so brackects in a tab like (5) mean either , grace notes or ghost notes, which is rather confusing cause i dont know how to perform both.

arent ghost notes for bass?

heres the thing im learning its the solo to iron man (1st solo)

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/black_sabbath/iron_man_ver11_tab.htm

if i knew what it is the whole song would be pretty easy, ty very much in advance.
Pretty sure that means play the 5th fret, then hold it until after you play the next note
As far as i know, ghost/grace notes are for you to chose whether you play them or not.
In other words, if you want to play the solo exactly how it was probably recorded in the studio then play the ghost notes, if you just want to play the solo in a recognisable and "good enough" then dont bother with the ghost notes.
I think that ghost/grace notes are the same thing btw if thats where your confused.
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Quote by Sammy2K7
As far as i know, ghost/grace notes are for you to chose whether you play them or not.
In other words, if you want to play the solo exactly how it was probably recorded in the studio then play the ghost notes, if you just want to play the solo in a recognisable and "good enough" then dont bother with the ghost notes.
I think that ghost/grace notes are the same thing btw if thats where your confused.

pretty much this is spot on.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Sammy2K7

NO. absolutely not. They arent even similar.

Ghost notes are de-accented notes, so theyre like super quiet, and can generally be omitted and played as a rest.

Grace notes are notes that 'grace' other notes. what makes them a grace note is their wicked short duration and proximity to the primary note. so suppose you had a quarter note. it would have a duration of 8/32 of a measure. if you add a grace note to it, the grace note would have something like 1/32 duration and the primary note would have a duration of 7/32 of the measure.

ghosting is a function of volume, gracing is a function of duration.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
ok to their the same thing, thank god

you say hold the note, so do i hold the 5th note while i continue like.

Example: i pick 5 and 6 but i still hold down 5 with my finger while i play? how long do i hold it for?

well now iam more confused, from post above, so which one is it , grace or ghost? i get the 1/32 and the 7/32 part but i dont know how to do them.

how do i perfrom both?
Last edited by harvestkingx at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by kolonelkadat

Ghost notes are de-accented notes, so theyre like super quiet, and can generally be omitted and played as a rest.

Grace notes are notes that 'grace' other notes. what makes them a grace note is their wicked short duration and proximity to the primary note. so suppose you had a quarter note. it would have a duration of 8/32 of a measure. if you add a grace note to it, the grace note would have something like 1/32 duration and the primary note would have a duration of 7/32 of the measure.

What he said.
Gear
Guitars
PRS CE22
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
B.C.Rich Warlock Bronze series (raffle prize)
Pedals
Crybaby from Hell
Blackstar HT-Dual
Line 6 DL-4

Amp
Cornford Roadhouse 30
Quote by kolonelkadat

Best answer so far.

Grace notes are an ornament. In pop/rock music, it's as you've described. In art music, it's a little trickier, but same general idea.

Ghost notes have also been used to indicate notes played by a delay effect, like in the intro to "welcome to the Jungle"

Some tabbers have also used parenthesis to indicate ties. A tie is as a previous poster replied, to hold a previously played note over others.
ok yes i know what the difference is now, but how would i perfrom one, how do i make the note quiet? do i palm mute the string or somthing? Also give me an example of a grace not.
Ghost note- there are many ways to do it. pluck the string with less force, or brush the string with the flesh of a finger. It's not a palm mute, that would be indicated if that's what was intended. most of the time, you will just pluck with less force.

Grace notes- the first notes of this riff are fast hammer on type grace notes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSugn0dB4c

here is the tab for the riff.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/the_ocean_ver5_tab.htm
Last edited by shreddymcshred at Jun 29, 2011,
Grace notes are short notes that add effect to another note. When you slide into notes, the note that you slid in from is a grace note. You kind of don't really hear grace notes as actual notes, just as slurs on the note they're attached to.
ty , thats going be hard to pluck string with a 6 then give 5 jsut a little force at the same time :/
Last edited by harvestkingx at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by shreddymcshred
that case sounds like it was meant to be a tie.

+1. Tab is pretty clear on that.

Also:

Quote by The Vickshow
Pretty sure that means play the 5th fret, then hold it until after you play the next note
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by DimebagZappa
+1. Tab is pretty clear on that.

Also:

iam really sorry i just not getting this... whats clear about the tab?
and what do youu mean hold the note till the next note i mean isnt that what you do already, play a note till its the next notes turn, then shouldnt all of them have brackets....iam so sorry im just not getting it.

so its not a ghost note? if its the other thing by letting the note ring. By letting ring how long do i hold the note? obvisouly its longer then the six. do i hold the note while i do the 6p4 or not?
Last edited by harvestkingx at Jul 1, 2011,
oh i get it by when it means tied note now, when you get a 7 then a (7) that jsut means to hold the note till the then right?

but what if i get a 9 (0) how is that tied?
Last edited by harvestkingx at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx
but what if i get a 9 (0) how is that tied?

That's not tied, that's a ghost note. The open string faintly rings out after the note at the 9th fret is played. I wouldn't worry about it too much, listen to the song at that place. You might faintly hear the open string ring out. Usually these things are little "mistakes" they made but are left in cause they're insignificant and/or they add a nice human quality to the sound.

I've seen a lot of these ghost notes transcribed in tab books, usually the tabber is being overly detailed and transcribing sounds that occur because of the way the guitarist plays, ie, their finger brushes a string and it sounds out slightly.