Last jam session I did a clumsy, stupid demonstration of the...touch sensetive nature of tube amps. I strummed my guitar quite hard while on the Top Boost channel. The volume dramatically drops and 90% of the distortion is gone. About 30 seconds later, the volume comes back.
Now the volume drops this way every time I play on the Top Boost channel. What is wrong with it?
I bought it new about six months ago. The Normal Channel is still fine.
Might be the tube(s) that are on that channel. New tubes should sort it out.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Replacing tubes is not always the answer....Test them first if you can find an old school tube tester.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Hmm...$200+ tube tester you're going to have to scrounge around for months to find, and then figure out how to calibrate, or a $10 replacement 12AX7...decisions, decisions.
Need I replace all tubes or is there any way I can tell which ones are broken?
Should be the 12AX7 second farthest from the power tubes (V2). That's the only one that's used exclusively by the top boost channel. It could be V1 (farthest from power tubes), but that one's shared half-and-half with the normal channel so it's unlikely that just one half is dying.
Right, thank you. By the way, is this something I can do by myself or should I appoint a proffessional?
You can do it yourself. Pulling the chassis on an AC30 is a pain in the ass, but just don't touch anything other than the tubes and the parts you can touch when the chassis is in the amp and you'll be fine.
Quote by Pat_s1t
Anyone else read that as "Have I destroyed my AC130?"

I didn't, perhaps you play too much COD
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by Saesang
Have I destroyed my AC30?

I would never want those words to come out of my mouth.
Quote by Saesang
Last jam session I did a clumsy, stupid demonstration of the...touch sensetive nature of tube amps. I strummed my guitar quite hard while on the Top Boost channel. The volume dramatically drops and 90% of the distortion is gone. About 30 seconds later, the volume comes back.
Now the volume drops this way every time I play on the Top Boost channel. What is wrong with it?
I bought it new about six months ago. The Normal Channel is still fine.
I wouldn't say that was your fault. Just sounds like a tube blew.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
i think that sounds like power tubes going, thats normally the case with volume drops!

word of advice, JJS IN THE POWER SECTION and a mix of old RFTs and Tung Sols in the preamp. Im in heaven with my AC30s new tubes atm