Page 1 of 4
Alright so I see their stuff everywhere, TV, billboards, internet. I can remember this since I was around ten, but it seems like they have really weird tactics; like showing nuclear bomb explosions, dead fetuses, skeletons, etc. in their commercials and saying that it's all caused by tobacco. Or that the tobacco industry is hunting down people and trying to kill them...I find it really contradictory to its name; 'The Truth'. What do you guys think of it? I think that people who want to smoke are going to smoke whether or not some chick with a hole in her neck is the most promoted video on youtube.

So are they just blowing a lot of money? I'd say that video with the chick with the hole in her neck has been promoted for a few months now, and is definately the most promoted one, and it only had 15,000 views last I saw.

And why are they using these weird tactics, why not just give the real truth? I mean most adults have already made the choice, there are a few in the border line one way or another, but it's probably more directed towards kids. So why are they trying to scare a desensitized population of kids.

Seems like a lot of work to go through to attempt to screw an industry, because no kid can give any legit facts against tobacco, they can't even relate the commercials to it.

discuss...
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
What are you on about?
The warning's on cig packets here all make perfect sense, pictures of tumours, toothless mugs and all that crap with warnings
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by 801Current
why not just give the real truth?

Because no-one is allowed to know, I'd love to know what's in the tobacco I smoke - I know for sure there are additives to increase nicotine's addictive properties and I assume all manner of industrial waste goes in there too (hey, that stuff is safe enough for drinking water, why not smoke it?).
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Tobacco is dangerous and on the wane, and these ads aren't going to convince anyone on either side. I agree with you in that few will be swayed. The adults who smoke aren't just going to stop and neither are the teens planning on it.
If this sounded exceedingly idiotic I apologize, it's very early.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I feel the same way about those as I do about anti drug commercials. Anti drug commercials make me want to do more drugs, and anti smoking commercials make me want to smoke a cigarette. I think I'll go have one right now.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by CG Man16

Haha that made me feel better

Quote by Trowzaa
What are you on about?
The warning's on cig packets here all make perfect sense, pictures of tumours, toothless mugs and all that crap with warnings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujiL0p9NnNQ

Looks like the campaign might have only been run in Utah, but seriously its pretty ****ed, and there is more...
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by 801Current
Haha that made me feel better

Looks like the campaign might have only been run in Utah, but seriously its pretty ****ed, and there is more...

That explains the retarded nature of the campaign.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
The raeson there are weird advertising is because if you say "herpenderping will kill you" no one will listen.

Just like road safety ads with the "don't use a mobile". People still do it. It's always a waste of money until they are personally affected and only then might they stop.
Quote by metacarpi
That explains the retarded nature of the campaign.

Yeah, I gotta get out of here.

Quote by Silent Murder
The raeson there are weird advertising is because if you say "herpenderping will kill you" no one will listen.

Just like road safety ads with the "don't use a mobile". People still do it. It's always a waste of money until they are personally affected and only then might they stop.

Wouldn't more people stop knowing legitimate facts rather than just seeing pictures of dead babies and weird stuff, I mean people are logical. and scaring them through the TV commercial isn't going to work. And I'm not counting the stupid facts like; 1200 people die every day some how, in some way, sort of related to tobacco. I mean like risk of heart attack...etc.etc.

Seems like their campaign strategy just sucks, most campaigns will try to appeal to a certain audience, this just appeals to no one
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Tabacco is as dangerous as they say. However, the effects of those decaying teeth and such are what happens to CHAIN smokers.

Your lungs are permanently damaged when you smoke, damage that can not be reversed, or healed by any means. Your lung capacity goes down ever so slightly everytime you smoke, and while you will get used to it, you will never be as capable as before.

Smoking does have mental benefits, however is also highly addictive. Most people don't realize they are even addicted to cigrettes, but even if you smoke one a day, you are still addicted. If you do smoke so little and dont believe me, I suggest you stop smoking, and come back and tell me if you had any urges at all. Because that is addiction.

I only know this because I picked up smoking to understand the concept of an addiction and to learn of any mental benefits from smoking. My conclusion that while smoking can allow you to clear your mind and let you set yourself up for success it also comes at a decently heavy price.

In short, while disgusting and excessive, those signs are the truth of what normally does happen to someone who lets their addiction get out of control, which saddly, can happen to anyone.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't smoke anymore, however, I don't look down upon people who do either, it's a choice, as long as you know the benefits and dangers and you make an educated decision.
Last edited by Slayton101 at Jun 29, 2011,
its a conspiracy man!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by MakinLattes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7bHdo2DJHY&feature=related

Shit like this made smoking cool.

I think I too will go smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2wST3eLBg
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
because it is bad for you
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by Slayton101
Most people don't realize they are even addicted to cigrettes, but even if you smoke one a day, you are still addicted.

Not true.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by 801Current

Oh America...
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Zeppelin256
Not true.

You're wrong, sorry, but try to read the rest of that sentance and include whatever experience you think you have on the subject. You don't think you're addicted when you get used that one cigrette and your body expects it every day? That's denial. I dare you to go back, read the rest of what I wrote and then try not to have that desire while you quit that one cigrette a day. I promise you, you will have an urge and that is addiciton.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I feel the same way about those as I do about anti drug commercials. Anti drug commercials make me want to do more drugs, and anti smoking commercials make me want to smoke a cigarette. I think I'll go have one right now.

I love the one with the talking dog lecturing him about pot. If I was high enough where my dog was lecturing me about smoking, I'd have the giggles so hard. Also the couch melting girl.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Slayton101
You're wrong, sorry, but try to read the rest of that sentance and include whatever experience you think you have on the subject. You don't think you're addicted when you get used that one cigrette and your body expects it every day? That's denial. I dare you to go back, read the rest of what I wrote and then try not to have that desire while you quit that one cigrette a day. I promise you, you will have an urge and that is addiciton.

Back when I was still only smoking 3-4 a day I was able to go weeks without cigarettes. You must have an extremely addictive personality if you can get addicted while only smoking one cigarette a day.
Quote by L2112Lif
I think they're wannabes, who copy the attention-grabbing tactics of activists for actually important causes, not "tobacco is wacko if yr a teen, herp derp"
Quote by tayroar
I love the one with the talking dog lecturing him about pot. If I was high enough where my dog was lecturing me about smoking, I'd have the giggles so hard. Also the couch melting girl.

I would always be high if animals spoke to me. That doesn't make me want to stop using drugs, it makes me think "Holy shit! That dog is talking!!! I need to do more drugs so my animals will talk to me!".
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I would always be high if animals spoke to me. That doesn't make me want to stop using drugs, it makes me think "Holy shit! That dog is talking!!! I need to do more drugs so my animals will talk to me!".

Oh god, they need to make a comedy version of Lassy where her owners are always stoned, but she can talk while they're stoned but they can't do shit to help little Timmy.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
Oh god, they need to make a comedy version of Lassy where her owners are always stoned, but she can talk while they're stoned but they can't do shit to help little Timmy.

That would be epic!

*Bark bark*

"lol the dogs talking!"

*Bark bark*

"lololololololol"

And little Timmy will never be found.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Slayton101

Well, my great grandpa was a chain smoker, one day he just threw away what was left in his pack and quit. Never smoked again, yeah there are people who are addicted, I have kids coming up to me all the time asking for stogges or if I want to go smoke with them. But fact is people quit all the time, some people are addicted some are not it depends on your personality.

That's what 'The Truth' fails to say.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by Slayton101

Last year I smoked a cigarette every day when I got home from school. Since getting home for summer last month I haven't smoked any and have no desire to unless I'm drunk. I'm not addicted.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Slayton101
Tabacco is as dangerous as they say. However, the effects of those decaying teeth and such are what happens to CHAIN smokers.

Your lungs are permanently damaged when you smoke, damage that can not be reversed, or healed by any means. Your lung capacity goes down ever so slightly everytime you smoke, and while you will get used to it, you will never be as capable as before.

Smoking does have mental benefits, however is also highly addictive. Most people don't realize they are even addicted to cigrettes, but even if you smoke one a day, you are still addicted. If you do smoke so little and dont believe me, I suggest you stop smoking, and come back and tell me if you had any urges at all. Because that is addiction.

I only know this because I picked up smoking to understand the concept of an addiction and to learn of any mental benefits from smoking. My conclusion that while smoking can allow you to clear your mind and let you set yourself up for success it also comes at a decently heavy price.

In short, while disgusting and excessive, those signs are the truth of what normally does happen to someone who lets their addiction get out of control, which saddly, can happen to anyone.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't smoke anymore, however, I don't look down upon people who do either, it's a choice, as long as you know the benefits and dangers and you make an educated decision.

After a number of years of a not smoking, an ex smoker will be very similar to a non smoker physically.

Not necessarily.

The over the top ads are just as bad as glorifying it. They want people to do things without knowing why. Companies want people to think they're cool by associating cool images with cigarettes and anti-smoking people want people to fear them for no reason with the same tactic.

It's dangerous, unhealthy and affects people around you. Don't scare people, educate.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Back when I was still only smoking 3-4 a day I was able to go weeks without cigarettes. You must have an extremely addictive personality if you can get addicted while only smoking one cigarette a day.

Again, that's a false assumption you are making on yourself. Why do you think you went back to smoking? Yes, because you wanted to, or because you decided to, however, ANY urges you get, regardless of how slight, is a mental desire to have a cigarette. It takes 72 hours for nicotine to get out of your system, after that, it is a mental addiction, which can last a very long time, from months to potentially years.

People who drink and go clean are the easiest way for me to offer you some proof to show you. They quit for months, even years, one drink can send them down the hole again. All because of that deep mental addiction seeded inside.

On a side note, you should refrain from trying to attack the person you are debating, it's bad etiquette.
Quote by BladeSlinger
After a number of years of a not smoking, an ex smoker will be very similar to a non smoker physically.

Not necessarily.

The over the top ads are just as bad as glorifying it. They want people to do things without knowing why. Companies want people to think they're cool by associating cool images with cigarettes and anti-smoking people want people to fear them for no reason with the same tactic.

It's dangerous, unhealthy and affects people around you. Don't scare people, educate.

Exactly my thoughts, seems like they are targetting mainly teens and the teens who tend to smoke cigarettes are generally anticultural, rebelious type. I don't think an ad campaign is going to affect someone who doesn't watch or listen to TV and doesnt respect authority. and yeah, 'the truth' critisizes the tobaccos industry's advertising while it does the same thing.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by Slayton101
Again, that's a false assumption you are making on yourself. Why do you think you went back to smoking? Yes, because you wanted to, or because you decided to, however, ANY urges you get, regardless of how slight, is a mental desire to have a cigarette. It takes 72 hours for nicotine to get out of your system, after that, it is a mental addiction, which can last a very long time, from months to potentially years.

People who drink and go clean are the easiest way for me to offer you some proof to show you. They quit for months, even years, one drink can send them down the hole again. All because of that deep mental addiction seeded inside.

On a side note, you should refrain from trying to attack the person you are debating, it's bad etiquette.

You're assuming one cigarette a day is enough to cause someone to be addicted. We could go round and round with this. Everyone reacts differently, just like all other addictive substances.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by 801Current
Well, my great grandpa was a chain smoker, one day he just threw away what was left in his pack and quit. Never smoked again, yeah there are people who are addicted, I have kids coming up to me all the time asking for stogges or if I want to go smoke with them. But fact is people quit all the time, some people are addicted some are not it depends on your personality.

That's what 'The Truth' fails to say.

Good for him, that's a fine example of will power. Yes, I agree, some people are most certainly not as addicted as some, however, even the smallest desire is a sign of addiction. Some people don't seem to understand that.
Quote by Slayton101

So having craving for fast food means that I am addicted? I think not, I would say craving is different from addiciton, addiction is dependency. You can crave anything, and yes addicts crave their substance, but they 'need' it.

Quote by Slayton101
Good for him, that's a fine example of will power. Yes, I agree, some people are most certainly not as addicted as some, however, even the smallest desire is a sign of addiction. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Explain please.

Yes a craving could lead to addiciton, and I think that there are different levels of addiction. But I do not think a craving or want for something is a sign of addiction. That would just mean that everyone is addicted to everything;
I would be addicted to:
petting my dog
eating
the computer
guitar
ultimate guitar
longboarding....
I mean it's unending, and you can't say you are addicted to something that oyu can go months and months without, even if you want to do it along the way.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by Slayton101

This is entirely wrong.

Desire is not addiction. Need is addiction.

I want to have sex right now, I have a large desire to. If I don't have sex soon, I won't start freaking out because I don't have a need to aka a sex addiction.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Cool story bro. My brother just smoked for shits and gigs back in the day and now he is 34 and a chain smoker even though he wants to quit. The fact is, cigs are loaded with addictive shit so it isn't just 'lol u have an extremely addictive personality if you addicted to smokes'. You're a dumbass if you think anything close to that.

The fact is, smoking cigs is incredibly unhealthy. I have no problem with people who chose to smoke them, don't get me wrong there I enjoy tobacco myself. But I also don't have a problem with exposing young'uns to legitimate dangers from smoking cigs. What they advertise is true for the most part, and the crap can easily be seperated from the truth. The truth is that smoking is a nasty, dangerous habit that'll in most circumstances shorten your lifespan.
Quote by Slayton101

I didn't want one during those weeks where I wouldn't smoke. If someone offered then I would take one, but it wasn't an addiction at all. It wasn't a craving, it was more or less "Eh, why not?".

Can you please point out where I attacked you in any way? I'm not seeing it anywhere in that post, so I would appreciate you pointing that out to me.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by BladeSlinger
You're assuming one cigarette a day is enough to cause someone to be addicted. We could go round and round with this. Everyone reacts differently, just like all other addictive substances.

Phsycial addiction is roughly the same for everyone, mental addiction and willpower varies, that is the variable. Like the intoxication level for drinking, people handle themselves differently but in the end the amount in their blood stream ends with the same intoxication level.

Also, for a good reference on a REALISTIC and honest results of smoking, you should look here:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1819144,00.html

A very fast read, and probably one of the most honest and unbiased ones I've seen out there.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Cool story bro. My brother just smoked for shits and gigs back in the day and now he is 34 and a chain smoker even though he wants to quit. The fact is, cigs are loaded with addictive shit so it isn't just 'lol u have an extremely addictive personality if you addicted to smokes'. You're a dumbass if you think anything close to that.

The fact is, smoking cigs is incredibly unhealthy. I have no problem with people who chose to smoke them, don't get me wrong there I enjoy tobacco myself. But I also don't have a problem with exposing young'uns to legitimate dangers from smoking cigs. What they advertise is true for the most part, and the crap can easily be seperated from the truth. The truth is that smoking is a nasty, dangerous habit that'll in most circumstances shorten your lifespan.

I didn't say that he has an extremely addictive personality just from being addicted to cigarettes. He said that he was smoking one a day and he was addicted. You have to have a very addictive personality if you develop an addiction from smoking one cigarette a day. I would say that now that I'm 18 and I can smoke more that I've developed an addiction, but back when I was 15 I wasn't.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by BladeSlinger
This is entirely wrong.

Desire is not addiction. Need is addiction.

I want to have sex right now, I have a large desire to. If I don't have sex soon, I won't start freaking out because I don't have a need to aka a sex addiction.

You seem to be trying to associate the mental desire of addiction to a desire that you have as a fixation.

A desire is created by the bodies reaction from senses. Harmones create your desire for sex. Any desire to have tobacco is from the mental desire created from the small addiction you created while consuming.
I live under a freeway overpass, and spend all of my free time begging strangers for change. I used to be a doctor. Thanks a lot, cigarettes.
Page 1 of 4