Hey guys, at the moment I've got an Ibanez RG, I use this for my everything really. The only problem is that I want to learn songs with alternative tunings and the fact that I have a very annoying floyd Rose on it makes that really difficult for me.

I was wondering if I should buy a cheap second hand guitar to use just for my alternate tuning such as D, Eb etc. I play a lot of rock/metal i.e Metallica, Nirvana, Greenday, Foo Fighters so alternate tunings for that is quite common.

I was just wondering if this is a good idea or not, I won't be spending a large amount of money on this guitar, it'll only be for alternate tunings, I might mess around and give it a fancy paint job or something. Something real cheap.

This guitar will have a set bridge, like something from a Strat.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

- Luke
Sure if you want to get one, i give you approval
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Yes, good idea, at the moment I use my old pacifica in Drop C with my E standard Ibanez

Ibanez RGA32.....would be my personal suggestion if getting another guitar
...or you could look at stuff other than Ibanez....like a telecaster
Of course you should for whatever reason, you can never have too many of those things.
There's a neat little invention called the Morpheus Droptune, it costs $200, and it can go from E standard to like Ab, IICR. It can't do drop tunings, you'll have to do that. If you have a floyd, you can use an EVH D-Duna to get a drop D and then use the Morpheus to go to Drop C or whatever.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Sure, go ahead. If you're getting a squier, you have many cheap options. Bullet, Affinity, Players etc. Yamaha Pacifica would be pretty good too, but you'd be hard pressed to find those used.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
yup. definitely get a second guitar.

floyds are great fun and all, but they are a massive hassel. get a second guitar, if for no other reason, to have something completely reliable to use as a backup
Definitely. Never use an FR guitar without an alternative/backup. Get a used RG2EX. They go for like $150 more or less all the time and are pretty common.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X