Hi,

Probably a bit of a newb question for someone who has been playing for 2 years but:

I've been having a bit of trouble finding a key that Am (A C E) & BMaj7 (B D# F# A#)
fit into.

Could anyone help me out?

Many Thanks
They could be in Em

Am is the 4th of the scale and the Bmaj7 is the major 5th.
The reason the fifth is major is because you used the Em harmonic scale which has the raised 7th.(D#)
Also try going from Bmaj7 to an Em does it sound resolved?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Jun 29, 2011,
^There's no A# or D# in Em. Those two chords can't fit into any basic diatonic scale, because the diatonic scales can't have two or more half-steps in a row (the chords you listed include the notes A A# B and C, which is strictly chromatic). If the two chords sound great together, don't worry too much about labeling the key. If you have any questions about theory you can PM me.
The great thing about major and minor keys is that you can borrow and vary the chords within the progression as you wish. These chords could theoretically be in ANY key. To find the key of a song, find where it resolves.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by eatfresh1736
^There's no A# or D# in Em. Those two chords can't fit into any basic diatonic scale, because the diatonic scales can't have two or more half-steps in a row (the chords you listed include the notes A A# B and C, which is strictly chromatic). If the two chords sound great together, don't worry too much about labeling the key. If you have any questions about theory you can PM me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I went through writing up all the Major keys, trying to make sense out of it and i still couldn't get it.

Now i know why, i can't believe i didn't notice those half steps.

Thanks again, that was much help.
Quote by eatfresh1736

He used elements of the harmonic minor in it.
In E harmonic minor the scale is E F# G A B C D# E
The A# is a chromatic note
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.