Looking for a main amp. I think 40W with 1x12" is loud enough for me. If I need to get louder, I can just mic/line out to a PA.

But these are the two amps I'm looking at. They are both $699 I believe.

Hot Rod Deluxe III or Blackstar HT 40?

They both are 40W tube with 1x12"
Fender has 2 6L6s and 3 12AX7
Blackstar has 2xECC83, 2xEL34

I will be using the amps OD channel for my main heavy distortion.

I play anywhere from slow clean blues, to pop, to heavey 80s rock. Little new stuff as well such as Kings of Leon and The Black Keys.

My electric guitar is a 1978 Greco Les Paul Standard with humbuckers. I'll be getting a Gibson ES-339 for my next guitar.
I personaly don't like Blackstar, so I'd go with the Fender Hot Rod.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the hot rod has a pretty thin sounding overdrive you should get a pedal for it a blues driver or whatnot
I have a Luther Drive which has a TS-808 circuit I believe. I'm selling my blues driver and my boss overdrive/distortion because they are tone suckers. I use my luther drive for my blues distortion and if I need a heavy OD I use my amp and then use my pedal as a OD Boost.

I really like the blackstar but I'm not sure how much EQ it has. It shows the Bass, Mids, and Treb but right by the Clean channel volume knob theres a knob labeled "tone"
Quote by Robbgnarly
I personaly don't like Blackstar, so I'd go with the Fender Hot Rod.

Useless comment is useless. It would be nice if you gave a reason

The Fender might have some more distortion, judging from the tubes, but I'm kind of a tube-noob (instead of a noob-tube(r)!), so I might be wrong. (I reckon more pre-amp toobz = more brootz?)
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
I really like the Blackstar more because of the OD channel. I just want to make sure that the EQ works on the clean channel.
Quote by TuningGamer

The Fender might have some more distortion, judging from the tubes, but I'm kind of a tube-noob (instead of a noob-tube(r)!), so I might be wrong. (I reckon more pre-amp toobz = more brootz?)

The HT is a hybrid, so it has a lot of clipping diodes before the tube stages (imagine a TS9 permanently on before the tubes). So its actually a lot gainier than the Fender. It's gain levels are about the same, or slightly more, than say a JCM800. Enough for anything upto hard rock, but needs a boost for metal.

And more pre amp tubes on the distortion channel = more br00tz.
Case in point, the Peavey 5150 has 5 tubes. The 5150 II has 6. The II has slightly less gain than the I.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Dmaj7
I really like the Blackstar more because of the OD channel. I just want to make sure that the EQ works on the clean channel.

I love my HT 40.
This thing is plenty loud for any type of club gigs.

The EQ on the clean channel is just a volume and tone, but to me it sounds great. But you could always add an EQ pedal for shaping the tone a bit more.
I bought and EQ pedal just for this purpose, but ended up using it as a solo booster instead.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by TornUp
I love my HT 40.
This thing is plenty loud for any type of club gigs.

The EQ on the clean channel is just a volume and tone, but to me it sounds great. But you could always add an EQ pedal for shaping the tone a bit more.
I bought and EQ pedal just for this purpose, but ended up using it as a solo booster instead.

So the 3-Band only works for the OD channel?

My EQ settings are usually Bass:4, Mid:5, Treb:8
Quote by Dmaj7
Looking for a main amp. I think 40W with 1x12" is loud enough for me. If I need to get louder, I can just mic/line out to a PA.

I'll say the same thing I always say. Wattage is about headroom not about volume.

There is roughly 3db of difference in the maximum volume between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp. However you will get more powertube breakup at a much lower volume when using the 50 watt amp.

So, do you like your cleans, or do you like creamy powertube breakup?

If you're looking for a tight heavy overdriven sound, you mainly want your gain to come from the preamp. So really going higher wattage wouldn't be a bad idea. Typically speaking a 100 watt amp will trump a 20-60 watt amp when it comes to those kinds of tones even at lower volumes.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Look at a Traynor YCV50.

+1

or 40
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Look at a Traynor YCV50.

Love love love mine.

Should do everything you (TS) listed.

The only thing wrong with the 40 is the absent master volume control.
Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Black Beauty
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

AB>Crybaby Standard>TU-3>DS-1>DS-2>ML-2>ZW-44>B.O.R.

EHX LPB-1>Phase 90>Milkshake Chorus

"Keep on rockin' in the free world"
It's just nicer to have imo.
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

Quote by TuningGamer

The fender has a better clean ch. and I thing the gain is way more useable than the Blackstar. The blackstar is not a true tube amp it is a hybrid, the distortion sounded really undefined on the 3 diff ones I tried.

More pre amp tubes don't nessisarily mean more gain, but it does normaly make the gain "smoother", atleast thats my take on it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by forsaknazrael
I guess? The volumes on each channel function as a master volume for their respective channel...
Plus the Presence control is nice to have.

I would agree about the presence. I just found I had to have the gain volume up way high and the clean down low for me to like it. But this left a large gap between the two channels. I find a master "smooths" it out.

But hey, whatever works for you works for you, and my 50 works for me.
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

Quote by GS LEAD 5
The HT is a hybrid, so it has a lot of clipping diodes before the tube stages (imagine a TS9 permanently on before the tubes). So its actually a lot gainier than the Fender. It's gain levels are about the same, or slightly more, than say a JCM800. Enough for anything upto hard rock, but needs a boost for metal.

Actually, the HT 40 has a "super saturated lead" button on the overdrive channel that will take it into modern metal territories. It's easily overlooked, but it's there, and not on the HT 20 or lower models. But without that switch activated, I agree, even with the gain turned all the way up, I couldn't quite get into the range I need for my music. I was close to buying an HT 40 but then I tried a 6505+ and its br00te channel won me over...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by LesPaulGuy5544
I would agree about the presence. I just found I had to have the gain volume up way high and the clean down low for me to like it. But this left a large gap between the two channels. I find a master "smooths" it out.

But hey, whatever works for you works for you, and my 50 works for me.

i didn't really have a problem with keeping the volumes matched, myself.
another thing to note is that I left the gain boost on all the time.

FWIW, I don't use my Traynor anymore.
Great workhorse amp, though.
I'm getting the AC15. Its made very well and its loud enough for any bar. And when I'm not playing at a bar i'll have a PA. I'm also a Vox/tube purist. I'd rather have an AC30 and I know it sounds different, but the AC15 is perfect for me. Thanks for the help though.
somewhat but ill be testing it before I buy anyways. If its too dirty ill just wait a couple weeks and get an ac30.
although they don't get much love here consider a Peavey Valveking. decent clean channel (with seperate tone knobs) and ithe gain channel goes up to most 80s metal levels or just needs an overdrive to put it over the top. i play a lot of 70s rock/hard rock and 80s metal and have found that my valveking does the job very well.