I feel totally embarrassed by putting this on this forum, but a little guidance would be of great help.

So, power chords. In my first lesson, my teacher decided we'd learn Smells Like Teen Spirit (not my favorite Nirvana song, but hey). So we slowly play the first riff, a rather simple one. But I'm having trouble moving it more than one fret (Say A to B, for example).

Are there any exercises to gain a little accuracy? Or should I just play the song and it'll work out itself with time?

(I'm also using my pinky now, which I've never done before, so keep that in mind)

Thank you, and excuse my minimal skill at guitar playing
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
If you're still at the point where Smells Like Teen Spirit is challenging, you should keep practicing. You're probably inexperienced enough that time ought to remedy the problem.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Yeah, jut keep practicing until it gets faster; just like open chords. It doesn't take that long to get used to it, compared to the other skills you'll eventually learn.

Remember,
metronome + practice + precision = speed

so just practice slowly and build the speed up.
Quote by jwd724
If you're still at the point where Smells Like Teen Spirit is challenging, you should keep practicing. You're probably inexperienced enough that time ought to remedy the problem.

Why is there this myth that Teen Spirit is "easy"? Because it's not...it's simple yes, but it's not easy.

I bet there's not a player on this forum was fast enough and accurate enough to manage that off-kilter strumming pattern or able to pull off that left hand muting correctly within their first three months of playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I bet there's not a player on this forum was fast enough and accurate enough to manage that off-kilter strumming pattern or able to pull off that left hand muting correctly within their first three months of playing.

i second this. don't fret too much, TS. </bad pun>

with slow, controlled, and accurate practice, you'll get results. if you can do it cleanly slow, you'll be able to do it cleanly quicker. remember -- the best technique is often slower in its early stages.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Yeah just practice it and practice till you get the hang of it, take it slow and build up the speed, we all had to start somewhere :P

That and when I learned it I found it easer to Barre over the first fret to handle muting and so I only had to move my ring and pinky up and down the strings. Barres are difficult to get the hang of straight away, but you kill two birds with one stone if you learn em at the same time as learning teen spirit.

If ya don't know what barring is, it's just putting your index finger across all six strings on one fret.
Quote by elvor0
Yeah just practice it and practice till you get the hang of it, take it slow and build up the speed, we all had to start somewhere :P

That and when I learned it I found it easer to Barre over the first fret to handle muting and so I only had to move my ring and pinky up and down the strings. Barres are difficult to get the hang of straight away, but you kill two birds with one stone if you learn em at the same time as learning teen spirit.

If ya don't know what barring is, it's just putting your index finger across all six strings on one fret.

Yeah I've tried that before, but I have a habit of muting the string with my ring finger when I bar it.

I also find that the mute throws me off a lot. Should I learn the song with out the mute and then learn the mute when I get more control and speed?

Thanks for all the quick answers.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
I would say no. Slow it down enough that you can get the mutes in there. Be sure to play with a metronome. Just play it over and over. Speed is a result of muscle memory. If you cant control it, slow down. Also if you make a mistake restart the lick, no sense teaching your fingers to f*** it up.

Metronome.
For that particular song, leaving out the muted notes may actually work out pretty well.

Once you can play the fretted notes properly, which won't take very long at all even for a beginner. You could then mute all the strings with your left hand and only work on the odd strum pattern with your right hand.

Then it just turns into when to add a little pressure with the left hand to get the fretted notes to sound out.

It's really only the strum pattern that should be difficult at first, listen to the song a lot so the rhythm is ingrained in memory lol

Edit:: also, where are you muting the strings? If your muting over the first F then trying to quickly play the A# that move would take to long and be hard.

I play the F's then move to A#, play the muted rhythm then just press down for the A# fretted notes.
Last edited by ToXyN at Jun 30, 2011,