Page 1 of 2
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/06/google-is-googles-social-network-with-web-recommendations-video-chat-mobile-group-messaging/

It'd be great if a networking site as popular as FB didn't rely on the user having an iPhone for so many of it's features.

What do we think?

GoogleBuzz was already a bit of a flop.

btw, anyone got any spare invites? :P
I saw this, I doubt it'll take over Facebook. Everyone's too used to Facebook for it to take over quickly, give it 5 years and maybe, maybe Facebook is the new Bebo/MySpace.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

not a chance, it doesnt even appear for canadians yet anyways.

wave failed, buzz failed, this fails next.

the only thing google gets right is search youtube and android, and 2/3 of those were bought.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

the only thing google gets right is search youtube and android, and 2/3 of those were bought.

in the incredibly niche group that wave appeals to, it's doing well.

I use it a lot with friends for school stuff, writing music/songs. it's kewl.
Actually seems pretty cool at first glance. Though I am a bit of a Google fanboy. If anyone's to take over Facebook, it'd be this.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I remember when I used to search stuff on google..Now all it does is tell me to link my accounts because it has my home address and will send naked pictures of itself posing in assless chaps if I don't.
this is gonna flop. no one's gonna take the time to organize their friends into those circles.

what google SHOULD do, is sell this idea to facebook. that way if people don't wanna bother with it, they don't.
Go Veg.
I like it how the videos are so vague. It's really helpful when companies make ads about a product and just have a bunch of cunts talking about their feelings and not describe the product at all.
Quote by mdwallin

It'd be great if a networking site as popular as FB didn't rely on the user having an iPhone for so many of it's features.

Wrong.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I doubt it will take over Facebook, but it should take over the remains of MySpace.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Search.
Gmail.
Docs.
App-based computing.
Cloud computing.
Revolutionizing how internet companies make money through advertising.
Maps.
Earth.
Books.
Mobile computing.

They've gotten a lot right. Sure, some of their projects flop, but their willingness to take chances on risky projects is what made Google great in the first place.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by zippidyduda
Search.
Gmail.
Docs.
App-based computing.
Cloud computing.
Maps.
Earth.
Books.
Mobile computing.

They've gotten a lot right. Sure, some of their projects flop, but their willingness to take chances on risky projects is what made Google great in the first place.

I'd like to add google voice and music to this list.
Free texting that I can access anywhere as well as 85 gigs of free online storage and streaming of my music is awesome.

And wave was awesome it just didn't have enough users
Quote by mdwallin

It'd be great if a networking site as popular as(Invalid img)

wat

What exactly am I missing out from using the normal one from my computer?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I like the hangout thing, would work if they just implemented it into facebook. I would have to actually wear clothes while using my laptop though..
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Quote by mdwallin

Yeah it's already been said a few times, but I'm afraid that is massively off the mark. iPhone Facebook is really very limited compared to PC based Facebook. The only extra is being able to "check-in" to places, and that is complete shit.
I really like the look of this - though it would have to integrate with FB to pull over photos , videos and user details. I think most people are just too into facebook and have too many friends and a huge e-penis because of it, and would hate to have to start from scratch. My facebook is shit and people always get the wrong idea of me after looking at it, so I'd love a fresh platform!

Heres a better demo of it http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/+/demo/
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
What? I have the iPhone facebook app, and it is horribly limited...

True dat, it is also very laggy too.

EDIT: Just watched that video in the OP. The circles tool is an incredibly good idea.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by mdwallin
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/06/google-is-googles-social-network-with-web-recommendations-video-chat-mobile-group-messaging/

What?
I don't have an iPhone yet get to use as much of FB as anyone without an iPhone would want.

Also, I doubt I'll use it unless it successfully kills of FB, which would be a major feat.
Last edited by SG_dave at Jun 29, 2011,
Why is Google always 5 years behind?
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Google knows too much about me already
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by mdwallin

In response to the people questioning this, one thing that you need an iPhone/Android phone for is checking in. You can't do that from a computer. There was some way you could trick it into thinking you were a mobile, but I don't think that works anymore.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by severed-metal
I remember when I used to search stuff on google..Now all it does is tell me to link my accounts because it has my home address and will send naked pictures of itself posing in assless chaps if I don't.

Haha. Hardest I have laughed in a while...
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Quote by zippidyduda
Search.
Gmail.
Docs.
App-based computing.
Cloud computing.
Maps.
Earth.
Books.
Mobile computing.

did you just suggest that cloud computing is good?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
This looks really good; much better than Facebook in my opinion. My only fear is that people will be reluctant to try it out.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
My only fear is that occasionally google'll post my recent searches on my profile and I'll be sat there with "fire eating sex midgets" scrawled across my page.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I think the FB-killer will be something cooked up by moot.

I mean, Canv.as has been extremely successful and that's got a lot of nice tech on it. I reckon moot's next big project in the future will be a fully fledge social networking site that, unlike FB, will maintain moot's view on privacy and he won't sell out his user's info. I hope.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by mdwallin
in the incredibly niche group that wave appeals to, it's doing well.

I use it a lot with friends for school stuff, writing music/songs. it's kewl.

Yeah, same. I used to anyway till it started crashing.
Quote by SG_dave
The idea is right, the execution is balls though.

Well my mates say it takes DAYS off rendering time for their animations with whatever crazy cloud system Adobe has these days, sounds brilliant to me.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
Well my mates say it takes DAYS off rendering time for their animations with whatever crazy cloud system Adobe has these days, sounds brilliant to me.

And he has no problem sending in his (presumably valuable) data off to a third party to be analysed and processed?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've always been a pretty early adopter of stuff like this, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Wave, whatever. I'll get hold of an invite somehow...not sure if it'll have staying power though. I think Facebook is on the way out but I don't think this is the replacement.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Google have got two things right according to you yet 2/3 or 2 things were bought?

2/2 things were bought I think you'll find.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Page 1 of 2