I have an hss but the guy at the guitar store said i could mod it to be all single without any changes....is that so?...if not how could i do so?

Thanks.
^yeah, that is what i did. i also changed the pups to suhrs and then put a coil tap on the HB. works like a champ, but i did have to buy another pot, but technically you could just rewire the pup to the pot so as to use 1 coil in it so you wouldn't have to buy new parts.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 29, 2011,
all you do is buy a new pickguard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
all you do is buy a new pickguard.

Would that effect the tone having the space carved out for the pup
the space is already carved out.

fenders have a swimming pool route now.

there's just a huge hole under the pick guard.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Good to know...so it would be no trouble at all to change it to all single coils it sounds like? is the wiring very different/take any major changes to transition?
I like the idea of "modding without changing anything". Lol.

Quote by jrenkert
Would that effect the tone having the space carved out for the pup

SCs take up less space than buckers, whatever the guitar is carved for now, you wouldn't have to change anything about that.

Quote by jrenkert
Good to know...so it would be no trouble at all to change it to all single coils it sounds like? is the wiring very different/take any major changes to transition?

I don't know your guitar's wiring, but usually, it's no big deal. There's a couple very good wiring diagrams on the Duncan site:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Quote by Deathro
Why do you want it changed? With the H (humbucker) it produces a better sound over a single coil

Opinion, personal taste/preference this is, but not a fact.
Quote by Deathro
Why do you want it changed? With the H (humbucker) it produces a better sound over a single coil

Actually, I'd personally say the complete opposite to this. I find single coils far more versatile than your average double-bobbin. You can fatten a single coil up to make it sound beefier; with a humbucker you're stuck with the mud unless you coil tap or roll your volume back, which never sounds the same. There's my two cents =P
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Actually, I'd personally say the complete opposite to this. I find single coils far more versatile than your average double-bobbin. You can fatten a single coil up to make it sound beefier; with a humbucker you're stuck with the mud unless you coil tap or roll your volume back, which never sounds the same. There's my two cents =P

I completely agree. HSS is more popular because, I'm afraid to admit, the humbucker can beat two single coils at metal/high gain any day. Other people just like the sound of a humbucker.

But they cant get an RHCP sound from their strat!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i don't think fender does the swimming pool route anymore but either an HSS or an HSH can't remember which. as mentioned a pickguars switch is all that is needed (plus single coil pup of course). as for single coil pups not being able to do metal try a red or even a blue Lace Sensor in the bridge. retains the single coil sound for the most part and is much higher output without the noise.