Hey dudes,

I've been looking for a power supply for my pedals because replacing batteries constantly is killing me haha and I'm having troubles finding something that will cover them all. Haha plus I've found the voltages and mAs to be confusing, electrics aren't my thing.

I'm currently running:

Line 6 DL-4 which runs off 9V AC 1200mA minimum
Boss RV-3 which runs off 9V DC
Boss TU-2 which runs off 9V DC
Weehbo JCM Drive which runs off 9V DC 28mA (but for those of you familiar with Weehbo pedals they can also run at 18V DC 51mA if you use the dynamic setting see: http://www.weehbo.com/h201.html)

My main concerns are with the Line 6 DL-4 and the Weehbo. I do have other pedals but these are what I gig with and I'm hoping to expand my gigging pedalboard with a few more that will probably only be standard 9V DC pedals.

I'm currently looking at a Modtone Power Plant (http://www.modtone-effects.com/Power-Plant-Variable-Voltage-En1.html) but I just want to double check on what else is out there like a T-Rex Fuel Tank, Voodoo Lab PP2+, etc and if anything else would really suit my needs.

Thanks in advance guys and let me know if there's any other info I can provide you with.
voodoo labs pedal power 2+

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/voodoo-lab-pedal-power-2-power-supply/153509000000000

the red wires work off 2 of the outputs on the pedal that specifically do those types Line 6 pedals. they have a couple more plugs for stuff like moogerfoogers or the ehx HOG.

there is also an 18V plug adapter that uses up 2 spots on the PP2.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 29, 2011,
^The PP2+ doesn't have AC though, the DL-4 needs AC.

I've got a Burkey Flatliner Pro, its bloody big and not cheap, but it can power basically anything you'd need. Its got a 9/12v AC output and you can use Y cables to get 18v.

Personally, I'd look at some of the Cioks units. Some of them have both DC and AC outputs, and possibly 18v if I remember correctly.

Check this out;
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808
Thats a list of basically every power supply on the market, that should help you find a suitable power supply.
Quote by littlephil
^The PP2+ doesn't have AC though, the DL-4 needs AC.

The PP2 docs specifically say it WILL power the DL-4...
-If you have a pedal with a 9V battery, you need a 9VDC power supply.
-The current, mA, needs to be ATLEAST as high as the total current you're drawing.
-Regulated DC power supplies are quieter and safer for your gear, but may cost a bit more.
-Unregulated DC power supplies have ripple in the voltage, which you could possible hear if it's severe enough or if you draw close to the maximum current. Also, regulated power supplies CAN lose their regulation if you draw too much current.

If your device only says the voltage in Volts and power in Watts, then you'll need to take the power and divide the voltage by it. For example:

9VDC pedal that consumes 300mW (3/10 of a Watt). 300mW/9V = 33.33mA of current being drawn from the power supply.

CALCULATING WHAT YOU NEED:
Line 6 DL-4 which runs off 9V AC 1200mA minimum
Boss RV-3 which runs off 9V DC _mA?
Boss TU-2 which runs off 9V DC _mA?
Weehbo JCM Drive which runs off 9V DC 28mA

The Line6 will not work with a DC power supply. It requires just a transformer (little box thing you plug into the wall outlet).

I may have explained too much, but it'll be important to understand if you are using a shit ton of gear. If you have any other electronics questions, just ask me. I'm an electrical engineer.
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So no one has anyone experience with the Modtone Power Plant?

At the moment the PP2+ seems the way to go. From what I understand, I'd also be able to run two Line 6 modelling pedals like a DL-4 and a MM-4 off the PP2+.

And what's the go with the sag option? Does it make much of a difference in sound?
never tried the modtone power plant. never heard of it.

@Phil: hmmm. i never actually checked the power requirements on those line 6 pedals, but the PP2 does explicitly state it power all the 'stompbox modelers' (that is how i heard of them, my buddy needed it for his pedals).

i do believe they have 2 dedicated barrel plugs for those pedals, makes me wonder if they have a tranny in that box.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by theoriginaldude
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So no one has anyone experience with the Modtone Power Plant?

At the moment the PP2+ seems the way to go. From what I understand, I'd also be able to run two Line 6 modelling pedals like a DL-4 and a MM-4 off the PP2+.

And what's the go with the sag option? Does it make much of a difference in sound?

As long as you has clean power, you will not have added noise. Good power will not make it sound better, but it won't make it sound poor like dirty power.
Rechargeable 9 volt batteries is the cleanest power you'll get for under $125.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate