The title explains it all. I'd like to know which Cheap Effect Pedals you think somewhat highly of.

I don't think my playing style and personal preferences matter in this case because, well, I don't have any . I'm still finding styles I like, so I'm willing to try any type of effect. But I'd hate to make the wrong choice and end up with a POS.

I play a Vantage VLP (LP Copy) through an SS Crate (for now), if that matters at all
The entire Cool Cat series from Danelectro would be my starting point. With the possible exception of the metal distortions, which I haven't tried. I use the Cool Cat Vibe, Tremolo, and Fuzz at most every gig. Ibanez' Tone Lok pedals are pretty good, for the most part. DeltaLab pedals (well, new DeltaLab pedals) are good with the exception of the dirt pedals--the OD and distortions are junk, but the chorus is good, the digital delay is very nice, and I've heard good things about the new phaser. And Electro Harmonix isn't that expensive, and their pedals are pretty awesome.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jun 29, 2011,
Id reccomend just buying a mutli-fx for your purposes.

Like the Vox Tonelab, Line 6 Floorpod.

£10 guitar effects will only ever sound like £10 guitar effects.
EHX are my favourite "budget" pedal manufacturers. There's not much you can get from them that you can go wrong with.

If you really want some quality pedals for cheap I'd say do some research into building them yourself, there's lots of kits available online, saves a lot of money, and if you do it right you've got a great sounding pedal.
As much hate as it gets now, I think everyone should at least have a boss DS1 at some point in their guitar playing career. Back in the day it was pretty amazing. If anything, get one so you can mod it to awesomeness!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I bang the drum of the hatred of Boss DS1(fizzy), BUT I just modded mine...Wow,Wow, Wow!
hey if they are in good shape, buy from guitar center used. you can get boss pedals andteh like used for about 40-60 bucks depending on the pedal.

they also have a great return policy and will take it back if its messed up. generally i judge by the picture, and ask the guy on the phone to demo it before he packs it and report back to me before i purchase.
Oh, the Boss DS-1..oh, memories...
I've still got one that I bought in LA as a souvenir. So far, the best use I've found was just straight up circuit-bending it into an oscillator.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
i picked up a guyatone chorus for $40 new and it sounded pretty decent. i haven't played anything low $$$ for a long time though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 on the DS-1... pick up a used one off craiglist (usually ~$20), buy some caps and a LED (<$10), do the Keeley Ultra mod (if you can solder, you'll have no problem with modding: http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-Your-Boss-DS-1/), and enjoy your new Marshall-in-a-pedal ...ok I might be exaggerating, but I was going to get a Tubescreamer, then I took a chance on modding the DS-1, and now I don't need a Tubescreamer, and it's actually the heaviest sounding pedal on my board ^_^
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
You can pick up 20 year old overdrive pedals for nothing on ebay. I got an Aria Pro II overdrive for a couple of quid.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
The entire Cool Cat series from Danelectro would be my starting point. With the possible exception of the metal distortions, which I haven't tried. I use the Cool Cat Vibe, Tremolo, and Fuzz at most every gig. Ibanez' Tone Lok pedals are pretty good, for the most part. DeltaLab pedals (well, new DeltaLab pedals) are good with the exception of the dirt pedals--the OD and distortions are junk, but the chorus is good, the digital delay is very nice, and I've heard good things about the new phaser. And Electro Harmonix isn't that expensive, and their pedals are pretty awesome.

Don't forget about the Danelecto fab pedals

These things are great fun for the money along with their cousins the cool cats lots of fun a little bit of money you can't go wrong.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Not so sure about the Fabs - I've got the distortion and it's noisy as hell, also the tone pot died - touch it and the pedal goes silent
go on ebay getyourself a line6 pod or boss ME for around 30 - 100 quid depending on how new a model you go for
Guitars:
Dean Baby Z FOR SALE
Ibanez GRX170
Bass:
Encore EBP-E4SB
Amps:
Roland Cube 15X
Encore B.B.blaster 10W
Effects:
Korg Toneworks AX10G
Behringer heavy distorsion FOR SALE
Behringer Ultra phase shifter FOR SALE
Quote by Oldmonkeys
I hear the Joyo branded ones sound pretty good, some of them sound exactly like some "boutique" brand models

I knew someone would bring that up.
Quote by smb
Not so sure about the Fabs - I've got the distortion and it's noisy as hell, also the tone pot died - touch it and the pedal goes silent

OK IMHO given the if you get a week worth of entertainment out of one it's a bargain at less than $20 each.

The cool cats are a little better quality as some of the other mentioned. That isn't the point of buying FAB pedals.

FABs are great for what they are cheap you know it's gonna break. Spend a day or three to decide what you want to actually spend more money on.

Just as an example you have a fuzz, an Over Drive a Standard Distortion and something they call a Metal Distortion.

For about 50 bucks you get to play around with a lot things. All those things are very different tones. You can't really get the feel for them in the store so get an el cheapo and take it home.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Meh, I'd have probably gotten more entertainment setting the twenty on fire. I wouldn't recommend the Fabs personally, you're better off saving the cash towards something good.
The Behringer (/flameshield) Vintage Time Machine is cheaper than other analogue delays, and is actually a pretty decent clone of the EHX Deluxe Memory Man.

Look at GFS's pedals too, they're cheap but really quite sturdy and decent for the money.
I wouldn't recommend the fabs, but the cool cat series is great. Especially the first versions.
RIP Gooze

cats
Ibanez CF-7. Decent chorus and a decent flanger. Well worth the $30-40 you can get 'em for.
It's all been said already really but you can't go wrong with the Electro Harmonix nano series. And Ibanez' tone-lok pedals are good for the cash too.

EDIT: Just my opinion, but in my experience, budget multi-effects stuff is generally sub par. Better being patient/going used and getting the individual effects that you actually want.
Last edited by cheames at Jun 29, 2011,
I have the rp355, and it has tons of different effects for only $167.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by cheames
It's all been said already really but you can't go wrong with the Electro Harmonix nano series. And Ibanez' tone-lok pedals are good for the cash too.

EDIT: Just my opinion, but in my experience, budget multi-effects stuff is generally sub par. Better being patient/going used and getting the individual effects that you actually want.

A boatload of effects at the expense of tone doesn't sound too appealing to me either. The only multi-fx I would spend money on would be the Vox Tonelab

Also, thanks everyone for your help, I just ordered a Dano Fish&Chips and I'm looking into several others, but I'm still open to extra suggestions.
New guitar, new amp. Anything else is a waste of money. You can't pile cheap pedals on a cheap amp with a cheap guitar(depending on what series VLP you're talking about) and expect it to sound good. It sounds like I'm being a dick but it's unfortunately true.

A good friend of my girlfriend's dad got a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul for his birthday. He plays THAT top of the line guitar through a Crate SS with a cheap little multi-fx pedal and, I jammed with him and it sounds like when I started with a $120 guitar and $80 amp. Pure garbage. Pure waste of money, because he piled crap on top of a great guitar. Don't go piling crap on top of a not so great guitar.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I used to have fab tone, its the only pedal I've ever owned that changed the sound from day to day. The tubescreamer is fairly expensive but it's used in ever genre. So if you want to start our with something good that you can use in the future, get a tube screamer. MXR blue box is a pretty fun little toy for about 60 USD. DS-1 is a good option because you can just mod it later or use it as a boost when your pedalboard expands.
Quote by VanTheKraut
New guitar,

Any MIJ Vantage is a 'top of the line' guitar. I'm fine there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
new amp.

I don't have the time, knowledge, or patience to deal with a tube amp, so what SS would you recommend?