Your favorite musicians and their most popular songs: How do you feel?

Page 1 of 5
Sometimes when you like a musician, it gets annoying when one of their songs gets really popular, but nobody cares about their others songs, which can be really good, if not better than their most popular tracks. Does that go for you guys?

Like, my favorite band is Boards Of Canada, and their most popular track is "Dayvan Cowboy." Which is a good track, but definitely not their best, plus it's a very out of character track for them.

My favorite composer is Claude Debussy, but everyone just knows about Clair De Lune because it was used in Twilight (whenever I hear people talk about it, I sigh sadly to myself). Yet, I like his orchestra works the most (check out "Fetes" from Nocturnes), which don't get nearly as played.

However, I love The Strokes, and their biggest track seems to be "Reptilia" which I also think is their best and most unique track.
Dragonforce's Through the Fire and Flames is their most popular track, however it's no one near their best in my opinion. Not to mention it was on their worst album they've made which was nothing but 200BPM shredding with a single ballad. It comes no where close to their other song, Disciples of Babylon which half the song is a slowed down acoustic guitar and piano solo. They even throw in two pseudo-Jazz bits in there.
My two favorite bands/artists/whatever are Buckethead and The Mars Volta.

Buckethead's most popular song is undoubtedly Jordan, thanks to Guitar Hero. While I like the track and think there's some great licks on it, it's a pretty standard and boring Bucket song.

The two TMV songs people seem to be familiar with are Televators and The Widow. Televators I love for being very emotional, touching, and out of step with the rest of De-Loused. The Widow, however, I detest. It seems like such an obvious play for the radio it's not even funny. They felt the need to pad a three minute song with ambient wankery just so it'd be above five minutes to try to throw us off the scent. But five minutes stands out on an album where no other track is shorter that ten minutes. The radio cut of L'via at four minutes is a thousand times better.
/fanboyrant
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
i listen to jazz fusion and folk metal and bluegrass, so very few of my favorite bands are really well known outside of fans of those genres.

though i suppose Johann Pachelbel might be a good example.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Damn Selkies. Quit getting played. Yes, you are a good song, and if I want to show someone an easier way into BTBAM, then I go for you, but you are by far not the best song they've put out.

Also back when I listened to Metallica more "Enter Sandman" was a bitch.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
I'm not too fussed by it,although a lot of the bands I listen to haven't had enough mainstream exposure to have a most popular song. I guess In Flames' Take This Life, cause it was on guitar hero, but that's an alright song anyway. Not their best, but decent
🙈 🙉 🙊
My favorite Musician is Ace Frehley, and his biggest song (solo or in kiss) is New York Groove. I like the song fine but its very out of character and far below his talent level....Sorry to live in the 70's, its just generally my favorite stuff
Quote by Thrasher51
Buckethead's most popular song is undoubtedly Jordan, thanks to Guitar Hero. While I like the track and think there's some great licks on it, it's a pretty standard and boring Bucket song.

Don't forget Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace.
I personally love the four part Lurker at the Threshold from The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock.

OT: I was just thinking this the other day about an artist/album I can't put my finger on. I remember thinking "Why is this song so popular? It's one of the worst on the album."
I'm not going to hate on a song just because it's popular though.

Sure, PF's Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 may be way overplayed, and it's definitely not their best song by far, but it's still damn good.
Quote by institutions
Don't forget Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace.

Soothsayer is an amazing song though, well deserving of being popular.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Skrillex.

SM&NS does not really do him justice.

All I Ask of You, With You, Friends (Long Drive Mix especially), and Do Da Oliphant, along with Ruffneck Bass and First of the Year, are excellent tracks IMO.

Also, When I touch the mike, I see the man scatta

Scatta, as if I had a clutch on the Magnum.
Quote by entity0009
Soothsayer is an amazing song though, well deserving of being popular.

I agree
When I mentioned them, I meant that they were among the most popular and well-known songs of his.
The Caesars - Jerk It Out. It's their only well known song but their other songs are all great...
Modest Mouse - Float On. Great song, but yeah...you're missing out if you haven't heard something off of The Lonesome Crowded West or The Moon and Antarctica.
I'm a huge Ozzy fan. Crazy Train seems to be his biggest, and I love the song, but there are other songs (even on that same album) that I think are even more awesome.
Bad Religion - I don't think any of their singles are their best songs.
Violent Femmes - Same. Most people I've met have only heard Blister in the Sun.
Speaking of Soothsayer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1c3F3d6YVU&feature=channel_video_title

this guys cover is just beyond epic and makes it his own. back on topic, i listen to so much music sometimes i only have time to listen to a few songs from the each band that i like, so only end up knowing just the popular or considered best songs. it's not that i don't care about their other songs, it's just that i'm just trying to get as wide an influence as possible from as many artists and maybe when im older i'll go back and check out more of their songs.
TS, you listen to excellent music
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by MakinLattes

true, even though brian baker is the better guitarist i still think everything they done before he joined is better.
Quote by Dreadnought
Debussy is your favorite composer? Interesting
Porque?
Quote by Khenro
TS, you listen to excellent music
Thanks, brah. I think so, too.
Alter Bridge is my favorite band at the moment and the radio has treated them well, playing some good songs from their most recent album and in the past on their previous albums. But some of my favorite songs by them are actually the bonus tracks from AB III and Blackbird, namely "Home", "Never Born To Follow" and "New Way To Live".
Quote by The Madcap
Porque?Thanks, brah. I think so, too.

Just never heard that particular choice before
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Ghostmaker
Alter Bridge is my favorite band at the moment and the radio has treated them well, playing some good songs from their most recent album and in the past on their previous albums. But some of my favorite songs by them are actually the bonus tracks from AB III and Blackbird, namely "Home", "Never Born To Follow" and "New Way To Live".

Put up your flame shield. That's my favorite band too, but people frown upon them here for some reason.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Big Star - most people only know that song that was the theme from That 70s Show and that wasn't even their version of it. pretty dumb, honestly.

Neil Young - i have no idea what someone would consider his most popular song, but i'm pretty certain that it would be something off of Harvest and for the most part, Harvest is kind of a middling album.
Yann Tiersen. A lot of people know him only by Comptine D'un Autre Ete, but his other works, even if we're just constrained to the Amelie soundtrack, is amazing too.
it's kind of annoying when you try to have a conversation with somebody about MGMT and the only song they know is kids.
But it's not one of those things I obsess over. I have enough of those things already.
EDIT: OMG red hot chili peppers and the only two songs people know are dani california and snow. That does piss me off.
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jun 29, 2011,
I love all Mars Volta equally. Including solo records, At the Drive-In and De-Facto.
Quote by uhh_me?
Big Star - most people only know that song that was the theme from That 70s Show and that wasn't even their version of it. pretty dumb, honestly.

Neil Young - i have no idea what someone would consider his most popular song, but i'm pretty certain that it would be something off of Harvest and for the most part, Harvest is kind of a middling album.

In the Street is my least favorite Big Star song. I think it's the worst one on that album. My favorites were always Thirteen and Feel.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I love all Mars Volta equally. Including solo records, At the Drive-In and De-Facto.

This, save for my Widow hate.
Refused - most people claim to like this band and have only ever heard New Noise, and maybe Liberation Frequency because of Paramore, then dismiss every other song on that god damn masterpiece of an album.
Quote by Thrasher51
This, save for my Widow hate.

How you gonna hate The Widow? If you're gonna hate anything it should be Asilos Magdalena. Possibly El Ciervo Vulnerado.

But then, I even like Bible and the Breathalyzer.
Quote by guitarage
Refused - most people claim to like this band and have only ever heard New Noise, and maybe Liberation Frequency because of Paramore, then dismiss every other song on that god damn masterpiece of an album.

I'm pretty sure my Paramore fangirl friend stole The Shape of Punk To Come from me. And one of my Daniel Johnston cds, too. That bitch.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
How you gonna hate The Widow? If you're gonna hate anything it should be Asilos Magdalena. Possibly El Ciervo Vulnerado.

But then, I even like Bible and the Breathalyzer.

I just managed to pick up Amputechture about a week ago and other than a few preliminary listens, I haven't really formed my overarching opinion yet. And I should rephrase my statement: The Widow is a fine hard rock song, but it's not what I expect from the Volta and it really screws with the flow of Frances to me.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

In the Street is my least favorite Big Star song. I think it's the worst one on that album. My favorites were always Thirteen and Feel.

i'd agree on it being the worst on the album, but by no means is it bad. just that everything else on that album is better.

perhaps "Thirteen" might have been a better choice for me to put my feelings out there one because i'd say that among people that consider themselves fans, that might be the most popular song.

and for good reason. the song is just incredible at conjuring up this world where everything is going be ok because of rock and roll and young love. it is all just really pure and it makes me sad, but in the best way. sigh.
Quote by MakinLattes
Violent Femmes - Same. Most people I've met have only heard Blister in the Sun.
And we all know "Kiss Off" is the best Violent Femmes song.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
And we all know "Kiss Off" is the best Violent Femmes song.

And "Add It Up", which I'll admit I only know off whichever Tony Hawks it was on, but still. I've only met one other person in my life who knows that song, or even the band.
They used to play "Blister in the Sun" on the rock station in Orlando all the time. The one that only sort of sucked, not the one that totally sucked. And it was in a Wendy's commercial.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
oh man, one of the best trips i've ever taken, we spent a good deal of it listening to the first Violent Femmes album with everyone in the car singing along.
Everyone knows "Where is My Mind" by the Pixies 'cuz of Fight Club, which irritates me because not only is it not even their best song, it's not even the best song off Surfer Rosa. I have a friend who likes that song, and I tried playin' Surfer Rosa when we were hangin' out & he changed the music after a couple songs. So lame.

Same thing with "The Killing Moon" by Echo & The Bunnymen 'cuz of Donnie Darko. That's less annoying, though, 'cuz "The Killing Moon" is easily one of their best cuts. I understand that not everyone can be hip like me & discover them by watching Urg! a Music War.
Creed. Their album Human Clay flowed pretty nicely until Higher and With Arms Wide open popped up. Not saying those are bad songs, but they don't exactly "fit" in the album. I can say the same from Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown with Know Your Enemy. The album flows very nice without it, the song kind of interrupts it.

Though I don't really get bothered much by a band's most popular song, unless someone says they're a huge fan of the band and they only know their biggest (or only) hit. Kind of hard to be a fan of a band if you only know one song.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 5