the house next door.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sell the 4x12 and get a 2x12, lighter cab means easier to carry.

or just buy a 2x12 for his house so he just has to move the head back and forth
My 1x15 bass combo is 93.8lbs, and is a ****ing bitch to carry up and down stairs. Installed chest handles from Home Depot a week ago, those helped a bit.
Last edited by MetallicSka at Jun 29, 2011,
I'm sure this comes as common sense:
The more you do something, the easier it gets.

Try carrying a 100 pound 4x10" combo up three flights of stairs where if you even think of hitting the wall there will be a foot so far up your ass that your stomach will be punctured.
I really need a ground floor studio...

There are mechanical methods of making something easier to move. Casters. Easy to install, well worth the 14 dollars.
..I was watching my death.
Welcome to the world of "why did I buy that massive cab for home jamming". I support the 2 x 12 following here. Of course if you don't have casters on the cab, this is just you being silly and get some immediately.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Carry it; you'll get ripped and all the girls will love you.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by katalyzt13
replace the G-DEC with one of the mid-sized to smaller peavey vypyrs and leave the Crate next door. That is what I would do.

I'd heard the G-DECs are nice, but if you are playing heavier music they're not really versatile in that area...

Try out a Vox VT40+ really versatile and IMHO they sound better than a Peavy Vypyr.

The Vypyr 60 or 120 have tube power amps which are as heavy or heavier than the Create you have.

If you've got a decent pedal board you might want to look at this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-and-JCA12S-Half-Stack-584695-i1524103.gc

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/jet_city_amplification/jca20h_half_stack/index.html
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Single 2x12 cab and a laptop loaded with amp sims...

I'm not sure if I'm joking or not....seriously...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well you could invest in another cab and just bring the head back and forth.

That's actually a good idea. Probably the way to get the best sound for the cheapest amount in this particular scenario.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.