Well, I was playing thrash metal on my acoustic guitar and finally decided that this wasn't going to work. I'm restricted with a budget-around US$250 to maybe even $350.
I want to play everything...from Dimebag Darrel shred to Pink Floyd or Zep. And I really want a guitar with a licensed/copy Floyd Rose bridge.
Anything you recommend?
Last edited by devinbedari at Jun 29, 2011,
How is the ESP-LTD MH50 and the Ibanez GRG-170?
How does the LTD-50's bridge compare with an original floyd rose, as in its lifetime and duration?
Quote by devinbedari
Well, I was playing thrash metal on my acoustic guitar and finally decided that this wasn't going to work. I'm restricted with a budget-around US$250 to maybe even $350.
I want to play everything...from Dimebag Darrel shred to Pink Floyd or Zep. And I really want a guitar with a licensed/copy Floyd Rose bridge.
Anything you recommend?

No, no and no.

Any guitar for 350$ with a floating bridge will be bullshit.

Buy a good solid bridge guitar for that price and be happy you don't have to re-tune guitar after playing 1 solo.
Based on the bands you wanna play (led zep and modern stuff), then DO NOT get a cheap floyd rose guitar!

Firstly, floyd roses mean you'll have a locking nut, making it impossible to down tune or do any kind of alternate tuning (used in lots of zep stuff).

Also, yeah cheap FRs are terrible.

A solid bridge / hard tail is what you want and any humbucker guitar should do the trick - I personally recommend Ibanez RG series for price, playability and coil taps (single and humbucker alternating pick ups).

LTD at that price are too cheap sounding. not warm enough for classic rock!

good luck!

:-)
Quote by funkymonk1985

...A solid bridge / hard tail is what you want and any humbucker guitar should do the trick - I personally recommend Ibanez RG series for price, playability and coil taps (single and humbucker alternating pick ups)....
:-)

How is the RG350?
looks like a great guitar - I have the rgt42dfx which is a model or two up but same neck and pickups.

The RG350 has single coils and humbuckers - so great for led zep (single coil and humbucker) and pantera (humbucker only).
however, Ibanez edge pro floyd roses WILL and DO go out of tune if you try and do some dimebag squeels!
Do not get a Floyd
- For that price, the Floyds will suck.
- Setting up a Floyd is annoying, takes time and will put you off from playing.

Instead, I recommend an Ibanez RG2EX1.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Do not get a Floyd

looks good!

+1
do not get a floyd rose. licensed floyd's, the ones found on most anything under $1000, are generally quite poor. the are often poorly made out of inferior materials and are consequently difficult to set-up properly, drift from their set-up and wear out quickly. save yourself the inevitable grief and get something with a fixed bridge. get a floyd once you're experienced (a true beginner wouldn't be able to use a floyd in playing anyways)
I really reccomend ESP LTD
It is perfect for Heavy Metal, Trash Metal and a lot of others music styles.
Quote by Woffelz
Do not get a Floyd

+1. My first electric, it served me well, very solid guitar for the price.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Quote by Woffelz
Do not get a Floyd

I guess the trem is a no-no, thanks for the info guys.

I've read a few reviews about the RG2EX1 and on the negative side, I heard that the bridge pickup sucks, and the guitar was built for metal and nothing more.

EDIT: Right now, I like the RG350, not for its trem, but because it has a single coil for blues. Right now, I don't really care about the trem. I am a beginner, I don't even think I'll use it. I don't think that there is any metal guitar out there that that has a H-S-H config without a trem.
Last edited by devinbedari at Jun 30, 2011,
schecter do coil taps on most of their guitars - basically you have two humbuckers but pull up the volume knob and they both turn into single coils . . . .

AND

they have lots without a trem

AND

they're great - you get loads for your money!
Quote by funkymonk1985
schecter do coil taps on most of their guitars - basically you have two humbuckers but pull up the volume knob and they both turn into single coils . . . .

AND

they have lots without a trem

AND

they're great - you get loads for your money!

Schecter. If I find one in my country, I'll definitely go with schecter.
I'm not sure why people are putting down the licensed floyd rose. I bought an agile AL-2000 with a LFR and I abused the hell out of that thing, and I never once had to re-tune it. The set up only took me about an hour (and it was my first time doing it). Due to other reasons, I returned that guitar, but the floyd is one of the things I miss about having that guitar.
I agree with Ragu35 it's not that hard. And if you're really worried you could always get a git shop to set it up for you. But the most fun is the hardship from learning about your instrument and setting it up right (it will frustrate you to no end the first two times or when you change gauge of string) but once you learn it it's awesome as.

There's tons of tutorials on youtube and if its done right it doesn't go out of tune too easily. As for cheap floating trems they might give you trouble but I'm sure you could pick up a decent one if you look around and wait for a special to come on.
I got an ibanez rg4exfm1 for my second electric. it has an edge III trem, and as long as the trem is at the right angle (which is easy to fix) and you keep the same string gauges in -very important you do this-, it works perfect. and its the same price as the rg350. i can do dimebag squeals pretty well with it. good luck man
Quote by ibanart300
I agree with Ragu35 it's not that hard. And if you're really worried you could always get a git shop to set it up for you. But the most fun is the hardship from learning about your instrument and setting it up right (it will frustrate you to no end the first two times or when you change gauge of string) but once you learn it it's awesome as.

There's tons of tutorials on youtube and if its done right it doesn't go out of tune too easily. As for cheap floating trems they might give you trouble but I'm sure you could pick up a decent one if you look around and wait for a special to come on.

I agree with you on the learning part, and I really love the RG-350, but I feel I will have problems when I drop tuning. It makes me feel that I will spend most of my time adjusting the trem instead of playing.
I know that the edge III is not such a bad bridge and I don't plan on abusing it by divebombing or anything, I just want to flutter or vibrato from time to time.
You can drop tune FR guitars. You can either get an EVH (Eddie Van Halen) D-Tuna or you can try tuning the guitar with a little trick that some people seem to get away with where they leave all the fine tuners up bar the 6th E string which is left all the way down. They get all strings into standard tuning and lock everything down. Then they use the fine tuner on the 6th string that was left all the way down and undo it bringing it back up until it drops that string to D as an example and I believe that does the trick from what I've seen.

You don't spend your whole time adjusting it like once you have it figured and set up it hardly needs to be touched. I hardly ever need to adjust mine and I do little dive bombs/flutters/vibrato and it stays in tune. Ultimately the choice is yours see if you can borrow one off of a friend and see how you like it after a week. I can guarentee if it has been set up right it will take heaps of abuse before it even drops the slightest out of tune.