Hi,

Just wondering what you were thinking about how writing music. Do you write music just for yourself, or do you (have intentions to) make it worthwhile to let others listen to your music?

Sorry if this question already came up.

Thanks
lalala
well if youre writing pop then your thinking about the pay check that youre getting after you auto tune your voice saying the same few words over a 3 and a half minute period. Most other genres will just write music that they want to hear and hope others do to.
Music is about expressing yourself, not for fans/money.
Write music that you like and if people like it they'll listen to it, but don't write it for the audience.
Both in a sense, mostly the music I write is for myself to be proud of being able to write something, or to use/broaden my abilities. I want others to listen to it and hopefully like it, but I don't make it poppy. Most of the time I think about making music that other musicians can appreciate over making music that non musicians can like.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
a good musician can do both, even if he chooses not to.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by funky_monk94
well if youre writing pop then your thinking about the pay check that youre getting after you auto tune your voice saying the same few words over a 3 and a half minute period. Most other genres will just write music that they want to hear and hope others do to.

How do you know?

I tend to do both. I love the music I write, and so do most people.
If you like your own music, someone else should too.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There are slightly different criteria involved. When writing for myself I don't have such a stringent requirement for originality - if I'm making music for me it will sometimes sound like the music I already like and I won't mind.

If writing for someone else, say for a commercial purpose, I'd make sure it didn't sound too much like anything else.
I write music to be the best possible piece I can possibly come up with. To me, it does not matter who the audience is, it should all have equal quality and receive an equal amount of attention. Most people say that you either write music for yourself or for others, I say the best way to write music is to write music only for the music itself.
That's a great question. As a singer songwriter, I find that I always write with the idea of ultimately performing for others. Whether or not I do so, the songs have to move me and have meaning to me, first. Now whether that's from the music, emotion or content of the song, differs from song to song. I have some which are strong and narrative lyrically while others are abstract.

Once I am moved by the song, then I can go out there and not think about the audience, as far as playing for them to like me, but to be aware that I want to bring value to their time and experience, and hopefully move them, as I am moved. So I play towards them, but I write for the song and my own inner voice coming through that song, but be strong enough in conviction that what I say may have some appreciative value to others (not all people, but enough to make it worth sharing). So, while I never write for an audience I write believing that I will be performing it for an audience at some point (maybe years away).

For me what works best is a silent conviction about the meaning and movement of my song. If it moves me, then if all they see is a transparent interaction between me and my own soul as I sing, whether they get the lyrics or not, they will get the emotional impact of the song as a whole. This is why I think many bands could write about nothing and pull it off, with no one really caring about the lyrics, because their passion and intensity pulled it off.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by nmitchell076
I write music to be the best possible piece I can possibly come up with. To me, it does not matter who the audience is, it should all have equal quality and receive an equal amount of attention. Most people say that you either write music for yourself or for others, I say the best way to write music is to write music only for the music itself.

yeah this is how i work too, i think it's the only way to work (or more the only way i'm able to work!)
I write better stuff when I'm at my friends house for some reason.
Like solos and that stuff.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Jun 30, 2011,
I write for myself.

While my taste in music is all over the place and eclectic to say the least. Most people who enjoy the different genres I listen to tend to enjoy the same things I do. When writing I tend to mix and match a lot of different genre’s and styles so while I write for me, it is always nice to have someone around to bounce ideas off of.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I think there is a problem saying that the two are exclusive, now that I think about it. Although its not specifically stated, the question implies that you can either write for yourself or for others. I don't see this as the case. I think it is almost imposible intend to write something you hate, so in that case we must all write for ourselves. We also assume, on some level, that our tastes and aesthetic viewpoints are held by others as well (or at least a particular audience, however small), so in that sense we are all also writing for other people.

To me, its almost like saying, "when you talk, do you talk for yourself, or do you talk for others?" Well, we are saying what we think, so we are talking for ourself, but since we are communicating, we are also trying to convey that to the person we are talking to, otherwise we wouldn't be talking to them, so we must be talking for them as well.

So I see the whole concept of "its either for me, or its for other people" as flawed, and hence why I believe you should write for the music itself, and let everything else fall into place.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Jun 30, 2011,
I think you must write both for yourself and others but remain always faithful to what you think is good, never write something you feel sucks even if others like it. But I don't agree with others here that you should only write for yourself.

There are plenty of guitarists that are excellent and put out albums that sell, but they are usually bought by fellow guitarists only, because besides being technically impressive, the music is uninspiring. To me these people are not good song writers, just good performers.

For me a musical piece must be for all, not just those who understand how complex that progression is or whatnot.
Thanks for the answers thusfar
@nmitchell076: good point you've got there. My question should have an option in between indeed, my bad.

I've forgot to answer myself:
I intend to write the music for myself and if others like it so be it. I don't blame them not liking my music at all. However, I can't say I'm indifferent for the meaning of others. It always gives a great satisfaction if someone else says they like the song! So while writing I just know I'll keep that in mind, how much I'd prefer not to.

Quote by nmitchell076
I say the best way to write music is to write music only for the music itself.

Writing music for the music itself sounds poetic, but it's not quite clear to me how you would achieve that...

Quote by funky_monk94

I know what you mean, but be careful saying that. Not all pop is like this, well of course depends on what you classify under the term pop. If you say pop is just popular music, that's not true in my opinion for all bands (Foo Fighters/Pink Floyd/...). If you mean pop as commercial music (Lady Gaga and such) that would be true in my opinion.
lalala
Quote by Didii
Writing music for the music itself sounds poetic, but it's not quite clear to me how you would achieve that...

What I mean is that when you write, attempt to produce the best music you can. You can do that without saying "this is for me" or "for someone else," what matters in the end is the quality of the music, so that quality should be your ultimate goal. Any other considerations are secondary.