I'm unfamiliar with time signatures. The only ones I know are the basics: 4/4, 3/4, etc.

I've heard a few songs by one of my favorite bands written in this odd time signature, and I'm curious as to what it's called. The first bar is 5 beats, second is 6, third is 5, fourth is 6, etc. What is this called?
Quote by Winter Sky
I'm unfamiliar with time signatures. The only ones I know are the basics: 4/4, 3/4, etc.

I've heard a few songs by one of my favorite bands written in this odd time signature, and I'm curious as to what it's called. The first bar is 5 beats, second is 6, third is 5, fourth is 6, etc. What is this called?

Is it possibly in a time sig like 11/4? It would be easier to play if you thought of the songnlike that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Is it possibly in a time sig like 11/4? It would be easier to play if you thought of the songnlike that.

Yeah, I was thinking 11/8 would make more sense.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
I was going to say 11/4...

this is why I don't post often, people beat me to it....
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
I was going to say 11/4...

this is why I don't post often, people beat me to it....

May as well give it a shot

It surprises me how often people will jump to the least likely conclusion about TS's question, in this case mixed meters, but other acceptable impulse answers include "it's atonal/modal!" and "play the byzantine scale".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ultimately it just depends on how it's written or how you think about it, but to me it's 5/4 and 6/4 alternating. I wouldn't really ever call anything 11/4, because most of the time it isn't and all of the time it's easier to feel in 5 and 6.
Then 5+6/4.

In my opinion, 5+6 = 11.

But that may be wrong. Idk...

I think its called additive meter.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Then 5+6/4.

In my opinion, 5+6 = 11.

But that may be wrong. Idk...

I think its called additive meter.

You wouldn't really ever say 5+6/4 because you almost always group things in 2 or 3, so I guess you could theoretically have something like 2+3+3+3/4 but that would just be awful. The reason you wouldn't do 11/4 is because you would have to feel it 2+3+3+3 (or some variation) as opposed to a bar of 2+3 and then 3+3.
Quote by Winter Sky
5/4 and 6/4 alternating makes the most sense to me, especially because the chorus is completely in 6/4. Thanks, everyone.

depending on the beat, it could just be a measure of 3/4 and then 2 measures of 4/4. i can't listen to it right now, though.

listen to where the natural accents are. that'll tell you exactly how to notate it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.