I'd never played before last night but I had a go and it seemed like a pretty good sport. A friend is giving me a lesson tonight. So I thought I'd ask the pit if anyone plays, some tips on how to get good, what sort of rackets are decent etc.

Anyone?
Quote by ZombieCommando
Firstly, you'll want to make sure that you hit the ball with the racket. Just some general advice for you there.

Crap advice, you hit your opponent. That way you win every time.
Invest in a pair of goggles and a cup. Taking a hit from the ball in the eyes or balls is not something you forget.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Just watch your technique man, you know. You know, if you screw up your technique at beginning you'd have to spend a lot of time to fix it later on, you know. So just watch how you play and try to use the correct technique, you know
Ah - it wouldn't have occurred to me to get a cup...that's good thinking.
Quote by ZombieCommando
That's ridiculous! Elephants can't talk! Also, even if they could talk, why would they be talking to a lemon? Say no to drugs!

Ever think maybe you're trying a bit too hard?
Last edited by smb at Jun 29, 2011,
Lol at the last few posts

Also, nah, I don't play or have never tried. Looks like a weird sport
Used to play three times a week. 45 - 90 minutes each time. Now I play team squash twice a week, usually for much longer. It is a great way to stay in shape.

Advice?

Be quick at switching hands because if not, you are playing racquetball. In your spare time, take a regular ball and toss it side to side in your hands over and over and over again.

Are you playing at a gym?
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Okay. Its always best to do laps in a pool after a lengthy game of Squash, rather it was singular or with another.

Do you switch hands and do the side play rules or no?
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
er...maybe? What are the side play rules? I've only tried it once, I'm pretty clueless that's why I thought I'd ask here so I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing tonight
I play squash...Play tennis for 15 minutes or so before playing squash and you'll feel like superman
Quote by smb
er...maybe? What are the side play rules? I've only tried it once, I'm pretty clueless that's why I thought I'd ask here so I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing tonight
You begin in the middle of the court and the serve that commences the action is dependent on what hand you use. If you are ambidextrous, then it is whatever hand you choose, so for the sake of conversation, lets just say you serve with your right.

You hit the ball with your right hand hard enough to make the ball return to you within three seconds. The only trick however is you MUST do two things. The first thing is you MUST hit the ball to the very left side of the wall before you and the second thing is you MUST switch the racket from your right to left hand to repeat the procedure only hitting it on the opposite side.

In other words, you can never hit the ball with the racket in the same hand twice in a roll and you can never hit the ball to the same side twice. So if you are standing on the right side as the ball is coming back to you, then you must hit the ball with the racket in your left hand and you must hit it to the left. The ball is only allowed one bounce on its return to you as well, otherwise you have to start all over.

The point is, besides excellent exercise, is sharpen your hand-eye coordination, practice consistent breathing and your ability to remain in different stances, sprinting side to side all the while, the heels of your shoe never touches the floor except when you plant your foot to hit the ball.

If you follow these rules, and you succeed in going as long as you can without stopping, you will feel the effects of what you are doing within two minutes. Once you have learned how to fully play, get someone else that also knows how to play well and start playing team version. The same rules apply but you are never allowed to look anywhere by directly in front of you and you must avoid running into the other person.

Despite how complicated I just made it seem, trust me, it is loads of fun and a great way to stay healthy. One of the best sports you can play. Just like when you lift weights however, NEVER do it two days in a roll because your entire body is being exercised and your muscles need time to recover. Play like every two days and keep a schedule going. If you do you will see the resulting change in your entire body but especially your deltoids, quadriceps, hamstring and arm and leg biceps, triceps muscles within two weeks.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by smb
I didn't try that, no, sounds pretty challenging. Thanks for explaining it.
Well it is very much a cardiovascular workout. Try to imagine it as like spending an hour straight on a treadmill. In which case, I would also suggest making sure you are wearing very comfortable shoes. It is very easy, since you are moving side to side, to twist, sprain or break your ankles, or destroy the interior ligaments of your knees.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Jun 29, 2011,
Fun game, but it absolutely destroys me. I am usually wreaked by the end of it.

Have you ever seen the pros playing it, they are like ninjas o_0
Just remember, speed is a by-product of accuracy.

To start off hit the ball against the wall at 16th notes with a metronome set at 45bpm.

When you're comfortable with that then raise the tempo by no more than 5bpm at a time.

Repeat this until you are comfortable at around 16th notes at 200bpm.

You will then be a squash champion.
Haven't you ever been taught that you don't play with your food?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I played off and on for a couple of years, love the game and how much you can put into it.
Not much you can do wrong but here is a few pointers:

Either buy glasses or really make sure you never look back when your partner is behind you about to hit the ball. Better to lose a point than an eye.
Hitting hard feels good, but in most cases a controlled shot is better; think about what you want and try to get the ball there.
Keep your racket pointing up in your hand and keep it in a firm grip, this will safe time getting ready for a stroke.
Keep your level of play matched to your partner: I usually play for fun, so if there is a good chance I will hit my partner on the return, I won't go all out. I expect the same back and I never come back black and blue. Make sure you before how competitive you are playing.
Don't get an expensive light racket, as a beginner you are going to hit the walls and floor a few times and the expensive racket are more likely to break when abused. A cheap aluminium racket in the lower price class is good in the beginning. A heavier racket even helps with a stabile stroke and getting more power with less technique.