Page 1 of 2
Hola. I have a Jolteon on my team that is level 37. I want him to learn a more powerful thunder move than thundershock which is what he has. I haven't fought Clair yet and I want to use him in my Elite Four team.

He knows Thundershock (30PP) Double Kick(30PP) Quick Attack(30PP) and Pin Missle(20PP). Which move do you think I should get rid of in place of Thunder? <-- I bought it at the Goldenrod mall. It has 10PP, so I'd like to keep Thundershock because it's pretty decent, and I kind of want to keep Double Kick and Pin Missle for the Elite Four dark types and rock types. I'm thinking get rid of Quick Attack, since even though it goes first and gets me out of some tight situations, Jolteon's speed is through the friggin roof, so it's not really a problem. What do you think?

Oh yeah, he learns Thunder Fang at level 43, should I just wait for that?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Last edited by thePTOD at Jun 29, 2011,
Pokemon thread.

But get rid of quick attack. And make sure someone on your squad has rain dance.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Thunderbolt>>>>>>>>>>>Thunder. more pp, better accuracy.

you really should just get rid of Thundershock. you don't need two Electric attacks.

but if you want to keep Thundershock, pick Double Kick or Pin Missile, because even with the type advantage, Jolteon's crap Attack stat plus the low power of those two moves will barely do any damage at all. Quick Attack won't do much either, but if the opponent has like 2 HP left, it's good to have.

i don't know about Thunderfang though, i've never played 4th or 5fth gen.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Thrasher51
Pokemon thread.

But get rid of quick attack. And make sure someone on your squad has rain dance.

Thanks. And I'll try to get rain dance. My team consists of Jolteon, Typhlosion, Kadabra, Kingler, Noctowl, and Mamoswine, so probably Kingler will learn it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Yeah I should probably get Thunderbolt instead. But I'm so lazy I don't want to get 10,000 coins from the game corner...
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Jolteon should know Thunder in place of thundershock and should also have rain dance in place of quick attack.
PS, awesome website to ask a pokemon question, haha.
first headbang stack.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I agree with this

http://www.serebii.net/potw/135.shtml

Thunderbolt and Hyperbeam. Get rid of the physical attacks and maximize Special Attack.

dat moveset:

Attacks:

Rain Dance
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Hyper Beam

Rain Dance is useless in that set. i think they meant Thunder?

now this has some good movesets.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
dat moveset:
If I understand right, that moveset is for the contests. Maybe they don't have them in this version (I can't remember what the last pokemon game I played was called, but it was one of the early gameboy advanced ones), but in the one I played, there were contests, where the moves each appealed to the judges in different ways; it isn't for battle.
Rain Dance gives Thunder 100% accuracy. So that sounds like a good combo.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
^^^It also uses a turn, and the attack is only slightly higher than thunderbolt.
Quote by theogonia777
dat moveset:

Rain Dance is useless in that set. i think they meant Thunder?

now this has some good movesets.

Those were the contest moveset.

Personally I would replace Batton pass with Hyperbeam for a final:

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice OR Grass
Substitute
Hyperbeam or perhaps Shadow Ball as suggested by the above link.
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by herby190
If I understand right, that moveset is for the contests. Maybe they don't have them in this version (I can't remember what the last pokemon game I played was called, but it was one of the early gameboy advanced ones), but in the one I played, there were contests, where the moves each appealed to the judges in different ways; it isn't for battle.

yeah, i realize that, i just thought that even in the contests you use Thunder and Raindance together and it gives you a bonus?

i don't really remember though, i haven't played any Pokemon games with contests in like 100 years. just Pokemon Stadium.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by stratdud39
use bulbapedia
And thunder's always been a beast move for me, fuck what theogonia said.

I might just go with thunder in place of quick attack, since I want to get through this soon and I'm really not in the mood to spend days at the game corner.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by stratdud39
use bulbapedia
And thunder's always been a beast move for me, fuck what theogonia said.

Thunder is good, but only if you have Raindance, otherwise it always misses.
Best thread ever
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by stratdud39
Hasn't been the case for me.

Then you are the luckiest man alive.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
Best thread ever

Yes.

I'd put in Thunder because it's a strong move, and I'd keep Thundershock so I can keep the high-PP-accuracy move and have the nice beastly move that hopefully hits. I'll see about it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by theogonia777
Thunder is good, but only if you have Raindance, otherwise it always misses.

No. Thunder is not good. Because while you use rain dance, your opponent switches to a ground type pokemon with earthquake.

"Hmmm Raindance. I wonder what the next move will be?"

~Bug Pokemon Gym Leader
I have the TM Charge Beam, which is an electric attack that can up Jolteon's Special Atk, should I use that instead of Thunder?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by metal4eva_22
No. Thunder is not good. Because while you use rain dance, your opponent switches to a ground type pokemon with earthquake.

"Hmmm Raindance. I wonder what the next move will be?"

~Bug Pokemon Gym Leader

the AI isn't that clever though, not to mention most of the Elite 4 (which is what TS wants it for) don't have Ground types, i think maybe just Bruno.
Quote by theogonia777
the AI isn't that clever though, not to mention most of the Elite 4 (which is what TS wants it for) don't have Ground types, i think maybe just Bruno.

Why can't people just admit when they're wrong?
Somebody answer my Charge Beam question pleeeaaaaaaassseeeeeee :p
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
I might just go with thunder in place of quick attack, since I want to get through this soon and I'm really not in the mood to spend days at the game corner.

Man up and buy the coins, nig. Its way easier.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I don't remember having this much confusion and trouble when I went through the Elite Four on HG
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Been at the game corner for 30 minutes and I've made maybe 100 coins for a total of 226 coins. Only need 9,774 more.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by metal4eva_22

You can't really say someone is "wrong" for having a preference for a certain move; that's like saying I'm wrong for preferring chocolate ice cream over strawberry.

Also, you obviously must play competitively or with friends. I've played all 5 generations and the only time that the computer is smart enough to switch is when your pokemon's type has an advantage.

^As for charge beam, you can replace quick attack with it and replace thundershock with thunder. It's pretty risky, so you'll want to save before major battles so you can retry your luck

Also, I hope you have other pokemon to help with the elite four because one pokemon will barely be able to defeat a whole team by itself, even if it has a type advantage instead of just move advantages. The elite four (the first time) was the hardest part for me when playing heartgold.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by thePTOD
Been at the game corner for 30 minutes and I've made maybe 100 coins for a total of 226 coins. Only need 9,774 more.

BUY THEM!!!
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by metal4eva_22

cause i ain't wrong.

the AI wouldn't switch, and if you were playing competitively, your Jolteon would obviously know HP Water. Raindance, they switch to Ground, Jolteon's faster, HP Water, it's raining, extra damage, super affective, extra damage.

besides, who's gonna take Pokemon advice from a guy with a 4X weakness to Rock?
But it must be done. I remember when I played Blue, I would spend all my money on coins so I could buy Dratini from the Game Corner instead of waiting until I got to the Safari Zone. Every time.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by itchy guitar
But it must be done. I remember when I played Blue, I would spend all my money on coins so I could buy Dratini from the Game Corner instead of waiting until I got to the Safari Zone. Every time.

It's much more satisfying to catch it.
Quote by itchy guitar

that was awful, because you could only buy 50 at once. **** you, Porygon!
Quote by stratdud39
It's much more satisfying to catch it.

Its much more satisfying to be able to have almost the entire game to train it, instead of the last 1/4.
Quote by MakinLattes
I would keep Quick Attack. That move has gotten me out of some tight situations on more than a few occasions.
Page 1 of 2