http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-xpt700-xiphos-electric-guitar

I really love the shape and fell in love with the finish (but that won't stop at least 1 person from coming in here and saying "what an ugly guitar!" lol).

Passives? Check

Neck through construction? check

This guitar is essentially is spec-wise a perfect match for me save the tremolo (which I can bare at least).

My question is in regards to quality of the build and how it matches up with my current BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V (in terms of sturdiness, quality, playabilty, etc.)

I was really looking for a guitar with matching quality to my BC Rich NJ V (I love the feel of my V, feels well-made) but with different specs (most of that criteria is fufilled in the Xiphos) and a unique, uncommon shape and finish.

So ultimately,

How good of a guitar is the Xiphos XPT700?

How does it match up with my BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V in terms of quality?

How bad are Edge III tremolos really and if I do decide to purcahse the Xiphos should I immediately swap out the Edge III for an OFR or will it last me a while at least?

How's the neck? I hear that it plays sort of like an RG Prestige. Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance guys.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I thought the Edge 3's were the ones people liked.....
But seriously. If you like it, go for it.

But try to find one at a music shop and try it out first. OR buy used so if you decide you don't like it, you can get what you paid for it when you get rid of it.
As I mentioned in your other topic, I own the very same Xiphos as well as having various other Ibanez axes (prestige/non-prestige/artists sigs/etc) and I have to say that, for an Indonesian made guitar, it is incredibly well made. Plays fantastic, sounds great, only have 1 real complaint about it myself and that is the location of the strap pins. I am intending to move at least one of them, maybe both, as I can't stand the way it sits when it's hanging from the strap.

The Edge IIIs are definitely notorious but it should last you a little while at least. But yeah if you were to go ahead and buy it + a decent FR (original or some quality copy) then you would have one very decent axe.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
the edge 3's terrible, it sinks really easily and i've already had one saddle break
I own a Xiphos at the moment and I can tell you that it is a great guitar. I'm not really an expert and this is my first guitar but Xiphos is a very comfortable guitar despite the shape and I say go for it.. Of course try it first.. I'll say that you will like it..

I would also have a look at the Jacksons..
The Edge 3 will probably break down on you just in time for you to come across the money for an OFR
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Had mine since they came out, and if set up well they are a great guitar, the edge 3 stays in tune well.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
The bridge definatly brings that guitar down a little. Also, I've heard that it has bad neck dive.

I have good impressions of the Xiphios(sitting down/not using the trem)

Edit: maybe this? http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEMLATF3000

Floyd rose/set neck/passives.
Last edited by djentman at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I'm quite fond of Jackson guitars but unfortunately any Jackson Warrior that ISN'T a USA model has active pups in them or is working on a bolt-on neck. Not my thing.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I'm like 90% sure they make a hardtail version.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I'm like 90% sure they make a hardtail version.

Are you thinking about the 7 string version maybe?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I recently played one of these in a shop, and I personally really liked it. I'm actually considering buying it. I found it to be a very comfortable guitar to play, despite to weird shape. The neck is pretty solid, as far as I could tell. The pickups are also pretty wonderful. The only thing that I'm really questioning (like everyone seems to be talking about) is the bridge. I've never been a fan of fancy bridges and tremolos, and if I buy this, it will be my first one. Of course, I'm no expert, and it will most likely end up getting replaced.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I'm quite fond of Jackson guitars but unfortunately any Jackson Warrior that ISN'T a USA model has active pups in them or is working on a bolt-on neck. Not my thing.

The WRXT or whatever it is (not the one with MG in it) has passives.

What's wrong with a bolt-on neck? Jackson's bolt-on neck style still has a pretty deep cutaway. I have never had an issue getting to the 24th fret with one.

A bolt-on neck can be just as good as a set neck or neck-thru.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The WRXT or whatever it is (not the one with MG in it) has passives.

What's wrong with a bolt-on neck? Jackson's bolt-on neck style still has a pretty deep cutaway. I have never had an issue getting to the 24th fret with one.

A bolt-on neck can be just as good as a set neck or neck-thru.

I own a guitar with a neck thru and a bolt-on. I prefer neck thrus now and would just like this next one to follow that criteria as well.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I "prefer" set-thru necks, but the next guitar I'm buying has a bolt-on neck.

If you constrict yourself like that, you'll miss out on a lot of possibly great guitars.
He's tried both, he prefers one. He said he would like the next one to be neck thru. Let it go dude. xD
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I "prefer" set-thru necks, but the next guitar I'm buying has a bolt-on neck.

If you constrict yourself like that, you'll miss out on a lot of possibly great guitars.

Well to clear things up I really like both neck thrus and set thrus (I prefer neck thru though). Like I said, I own a guitar with a bolt on neck and there is definitely a playability difference to me.

Quote by VVolverin3
He's tried both, he prefers one. He said he would like the next one to be neck thru. Let it go dude. xD

Amen
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
So how would the quality of the Xiphos match up with something like my own V if I swapped out the Edge III with an OFR?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Probably pretty close. I'm not sure if you can swap an Edge III with an OFR, you'd have to check the Floyd Rose sticky. You'd have to spend around $150 to get the nicer tremolo, though.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Are you thinking about the 7 string version maybe?

Whoops

Mah bad, got confused.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act