Page 1 of 2
What bands have no bass players?

Do the guitar players play the bass parts? Or do they have a keyboardist?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Blonde Redhead - They had a bassist when they started, but eventually abandoned it
The Doors - Keyboardist played the bass parts on an organ/keyboard
The White Stripes - Nadda
The Black Keys - They have a bassist live now for their new songs that incorporate bass
The Evens - Baritone guitar
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Not sure what they do, I just remember seeing them on SNL without a bassist
Beat Happening - No bass
Sleater-Kinney - No bass
Animals as Leaders consists of two guitars and drums, they just adjust their tones accordingly
I remember hearing this band with only drums and one guitar and the guy only used the bottom 3 strings. I can't remember the name of the band though.
Local H
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Pig Destroyer
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Black veil brides.didn't at one point, but they recorded.with bassp
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by BK202
Yeah Yeah Yeahs just don't have bass. Simple as that. You don't need bass to be awesome.

Treat Her Right and Morphine were two different bands that featured a now deceased Mark Sandman on baritone guitar. He fronted both bands, and his baritone was the closest thing to a bass in both bands.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by BK202
You don't.

Pig Destroyer proves it.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Middle Class Rut- Their guitarist makes use of a POG/HOG and a digitech whammy to round out the sound.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
Treat Her Right and Morphine were two different bands that featured a now deceased Mark Sandman on baritone guitar. He fronted both bands, and his baritone was the closest thing to a bass in both bands.

Saw a video of him playing a 2 string bass in morphine, or at least I think I did.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The point of this thread is to get by without a bassist and to learn techniques to utilize the guitar as a bass as well.

So I am asking for help by learning what other bands do.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jun 30, 2011,
Drop tuning/use yr neck pickup. I read that Sleater-Kinney played in C#, so Corin pretty much covered the low end.
Or you could install a bass pickup.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Or you could install a bass pickup.

Actually I thought of getting an 8 stringer, install a bass pickup under the two low strings, tune the lowest to E and maybe the 7th to A so that I'll be able to play the root notes of chords on the bass strings and just use them for non chord riffs.

At the same time, run the bass pickup into a bass amp, while the guitar pickups do the rest of the work.

So it'll be kinda like Local H meets Animals as Leaders....or simply Charlie Hunter.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jun 30, 2011,
Or just... find a guitarist and get him to play bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Or just... find a guitarist and get him to play bass.

I enjoy playing the bass parts with my guitar too much
Om
Death from Above 1979

Behold my feats as a satirist and be struck with awe.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Om
Death from Above 1979

Behold my feats as a satirist and be struck with awe.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer. Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.
DERP
Quote by ethan_hanus
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer.

i am really thinking about sigging this
Quote by due 07
DERP

What does that even mean?

It's true, if anyone of you did any recording, you'd know that it's the bass guitar that glues the entire mix together.

Obviously some bands wont have a bass guitar if they are solely acoustic based or something like that, where a bass guitar isn't really needed.
Quote by ethan_hanus

HERP DERP

im pretty sure that was a direct quote from your last post. at least that's how i read it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.

ಠ_ಠ

You realize that there are like twenty bands listed on the first page of this thread that don't have bass players, several of which are very popular, don't you?

Also, lulz to the dude above me.
Quote by Warrior47
ಠ_ಠ

You realize that there are like twenty bands listed on the first page of this thread that don't have bass players, several of which are very popular, don't you?

Also, lulz to the dude above me.

Can't say I've every heard of any of them.
White Stripes? Black Keys? Both of those have been pretty large bands for a while now and have had some fairly big records. The Doors are one of the most popular classic rock bands and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have had several hit singles and are a big indie band.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Any band that wants to sound good will have a bassist, having no bassist is like, a band without a drummer. Though, can't say I know any that don't have a bassist and are popular.

The Doors, White Stripes, Black Keys, Animals As Leaders, Black Cobra, Darediablo and so on.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Totally nonsensical. Opinion is subjective, some might not even like the sound of bass. Whatever suits the band/music is what counts.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by ethan_hanus

It's true, if anyone of you did any derping, you'd know that it's the bass guitar that glues the lololololololol

trollolollooolololollolololololoolololollol.
Funny how so many of these bassless bands have some keyboard, detuned or pitch shifted guitar, or indeed actual bass turn up on their albums or live.

Any that don't do that?
Page 1 of 2