alright. These are the 3 basses I'm really torn between!

Squier Vintage Modified P Bass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass/519638000215000

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass/430661000001422

Epiphone Thunderbird Silverburst:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-epiphone-thunderbird-iv-bass

I need all the thougghts and advice i can get.
Allow me to not help at all:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr300-bass-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass

Seriously though...what do you want to sound like, what features are you after?

I love actives in a solidbody bass myself but you probably want something more old school sounding. I don't know.
Last edited by smb at Jun 29, 2011,
smb is right, Let his wisdom enlighten you.
"The Demon Code prevents me from Declining a rock-off Challenge"

-Satan.
I think he just wants a cool-looking bass guitar..?

Since all of those are relatively same features
I've played thunderbirds before, they do alright with some distortion but other than that I couldn't find them very useable or comfortable. the people who do lke them also admit to them being a 1 trick pony.

the P bass is my current love interst and probably will be the next bass I purchase. the p bass is also a 1 trick pony, but its trick is pretty much just being badass. the P bass tone has been used in every genre of music ever and is an iconic bass for a reason.

the jaguar is also very cool. it has its own look to it and can do the p bass sound just as well as that p bass in my opinion. it also comes with the jazz bridge pickup for added versatility.. the only thing keeping me away form those things is the neck on them. they have a jazz style neck on it (that most people love love love love love, but i just dig the chunkier p necks more)

my verdict is you forget you ever saw the epi, unless you absolutely love the feel/sound of it and you never plan on playing anything but hard rock ever. go play a p bass and a jaguar and see which neck you like better. a jazz will have the same neck on it so if you can't find a jag but can find a jazz you can still test out the neck.

the jag is probably the better option, but feel plays a large part in choosing a bass. if you have to go in blind get the jag.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Zeletros

I do prefer a P Bass over a J bass, which is why i picked it. I thought that the Epiphone Thunderbird has an interesting sound, and yes, that one looks great! But the Squier Jag is the big ?, as I havent heard one, no ever played one.
Quote by Zeletros

or he knows what hes looking for in a bass and has found three basses with features hes loking for and needs us to help make the decision.
Quote by the_perdestrian
or he knows what hes looking for in a bass and has found three basses with features hes loking for and needs us to help make the decision.

Thanks for the support, I have listened to 2 of the 3 and had decided on them by sound as well as look. Again though, I'm not familiar with the Jag bass as much as i am the P bass and thunderbird. I have played a P form Squier before and thought it was just magnificent. I love my current bass (5 string cherry Alvarez Electric) but a 5 string isnt what i need right now, and im wanting to explore other basses a bit more. Im selling ym 5 string if interested.
Ah, the P bass neck is thicker than the Jags than? Im very taken to the thinner necks, as i love to incorporate in as many turn arounds as i can in my songs (without overwhelmng of course) and a thin neck is ideal to me.
I'd be tempted by the Jag tbh. It'll sound pretty P-ish with the split pickup soloed (obviously) but it can do plenty more too. Also the neck is basically a Jazz bass one (am I right here guys?) which is that tiny bit thinner than a P one.

I'll admit the silverburst Epi does look quite nice but I'm not a fan of the bridge design and the things are notorious for neck dive. I've only played them acoustically so I couldn't tell you what they sound like.
no problem.

but yeah, last time I was in a GC I played P basses and jags extensively. a jag with a solo'd P pickup sounds exactly like a P. ( i even played those same model of basses that you have lsted.) but lke I said, the jag has a thinner faster jazz neck (which you may or may not like coming from a 5 string) and a jazz pick up.
Well , after everyones help, I have decided on the Jaguar Bass! Thanks to all the help.
I'm wanting mine to be seafoam green. I know that color should'nt be too important, but do you all have any suggestions on that matter? I chose seafoam as it's just always been a favorite instrument color of mine.
Quote by smb
I thought it was black only?

On the site yes, but I might refinish it. You know, so it's not the EXACT same one on the site =3 PLus, im not knowledged in the least bit in the actual mechanics/technology of a Bass, i just can play one alright. Is there any custom work I should do to it?
Ah right...yeah seafoam would be pretty nice...with the rosewood and tort it'd look a bit like the guitar here...do they do cream P and J pickups?
some of the jaguar basses had some weird controls. like instead of a regular tone knob it would have one that clicked into a couple of spots. lke a 10 way tone selector. it worked fine but was kind of annoying, you might wan to swap the pot out with a regular one.

not sure if that particular jag had that kind of knob though.
The one pictured on MF, has stacked knobs. two tone, two volume, which will give the OP a myriad of tonal variations.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.