Im trying to start a raw rock and roll band kind of gritty like early gnr and rolling stones. The bassist is all up for it but do you have any advice how to get this sound and advice on stage presence.
come to northern ireland so i can join, i will teach you all you need
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
lol maybe when i see my family up thar XD i want to get a really gritty and powerfull rock sound and to get our stage presence to match
Stage Presence: Don't give a f*ck. You think Keith Moon cared when he trashed drumsets?

You think what's his face cared when he said "Hey I forgot something at the hotel.." and went back to throw a TV out the window? (I can't remember who did it atm)

The sound is really everyone's own opinion and I think you shouldn't go for any particular sound. Find your own

EDIT: Shit that was still Keith Moon lol my bad
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Last edited by soulsablaze at Jun 29, 2011,
Yeah thats my problem with bands i always try and copy anouther bands stlye and we just end up as a cheap knockoff of whatever XD so far were thinking of combining a sort of rhcp style funk with gnr and rolling stones rock and roll with lou reed and iggy pop style stuff XD
How long have you been playing? It's definitely not uncommon (sometimes accidentally) to sound like someone else, but keep in mind that those are your influences. Influences are good. Use them the right way and don't sound like them, but take things you like about them and put your own twist on it.

Yes it's difficult and it won't come to you right away but it's just something you can use to keep evaluating where you were as a musician and where you are now.
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Last edited by soulsablaze at Jun 29, 2011,
Forget stage presence. If this is your first band, and you don't even have a full lineup, you won't be near a stage for a while.
Number one, figure out how to play your instrument. Not "good enough." You need to be able to play in time.
You need to have songs. Fully formed, complete songs. Then you need to rehearse them, so you're not only playing them perfectly on your own, but together as a band, which is a totally different animal.
Then, and only then, can you start worrying about looking cool on stage. And trust me, that won't happen instantly. It takes a few gigs before you get to the point where you're able to focus on anything other than hitting the notes.
Quote by koslack
Then, and only then, can you start worrying about looking cool on stage. And trust me, that won't happen instantly. It takes a few gigs before you get to the point where you're able to focus on anything other than hitting the notes.

In fact I would argue that stage presence comes naturally when you are completely comfortable on stage, and not thinking about the songs you're playing at all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
generally and whole heartedly not give a F*** about anything lol.

Work on writing some kick tunes first and actually getting a full line up in the mean time though. I've been trying to do this for a while, it's difficult to find people now a days that just want to play some raw in your face rock and roll.