So, I'm looking for recommendations on brands to seek out. Here are the specifics.

I'm looking for a guitar to play stuff along the lines of The Sword, Mastodon, Baroness, Sleep, etc. Sludgy, riffy, dissonant rock. Lots of beef with lots of clarity through gain, ya dig? My Strats aren't cutting the thrashage.

Some of the things I'm pretty stubborn on. I hate, hate, hate Gibson necks. They're too thick, and I dislike the scale. I don't like how wide Jackson necks are, so rule them out. I haven't played any Ibanez's that Tom would consider to be a true Ibanez, so I'm not ruling them out. My only problem is that I can't find a store in Wisconsin with some decent to good Ibanez guitars. All the ones at the GC's in the area are beginner/intermediate guitars.

So here are some of the specs I need.
-A trem. Any sort will do, I've had just about all of them at one point.
-Maple Neck. Not a definite, but every single one of my guitars has a maple neck for a reason (save for my Taylor).
-Humbuckers. Duh.
-25" Scale or higher. I've got long fingers.
-Cannot be Gibson or Jackson.
-Cannot be a stupid metal shape.
-Cannot be a stupid ****ing metal shape.

I prefer Soloist style guitars. I'm looking for a Super-strat, really, but I'm so used to Fender necks that most others seem lifeless. I had a Charvel Sam Dimas for a while that absolutely SCREAMED! My only issue is finding another one. They're really hit or miss off the production line, so I'd have to find one.

I had an EC-1000 Deluxe for a couple weeks before flipping it for profit. I enjoyed the sound, so maybe ESP?

My budget will be about $1,500 USD. I'm basically looking for suggestions that I can take to the guitar store so I can put my hands on some unusual stuff to see how I like it.

Thanks chaps.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 29, 2011,
DBZ guitars. Check em out. best necks i've played. great stock dbz pups and some hav emg's
My only problem is that I can't find a store in Wisconsin with some decent to good Ibanez guitars.

Make a day/weekend trip to Chicago.
If you're looking at ESP then check these out:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/eclipse2.html
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/viper-series.html

If you want a Soloist/Strat style with a trem from ESP then:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/m.html

Of course there is the LTD versions of those available too.

You might also check out some Deans, like the Vendetta or something older (could get a Dean Cadillac! ). You also could check out some Schecters.

Also, you should look at Samick guitars, they're pretty good, I like mine
http://www.samickguitar.com/products/?lvl1=guitars&lvl2=sCustomShopUsa

LHKEDIT: Also, check out the Agile Valkyrie III, a friend of mine has ones and it sounds pretty boss for the style that you are wanting (The whole, sludgy, smooth, beefy, crisp sound)
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Last edited by lefthandedkid at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster

My budget will be about $1,500 USD. I'm basically looking for suggestions that I can take to the guitar store so I can put my hands on some unusual stuff to see how I like it.

Thanks chaps.

Agile maybe? I've heard good things about them. Maybe PRS or something. One of my friends plays a lot of that stuff and has an Ibanez with some custom pickups in it

agile on a $1500 budget

i would look for some form of ibanez RG prestige. i picked up a 3550MZ for dirt cheap brand new from GC (under $700 on a $1500 or so guitar, only mine didn't come with the case, which i don't need or even want because i already have a closet stocked with caes for nearly anything)

i like it a lot, the neck profile is nice, i know a lot of peope will say to go for a used RG550 from the late 80's or early 90's (not positive on years), i really like the prestige neck profile, being that it seems thicker to me than regular RG necks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Since you say you like Fender necks, try a Fender Showmaster, Fender's discontinued superstrat. I bought mine on sale for $700 but you could probably find one for cheaper. It was the first guitar I bought and it remains my main axe; my other guitars have their uses, but the Showmaster is pretty versatile.
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
Quote by Exhumed91
Since you say you like Fender necks, try a Fender Showmaster, Fender's discontinued superstrat. I bought mine on sale for $700 but you could probably find one for cheaper. It was the first guitar I bought and it remains my main axe; my other guitars have their uses, but the Showmaster is pretty versatile.

i have a celtic showmaster that is one hell of a guitar, mine has no trem though. it plays great and has held up for 6 or so years perfectly, just a lot of fretwear in some spots.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 to the DBZ suggestion. If you can find a store that carries them, definitely try one out, even if it's a stupid ****ing metal shape. The necks are about the same on all of them. Sort of a flat V contour, really comfortable.
I don't know how much they are (I'm in the UK so the stupid website won't show me the American prices) but how about Carvin? 25" scale on their LP style guitars, you can have a trem, whatever you like.

This is a bit of a strange one because you want the feel of a strat but the bands you want to sound like all use Gibsons or Gibson style guitars but you should be able to find a decent compromise between the two.

Ooh just thought - how about a Duesenberg? Maple necks, 25.5" scale. Might need a pickup swap.
Try an ESP M-II.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you dont like how wide the Jackson necks are I am surprised you liked your Charvel

They are the same neck...

In all seriousness, if your wanting to play sludgy things, have you considered a baritone? They do a few ESP baritones if your willing to look around on the second hand market mate, but if your happy to play a 25.5 with a heavier guage string why not check out some guitars like the Horizon II or the Ibanez RG1570. Dont go and spend your whole budget if you can help it.

Though, if you can live without a trem, buy a Fender Jim Root strat, it has everything you love about your favourite fenders, but better for metal in every single way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by jpnyc

Yeah and pay the 10% Cook County sales tax? Better off finding a store in Wisconsin where the state and the county don't double dip on sales taxes.

EDIT: Well, they technically do that as well in Wisconsin, but the taxes are much lower. like 5.5%.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Though, if you can live without a trem, buy a Fender Jim Root strat, it has everything you love about your favourite fenders, but better for metal in every single way.

Yes. Or the Tele.

Ooorrr...

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/signature/gl-56.html
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/signature/jk-1.html

By the way, TS stated he hates Gibson scales but liked his EC-1000 which has the same scale.

Get one of these.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/eclipse2_ahb.html
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/eclipse2-vibrato_vb.html
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0

Maybe...

Also, the San Dimas and Dinky necks feel nothing alike. A bound rosewood fretboard and a one-peice maple neck do tend to vary.

Lefthandkid, this one loooks pretty promising:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/m2-maple.html

Quote by Offworld92
Try an ESP M-II.

Yup, that's the link.

Quote by jpnyc
My only problem is that I can't find a store in Wisconsin with some decent to good Ibanez guitars.

Recommend me good stores in Chicago?

Quote by Shinozoku

By the way, TS stated he hates Gibson scales but liked his EC-1000 which has the same scale.

I had it for two weeks and sold it. Should tell you what you need to know.
They are the same profile matey.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
12 - 16 compound radius ? or am I missing something?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
12 - 16 compound radius ? or am I missing something?

Only the other compound radius and fretboard material.

Either way, small details in sizing won't make a huge difference if you were comparing like necks, but a One-Piece maple and a multi-piece bound rosewood guitar will definitely have a difference in feel.
Oh ok

I cant really convert the metric/imperial things, so sorry I missed that.

Oh yeah maple feels completely different to a bound rosewood neck, I didnt mean to sound like I was trying to pick a pointless argument with you buddy.

In all seriousness I would look into the JR Strat ( its nicer than the tele ) if you can get by without a trem, which if your going to be detuning and using heavy guage strings and the like, would be much better than a guitar with a trem for every day use IMO. In future you could always drop a trem in there if you decide you want one.

I can vouch for the JR being a lovely guitar and if you love Charvel necks, you would love the one on it already. I assume you have already seen the NGD I posted for it when I bought one last year

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
They are the same profile matey.

don't think so... even the jackson necks vary across models.

I mean i could be wrong, but the charvels i tried (teh us pro mods) felt like fender USA necks, pretty much (except with the flatter, compound radius). the jackson ones feel more like speed necks- not ibanez-thin, but still in that ballpark.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?