So I know it may not have been the smartest thing to jump into, but I input my active bass into the receiver on a home theater system through an Auxiliary Video Channel. It sounds amazing. Not sure if its the sub and speakers its put through or the amp itself, but my gosh my practice amp sucks compared to this.

Am I going to hurt something by continuing to do this? And are there any alternatives to get such a nice, natural sound? Ive played through high end amps/stacks at music stores and have never felt this type of tone. The bass is a Ibanez SR500....thanks for the help.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
should be perfect as far as I can tell.. but it'd depend more on the theater system's specs. If it were me, I'd keep doing it if it sounds so good.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
I'm not too sure on this topic, but I think I read before that you might possibly blow out the speaker. The impedance probably isn't matching up. Somebody else can give you a better answer.

Also, the natural tone might be because the system is giving you a sterile tone, ie. the tonewoods of your bass (mahogony and jatoba IIRC) are coming through as opposed to a colored tone of the amplifiers you were using previously.
pinga
Haha you're going to blow your speakers, dude! Have fun while it lasts! I'd suggest trying out some more high end bass amps.
If this is the kind of sound you want, you want a transparent amp.

Among some to check out are Markbass and SWR. Also, if you can afford the shipping etc, look at Barefaced cabs (made in the UK).
Quote by Ziphoblat
If this is the kind of sound you want, you want a transparent amp.

Among some to check out are Markbass and SWR. Also, if you can afford the shipping etc, look at Barefaced cabs (made in the UK).

I think Hartke can be added to that list, although I don't like them.
pinga
Ka Blooooey !!!!!! May sound great now but sooner or later you will regret it unless you just don't care for your HTS. I spent small fortune for mine and would not even think of doing this. You know those two little speakers that go in the back of the room? Those will be the first to go.
The Dean of Discontent
University of Beelzebub
Hell, Antarctica
So the worries are blowing the speakers? I have just tried the receiver with a different set of speakers, and it still sounds amazing. So it is definitely the receiver that is producing the deliciousness.....

Is there any chance of damaging the receiver, or is the only worry the speakers? Can I jimmy-rig into a 4x10 Avatar I could purchase for $100? It sounds so sweet and I have never found it in all of the amps I have demoed in stores....

Here is a link that suggests using a Rolls PM52 - Speaker Level Signal Headphone Tap ->
http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/showthread.php?2854-Connecting-Home-Stereo-to-a-Power-Amp

I could have a dream sound for $250 as long as everything would cooperate together...
Quote by Saint78

No thoughts or suggestions?
Quote by Saint78