Page 1 of 3
As the title says - what do you play or use that's not the same old stuff everyone uses - whether it's rare or just not commonly used with bass. Maybe you've stuck a guitar pickup in your bass, maybe you use a keyboard amp, I don't know. Show off your weirdo gear!
Only thing I can really think of is my DR Neon Green strings; they're not exactly a boutique item, but I've never seen anyone else with them, and they get comments everywhere I go.
i guess it would have to be the bass itself
stolen, no name,modded to be lefty, has some illegible signature on it that is fading away,i bet this bass has stories to tell
^ you got a pic of that bass?

Haha I was browsing strings yesterday, saw those neons and they struck me as being pretty cool...they'd look ridiculous on my bass though, a hollowbody Ibanez
Weird bass gear you say?

Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 29, 2011,
its actually not a bad bass if you can get over the fact that it looks like the bastard offspring of a Krappy bass and a Wishbass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It looks like a Seymour Duncan P-90 of some variety but I'm really not sure. I still haven't gotten around to pulling the bass apart and checking out its guts.

As for the sound: It's big and boomy, and doesn't have a whole lot of sustain. The best comparison I can think of is think a '51 Precision with a foam mute and the treble rolled way off. And then make it ugly and fretless.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have the same bass as the bass player in that terrible band. only mines a 6 string but still. boooo.

anyway... my guitar shit strange and unique uber modded 60's japaneese stuff. my bass gear is really normal. schecter stilleto custom 6 (which i guess is strange for being a 6) and an acoustic b200.
no sir away a papaya war is on
The only thing I have that fits into any of this thread is a '93 Ibanez EXB-445. I never see anyone with these monsters, and THEY ARE MONSTERS!!! Complete with EMG pups.
Oh yeah I also have mine tuned E-A-D-G-C.

Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
^ have you got a pic of that headstock? I love 4+1s (and 3+2s too...)

Great bass, I bet with those pickups and tuned up it really has a lot of attack
Oh man You would not believe the attack on this thing, even using fingers it can sound like I'm using a pick. this thing is great, I actually play it more then my Fender jazz.
The '93 had the maple body and REAL EMG's stock.
The best thing is you can find these used for around 200 bucks, or less.

The EX is scratched off of the headstock, but she is still one of my favorite basses (next to my P bass)

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
Oh man You would not believe the attack on this thing, even using fingers it can sound like I'm using a pick. this thing is great, I actually play it more then my Fender jazz.
The '93 had the maple body and REAL EMG's stock.
The best thing is you can find these used for around 200 bucks, or less.

The EX is scratched off of the headstock, but she is still one of my favorite basses (next to my P bass)

Does that say what I think it says in tiny print?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
What tiny print? I think you're seeing things...what does it say? Anything you feel like sharing?
Very top of the headstock, where the Affinity guitars would say "Affinity"

I think it says "penis"
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quite plausible...
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

No it does say penis......not
Quote by FatalGear41

we've had this discussion before.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I suppose my Moog MF-101, isnt hugely used by many players. Alot of DJ's use the mf-101 and other moogfoogers though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
My drummer plays to the guitarist and not me, becuase my notes can be pretty indistinguishable in a live setting.
I run a naturally muddy bass,with a muddy picking style,into a cheapie guitar dist pedal,cascaded into a big muff then into a cranked tube amp.
you'd think it'd sound terrible,but it's actually an un-godly thunder summonable at my fingertips
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Eh... i don't think anything i play is too terribly unique... but i'll play:

-My '95 Ibanez ATK300, first off, is the only white/black one i've ever seen. That's unique-ish.... but the fun part is that back in 2003, i didn't realize that the battery had died. Unfortunately this was during sound check. I HAD an extra 9v, but i didn't have a screw driver. So... being, at that time, a martial artist of 12 years, i did what anyone would do... i held the back of my bass up in front of me, and punched the back control plate off. The crowd loved it. I changed the battery. Everything went better than expected. Because of all that, i never replaced it as a reminder: "Don't get mad. Get rad!!!"

-I am a HUGE fan of the Peavey T series. However, it's not much of a secret that i think the T-40 is by FAR the weakest link of the bunch. My big gripe is that i think it has shitty pickup placement. Though i'm not a HUGE fan of HH basses in general, the G&L L2000 is my favorite... so i took a T-45, added a T-40 bridge pickup, and swapped for a Dillion jazz-style neck. So the result is... the Peavey T-2000:

-I also own one of the rare-er Ibanez basses (love you, Ibanez in the 90's!!!)... the one year only Ibanez CT Bass... in 5 strang:

-At the end of the day though... my main gig bass is now my modded Squier Bronco... strat SD hotrails pickup, new knobs, new pots, painted pick guard, alllll sex:

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."

For me it would be the Kala Uke Bass. Has a real thumpy sound when plugged in. And yes I"ve gigged with it once.
Quote by anarkee

For me it would be the Kala Uke Bass. Has a real thumpy sound when plugged in. And yes I"ve gigged with it once.

WAY up there on my GAS list, is a U Bass!!! That plus my trusty Peavey 25w combo would make my ultimate travel set up!!

How would you compair the tone? Upright kinda thump? Motown thump? A P with nylons kinda thump?

Also, out of curiosity, what kinda gig did you play it at?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Oh... time to post this picture again?

Another unusual thing is that I use extra light guage SEs (95-30) and tune to drop C. I have come to the conclusion that specific drop tuning strings are a scam.
Quote by smb
I don't really get the point of drop tunings on bass. What do you play in drop C?

Changes the tone of the instrument completely. That said, the reason people drop tuned was because they wanted to copy Black Sabbath who started tuning to drop C#, nothing to do with tone but everything to do with Tony Iommi's industrial accident on his last day, he sliced the tips of two of his fingers off.

Personally, I'd be happy to play in standard tuning but guitarists need appeasing, lest they ask for their amp to be turned up and everything else turned down.
I don't mean why do you tune down (I tune to C pretty much all the time) I mean why a drop tuning (a fifth from bottom to second string, the rest in fourths) rather than a standard tuning (all in fourths)

if that makes any sense (I'm not great with music words) maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick
Quote by smb
I don't mean why do you tune down (I tune to C pretty much all the time) I mean why a drop tuning (a fifth from bottom to second string, the rest in fourths) rather than a standard tuning (all in fourths)

if that makes any sense (I'm not great with music words) maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick

So lazy guitarists can bar chords with one finger up and down the E string... and no... no they don't need to go higher than that.

@Spaz... why would you need to do that on a 5 string? Do you tune your B to C?!
Last edited by Din of Win at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win
WAY up there on my GAS list, is a U Bass!!! That plus my trusty Peavey 25w combo would make my ultimate travel set up!!

How would you compair the tone? Upright kinda thump? Motown thump? A P with nylons kinda thump?

Also, out of curiosity, what kinda gig did you play it at?

Its close to a upright thump without the mwah. It works really well with Motown/Reggae. I used it for a small gig (house concert) that was heavy on early R & B and blues. It worked really well.
Quote by shmbluh12
Bit off topic, but have you seen the solidbody U-basses? Horrid!

They take away just about everything that was awesome about the original, but something inside me still wants to try one...

OT: The only weird things about my bass rig, is the fact that I only own a fretless bass, and I use an old boost pedal, intended for guitar, as an OD.
Page 1 of 3