any one know what pickups kurt cobain used in his fender mustang and stratocaster, i mean the ones he used in his single coil guitars not the humbuckers
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge.
For a full list google something like kurtsequipment and there is a whole website about it
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
I have to imagine he used whatever came stock in his guitars. Kurt wasn't a "tone wh*re", and furthermore he hated spending money, so I think that a pickup swap would have seemed frivolous to him. The aforementioned website probably lists equipment that will get you close to his tone.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Last edited by breadfan82 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by breadfan82
I have to imagine he used whatever came stock in his guitars. Kurt wasn't a "tone *****", and furthermore he hated spending money, so I think that a pickup swap would have seemed frivolous to him. The aforementioned website probably lists equipment that will get you close to his tone.

Nope that website is compiled from people who worked with him (techs, studio people etc) He wasnt a tone freak but he knew what he wanted, and although he had a very simple set up, the thing he probably modded the most was his guitars. His Jaguars had a few things changed (bridge replaced, pickup toggle replaced, pups replaced) replaced pickups in strats and mustangs. On most pictures you see of him live the changes are pretty obvious.
Here is that website:
http://www.kurtsequipment.com/
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Yes Kurt used stock single coils.
Yes in some guitars he replaced the bridge (sometimes the neck) pickup with a SD Hot rails.
But if you want to sound closer to Kurt whack a Duncan JB in the bridge position of a strat as he hardly ever used the neck and middle positions.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)