So I'm about to buy my first (decent) electric guitar. I'm very much a beginner, and only know a little bit, bits and pieces of songs I'm interested in. I have decided that I certainly want an SG-style guitar. My question is the difference between these guitars:

Regular G-400

Goth G-400

The reason I'm asking is because the Goth is $50 cheaper, and I prefer the aesthetics, but do not understand why it's cheaper.

Can someone explain the difference (besides the looks) to me? I am concerned that the hardware might be worse on the Goth.
i got my eye on the goth too
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Do you know if there are any hardware differences between the two, or other faults in the cheaper one?
i dont know man. maybe they just dont carry it in alot of stores and its mostly a online thing.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
tyr em out and see what you like best.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I want to say cosmetics are the true difference, as the goth doesn't have all the frills the regular G-400 has.

As for pickups/hardware, I am pretty sure they're the same. I'd check Epiphone's website to compare the two if I was in your shoes.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
I used to own the Goth G400, and I wouldn't wish hhat guitar on anyone. Low end Epis are really terrible. You should get a Gibson SG. I believe the Studio model, whichever is the cheapest. The go for $400 used all day.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
@Offworld92
Gibson SG Special Faded would be the cheapest, just clearing it up for TS.

If anyone really cares on why the Goth is cheaper, well, I would have to guess fewer inlays and the finish is cheaper.

Or TS should go for a SG copy of some sort... look at Agile, LTD and Yamaha. Or at least a regular G-400.
I think the goth has a Killswitch which is located under one of the tone knobs...
I never heard of a tone pot killswitch on the goth model. I may be wrong.

Really, I'd go with the black G-400 rather than the goth model, but that's just me.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
The main difference is the p/u's and the finish the goth has a satin black finish (I'm pretty sure) they will both be of equal quality. I have the vintage G-400 in satin brown. The finish is super smooth and I like the feal of it over the gloss. But eather way I belive that it would make a good quality starter, and its built well enough that besides a p/u swap if you want, to it should last for years.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate