is 20watts loud enough for small/medium gigs?

i play mostly metal/djent etc

my budget is about £800 for a head and cab (1x12 0r 2x12)

ive been looking at the jet city jca 20, i could stetch my budget and get the 50 but i'd rather not tbh.
It is a little iffy - also don't know how you define small/medium gigs...If I were you I'd get the 50 watt to be safe. As long as it is 50 tube watts (like the jet city) you should be able to pull it off - I would say maybe a 2x12 instead of 1x12 wouldn't hurt either...
Why would you want a 20 watt amp to play metal?

But yes, it's more than loud enough, unless you're looking for pristine clean sounds.
I have a 15 watt amp and it is really loud. I turn the volume just a little past halfway and it's loud.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Define 'loud'. Loud for you might not be loud for me. Also, how long is a rope? =)
I wouldn't be looking at the 20h for Djent the 50 or 100 maybe but not the 20. It's not tight enough. It can do metal easily with a boost and it does it well.

If you were to gig with the 20 watt model your clean tone would have a bit of grit to it but if you are like me I quite like that. Each to his own I suppose.
I'd go the 50W just to be safe. Then again, any place with a decent PA (which you're not going to get at small gigs) can just mic up your cab.

I'm a 50/100W head kinda guy though, so I'm a little biased.
i could probably mic it up anyway just wanted to check,

btw, would it be worth getting two 1x12s instead of a 2x12? that way, if i'm playing a tiny gig i can just have a 1x12, its more pratical, i'm new to head/cab matching, would this work?
Quote by dannycasevnx
I wouldn't be looking at the 20h for Djent the 50 or 100 maybe but not the 20. It's not tight enough. It can do metal easily with a boost and it does it well.

If you were to gig with the 20 watt model your clean tone would have a bit of grit to it but if you are like me I quite like that. Each to his own I suppose.

yeah i like a bit if break up on my clean tones , i play more metal than djent anyway
It's easily loud enough, but a tube amp that low of a wattage is going to probably have a lot more poweramp breakup than you'd want for metal.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by funkyadhesive
i could probably mic it up anyway just wanted to check,

btw, would it be worth getting two 1x12s instead of a 2x12? that way, if i'm playing a tiny gig i can just have a 1x12, its more pratical, i'm new to head/cab matching, would this work?

It'd work... But why bother? There is no practical reason to use 2 1x12s over a single 2x12. Besides which a 2x12 isn't heavy enough or large enough to ever really be impractical.
ok, what do people think of this,

probably getting the jca 50 with an orange ppc4x10 (a 4x12 is a little too much)
You should probably get a 2x12 in that case. 10" speakers aren't desirable for metal. Also, to the earlier question, for metal especially, I would not gig with anything under 50W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by icronic
It'd work... But why bother? There is no practical reason to use 2 1x12s over a single 2x12. Besides which a 2x12 isn't heavy enough or large enough to ever really be impractical.

actually there is a practical reason for doing this. with 2 seperate cabs you can place them on different parts of a stage changing the sound dispersion or use one as a stage monitor.
I'd go 40-50watt up for metal.

Ideally I'd have a wall of Diezels, Mesas, Bogners. Bad Cats, Hughes Kettners, Randalls, Kranks and ENGLs each running two 4x12 cabs... But then I realise that it's not 1987 anymore and we have reasonable PA systems these days.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.