I've finally saved enough pennies for another acoustic after my Martin 000-15 got stolen in April. I was in Guitar Center yesterday and this beautiful aged guitar was sitting in the glass case in the acoustic section. I got an employee to open it and started playing it and it had the same smooth buttery feel as my other Martin. The sound is great, and it is definitely a looker, but it does have alot of the wear that a guitar from the 70's might have accumulated over the years. I know that only I can be the judge, but is this guitar worth the $1700 price tag? I've done some research and alot of people seem to complain about 70's Martins because of neck issues prior to Martin installing Truss rods in all of their guitars (I forgot to check to see if this guitar had one). I'd appreciate people with experience buying older guitars to lend some advice. Thanks
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
i would say keep doing your research. online forums tdpri, martin forums, acoustic guitar forums, you will find a lot of great information there. secondly do a national craigslist search do this:
martin d-18 site:craigslist.org
that will bring up all of them, see if you can find vintage ones, see what they are going for, check guitar center used, check ebay. find out what the ball park is on prices. keep in mind guitar center when buying used gears pays 60% of market value. so go in there and negotiate. at least say you will only pay this amount. if they are asking $1700 you should not pay a dime more than that. considering tax would be in the $150 ballpark at least have them eat that, which they more than can.

good luck, wish i had more advice
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
ok just checked guitar center used they have 3 other early 70's d-18's and they are all more expensive then the one you are looking at!

also if doing that national craigslist search i posted do it in google, yahoo wont work
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
whether a used guitar is worth it to me depends on some things. will it need a neck reset? does it have any issues that will need to be fixed? are the frets worn down? are there cracks or just wear? are all the joints tight? is the guitar bellying badly?

it's lower than the price on this one at elderly that's had a refret
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-5712.htm

a little higher than this one on ebay, but they don't mention whether the crack on this one is stabilized although it has had a neck reset
http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Martin-D-18-Vintage-Acoustic-Guitar-Original-Case-/290564117242

btw, i believe - and i could be wrong - that this guitar has a truss rod, but it's not an adjustable truss rod. personally i'm a huge fan of two-way adjustable truss rods - they allow one to switch string gauge back and forth, and if you live in an area where there are large humidity changes, it can also come in very handy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I would have had the twin to that guitar. I bought a D-18 right around 1976, and it was a very fine instrument. 600 bucks back then....
That sounds like a reasonable price IF it's in really good shape and shows no sign of having the neck needing a re-set or extensive fretwork....
Before I dropped almost 2 bills on a used instrument of that vintage, I'd want an experienced repairman to look it over thoroughly.
I have a friend at the same store who is the assistant guitar tech so I'm going to have him look at it. Thanks for all of the help!
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....