First post

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new acoustic guitar under $300. I've been working with a Yamaha FD01, and I'm pretty sick of it. I'm looking to play solo blues and fingerstyle. What kind of setup would be ideal for me? Top wood, strings, cutaway or dread etc.

Currently, my heart's pretty set on the Art & Lutherie Dreadnaught Cedar Antique Burst or the Spruce Dreadnaught. Handmade and eco-friendly :llamayou guys have amusing smilies). Which one is better for me?

Cedar:
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/dreadcedarantbst.html

Spruce:
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/dreadspruce.html

Any recommendations would be nice. It has to have a solid top. And, I dislike gloss...very much.

Also, I live in LA area. Wondering whether you guys could recommend any swell guitar shops.
sweet bro. I'm going for a non-electric. I don't think i'm going to be playing in front of any big crowds. and a full bodied acoustic just sounds that much better.
Hmm..i don't know. I want to get a full sized guitar if I do end up getting one. I'll consider the folk though since the guitar store that responded to me only has Folk in stock. I noticed that A&L comes from Godin. Of the Godin guitar brands (Seagull, A&L, S&P, Norman), which do you guys recommend? Should I get acoustic-electric?
i wouldn't consider that 1.72" nut to be ideal for fingerstyle, but on the other hand, there are few or no wider necks in your price range. i play mostly fingerstyle, and i go for pretty low action. while i do like a cutaway, it's very rare to find one without electronics, and if you get an acoustic electric, you'll end up with a lower quality guitar than if you put your entire budget into the guitar itself.

personally i'd prefer something a little smaller than a dread but with a wider neck. if it were me, i'd get one of these http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-06-%22000%22-classic-series-i--RO06.htm or these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/silver-creek-t-160-acoustic-guitar/512727000010000

btw, do you mean you're in louisiana or l.a.? if los angeles, mccabe's in santa monica is my personal favorite, but i also recommend checking out truetone with is also in santa monica. both of these stores have tons of guitars you won't see at guitar center. grayson's tune town in montrose is a nice little store i bought a guild at, and boulevard music in culver city may have some waldens well worth checking out among many other guitars. hollywood guitar center has been getting a lot of used stuff recently - my husband picked up a used recording king 626 for a good price last weekend.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jun 29, 2011,
Thanks for your guitar recommendations. I'll keep it in mind when I go to the guitar store. So, for fingerstyling, try to have at least 1.75 nut. Low Action (but that's easily adjustable). Got it. Anything blues specific? Narrowing down my search would help a lot.

I live in Los Angeles. Thank you very much for the store recommendations. Seeing the reviews on the Hollywood Guitar Center, I wasn't entirely looking forward to visiting it. McCabe's and Truetone is quite close to me but going to either Tune Town or Boulevard would be a stretch.

I think I'm going to be putting off my acoustic guitar search til I get to a store and try some guitars out. What a hassle haha
mccabe's is the best - soo much fun! truetone is too full, but they have stuff i've never seen anywhere else.

what kind of blues you play - old school stuff or more modern 60's style or ?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Haha great. McCabe is a closer than truetone so good . I think the modern 60's style. BB King/Eric Clapton/Jimi Hendrix
well, jimi mostly played electrics, eric often plays fingerstyle on one of his 000's and b.b. king plays an archtop - i don't typically associate any of their music with dreads. there were a lot of 60's style blues players using martin dreads, though. and most dreads have thin necks, particularly in your price range. still, if you can deal with a 1 11/16" nut, there's some fun guitars at mccabe's! and i know it's a little over your price range, but if you're looking for the martin dread sound, be sure at try some of the lam b&s blueridges there.
Quote by Skeet UK
Hmm I see. I guess dreads aren't going to be the best choice for me...so would I go with folk guitars? Let's say I was to raise my price range to $300-$400(just save up i guess). I can't go higher than that, unfortunately. Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily have to be Dreads. I believe the Seagull S6 is within that range though...

Regarding Martins, I don't want to buy a cheaper model Martin. I'd rather wait a few years and buy one of the better models after I get better with the guitar. This guitar I'm going to buy is probably just going to be an intermediate guitar that I learn on. The Yamaha FD01 I have was bought about 6 years ago, stayed in the closet for a good 4 or 5 of those years til I took it out, and it's unbearable with the buzzing and the high action.
Last edited by eiqoun1011 at Jun 30, 2011,
at $400, there's the seagull original s6 - it's a dread, but it's got a wide nut and great sound. i owned one for a while, and recommend them. once in a while they get them at mccabe's. they also get the art & lutheries, and you'll run into the folk size there periodically, although the 1.72" nut isn't ideal, it's a little wider than the standard 1 11/16" nuts. there's also the seagull coastline cedar folk, and it has a 1.8" nut, as well. mccabe's also carries a few simon & patricks, which are a third brand of godin guitars.

the recording king i linked to before can be upgraded to solid wood if you go up to $400 http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-06-%22000%22-classic-series-i--RO06.htm

alas, the blueridge guitars with sitka tops have 1 11/16" nuts, but try 'em anyway for future reference.

if you go used, you might keep an eye out for a guild GAD-30, larrivee from the 3 series, yamaha L series (not fg), recording king 000, seagull coastline, performer or maritime series, or blueridge A series.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by eiqoun1011
(you guys have amusing smilies).

THE CORRECT TERM IS EMOTICONS!

People are so ignorant..
Haha no kidding Dmaj7, I was going to write emoticons but the box said smilies so why not? Sorry about the..confusion? I messed up on the llama too.

Seagull S6
Seagull coastline cedar folk
Recording King RO-06

I just looked at S&P and none of its guitars have at least 1.75 nut. Except the Woodland Spruce 12, but I'm definitely not looking for a 12 string.

And, I'm not sure if I should go for used. I'm not so adept at looking for the defects. If I was to buy a used guitar, what kind of defects should I look for?

Btw, thank you very much for helping me out patticake.
Quote by eiqoun1011
Haha no kidding Dmaj7, I was going to write emoticons but the box said smilies so why not? Sorry about the..confusion? I messed up on the llama too.

I was kidding lol. But you'll most likely see me again in the future, call me Austin.
the seagull original s6 and coastline cedar folk have a 1.8" nut, which i just love. you can look up specs on all the seagulls here http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm

i usually prefer to buy new. there's a lot to check for when buying used - cracks, including hard to spot thin ones running along the grain, loose braces, swelling, bridge lifting, worn frets, frets seated correctly, check to be sure the joints are all tight all around the guitar, that it doesn't need a neck reset and all that jazz. on the other hand, i've seen new guitars with similar issues, but at least there when you find the issue, you can get the guitar replaced or fixed under warranty.

Quote by eiqoun1011

Seagull S6
Seagull coastline cedar folk
Recording King RO-06

I just looked at S&P and none of its guitars have at least 1.75 nut. Except the Woodland Spruce 12, but I'm definitely not looking for a 12 string.

And, I'm not sure if I should go for used. I'm not so adept at looking for the defects. If I was to buy a used guitar, what kind of defects should I look for?

Btw, thank you very much for helping me out patticake.
Quote by Skeet UK
Also, don't forget this weekend you can get 10% off at Musician's Friend and 15% off at Guitar Center. Seagull's are one of the brands that are NOT excluded.
Quote by eiqoun1011
First post

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new acoustic guitar under $300. I've been working with a Yamaha FD01, and I'm pretty sick of it. I'm looking to play solo blues and fingerstyle. What kind of setup would be ideal for me? Top wood, strings, cutaway or dread etc.

Currently, my heart's pretty set on the Art & Lutherie Dreadnaught Cedar Antique Burst or the Spruce Dreadnaught. Handmade and eco-friendly :llamayou guys have amusing smilies). Which one is better for me?

Cedar:
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/dreadcedarantbst.html

Spruce:
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/dreadspruce.html

Any recommendations would be nice. It has to have a solid top. And, I dislike gloss...very much.

Also, I live in LA area. Wondering whether you guys could recommend any swell guitar shops.

The ceder is the kissing cousin to my acoustic. I love how the woods they use sound

http://www.godinguitars.com/

Godin makes some of if not these best acoustic guitars for the money.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Dmaj7
I was kidding lol. But you'll most likely see me again in the future, call me Austin.

Haha np. Sup Austin.

Quote by patticake

the seagull original s6 and coastline cedar folk have a 1.8" nut, which i just love. you can look up specs on all the seagulls here http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm

i usually prefer to buy new. there's a lot to check for when buying used - cracks, including hard to spot thin ones running along the grain, loose braces, swelling, bridge lifting, worn frets, frets seated correctly, check to be sure the joints are all tight all around the guitar, that it doesn't need a neck reset and all that jazz. on the other hand, i've seen new guitars with similar issues, but at least there when you find the issue, you can get the guitar replaced or fixed under warranty.

nice, the wider the better.

What a daunting list..If I went to McCabe's, would they point these out to me? And, yeah, at least with a warranty I could get my money back.

Quote by neb9
Also, don't forget this weekend you can get 10% off at Musician's Friend and 15% off at Guitar Center. Seagull's are one of the brands that are NOT excluded.

Gah I'm going to miss out. I'm committed to buying the guitar from a guitar shop or, at the very least, checking the guitar out before buying it online. I can't go to McCabe's this weekend.

@Willowthewitch(Sorry quoting is taking too long): Yeah I can agree with that, but ,from the specs I've seen, all of their nut width is about 1.72", except their 12 string which I am not looking to buy right now.
actually last week i went to mccabe's, and the sales guy tried to help a guy, but he (the sales guy) didn't know things - he told one guy the blueridge A series only difference was the top, but in reality the difference in nut width is a big part of its appeal for those of us who care about wider necks. you can't expect guys who work in stores with hundreds of different guitars to know all about all of them. i see guys in gc always telling potential buyers that all-lam guitars have solid tops. and if you go to truetone, chances are they won't offer to help at all.

mostly guys at gc will aim you at a popular model rather than what you're looking for, so it's always a plus to go in with a list you can check in your phone or your pocket.

a piece of advice you didn't ask for (and feel free to ignore) - don't go in thinking about buying. go in to play and listen and check out the guitars, and buy when you're ready. i' was always honest about it with them - i definitely will buy, but want to try enough guitars to find out what i'm looking for. now they know us, so they leave us alone or come over just to chat about playuing. mccabe's, truetone and wla gc together are like guitar disneyland to me - i love playing and getting to know the various models, new stuff, changes plus comparing one guitar to another. i live in hollywood, but mccabe's is always worth the trip down - they see our faces at least once a month but usually more often.
Quote by Skeet UK
Great thing about playing blues is it doesn't matter what guitar you are playing it on because classic blues was played on whatever you could get. Dreads were popular but so were OM's and OOO's. Some players even went smaller than that.

It's the fingerstyle thing you have to worry about and "fingerstyle" is a pretty big term which can be anything from folk to Mozart transcribed to guitar. As a general rule fingerstyle players like the OM and OOO body size because it's low end doesn't boom which means better definition from the high notes, however folk players that do fingerstyle tend to like dreads because they help the droning D string to jump out even when they are not playing the D string.

So in terms of body style you are going to want to see what suits your fingerstyle playing.

For a top I'd go with spruce. When you are playing a brand new guitar cedar will probably sound better but after the guitar has played in for 2 or 3 years then the spruce will give you the same warmth that the new cedar guitar had, but with more volume.

Back and sides are not going to matter all that much because in your budget it's probably going to be laminated anyway. If you do have a shot at solid back and sides I'd go with mahogany, nato, or sapelle (SP?). The faster attack and sharpness of the mahogany, or mahogany substitutes, tend to be very good for blues and most finger style. Guitars made from fruit woods, like cherry, would also be good.

Next you need to think about how big your hands are. Most finger style players like a wide nut and a short scale. You might not. This is, again, going to be something that you probably won't get to choose because you are going to be a victim of what is in your budget but keep it in mind.
Not taking any online orders.