Hey anyone ever play in unusual tunings when covering or playing original songs? I played around with some like open F6sus4 in a cover of neil youngs hey hey my my. It gave the song a great shimmering suspended tone and plus the chords were very easy to play. I also find it good to experiment with altered tunings if say a song requires a capo, like wonderwall and you haven't got one.

F6Sus4 low to high: F F D F BbD
DSus4/F# low to high: F# A D G A D
Quote by rbouchard47
Hey anyone ever play in unusual tunings when covering or playing original songs?

What other circumstances are there?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
From low to high:
B F# C# G# C# C#

It's a pretty fun tuning for improvising higher up on the neck while using the lower open strings for pedal tones. I was curious to see if I could downtune far enough to tune a guitar in 5ths without the strings going slack, and the low B was about as low as I could go with my .11 gauge strings still sounding nice, and I was afraid tuning the higher strings up enough to continue the pattern would just break my strings. I ended up with this, ha.
:E
Last edited by Formina_Sage at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by AlanHB
What other circumstances are there?

Improvising, practising?
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by T7E
wow i love that song. how did you play it im figuring it out now

Ok the way I play it is I put it in a F6sus4 tuning and play it in the key of gmin.

chords: 220000(Gmin7th) 000000(F6sus4) (Ebsus2) xx1000 050700 (Bbsus2/F)

Intro verse: Gmin7th F6sus4 Ebsus2 repeat

then Bbsus2/F to Gmin7th then back to Gmin7th F6sus4 Ebsus2
Last edited by rbouchard47 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Flibo
Improvising, practising?

I guess it does call into question what elements are necessary for random playing to be called a song...
Soundcloud
Quote by rbouchard47
F6Sus4 low to high: F F D F Bb D

how is that not just open Bb? learn to analyze chords by roots, not the bass note.

i see absolutely no reason why improvising in an alternate tuning is any easier or more fulfilling than doing it in standard. if we're talking about running scale shapes, that's a different story - it may be easier, but it's hardly improvising.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
how is that not just open Bb? learn to analyze chords by roots, not the bass note.

i see absolutely no reason why improvising in an alternate tuning is any easier or more fulfilling than doing it in standard. if we're talking about running scale shapes, that's a different story - it may be easier, but it's hardly improvising.

Nah its totally F6sus4 man listen to it its real suspenful but i agree that the key of the tuning is Bb for sure. maybe im wrong i dont know what does everyone else think?
Quote by rbouchard47
Nah its totally F6sus4 man listen to it its real suspenful but i agree that the key of the tuning is Bb for sure. maybe im wrong i dont know what does everyone else think?

Err, depends on the context. I couldn't be bothered to re-tune my guitar to make a more useful comment.
Soundcloud
Quote by rbouchard47

...if you have the notes Bb D and F, in any order, it's a Bb major chord. you could argue that it's F6sus4, but assuming no context, those notes are definitely Bbmaj. there's more to naming chords than picking a note and relating all other notes to it -- yes, there's context, but it's also about common practice. so unless that chord has an F function -- which would be pretty hard to pull off unless you're doing some crazy jazz thing, it's a Bbmaj in second inversion. and sus has nothing to do with being suspenseful. suspensions are a different animal entirely.

also, where does this business of tunings having keys come from? what would you consider the "key" of standard?

you're tuned to an open Bb chord. nothing to it.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
...if you have the notes Bb D and F, in any order, it's a Bb major chord. you could argue that it's F6sus4, but assuming no context, those notes are definitely Bbmaj. there's more to naming chords than picking a note and relating all other notes to it -- yes, there's context, but it's also about common practice. so unless that chord has an F function -- which would be pretty hard to pull off unless you're doing some crazy jazz thing, it's a Bbmaj in second inversion. and sus has nothing to do with being suspenseful. suspensions are a different animal entirely.

also, where does this business of tunings having keys come from? what would you consider the "key" of standard?

you're tuned to an open Bb chord. nothing to it.

It actually does have an F function if you read my previous post you would see that. The chords in this tuning (Bmaj inversion) are Gmin7th: 220000 F6sus4:000000 Ebsus2: XX1000 Bbsus2/F: 050700. I put the song in a relative Gmin key. I guess you have to retune your guitar and play what i'm playing to get the idea. I am probably wrong when I said the tuning has a key but i was just referring to the fact that the chords used in the songs are all in the key of Bbmaj or its relative derivative Gmin,
Last edited by rbouchard47 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by stelalouis
hello to all and I can guess it as a good game and that is too good .

i almost understand what you are saying. Try harder
i like devin townsend, and the open tunnings he does (B, F#, B, F#, B, D) and iv always wanted to try a really low open tuning, specifically open A ( A, E, A, E, A, C#) could i use a seven string gauged string on my six string guitar, or could that possibly warp the neck or something? Thanks for the help
Quote by rbouchard47
It actually does have an F function if you read my previous post you would see that. The chords in this tuning (Bmaj inversion) are Gmin7th: 220000 F6sus4:000000 Ebsus2: XX1000 Bbsus2/F: 050700. I put the song in a relative Gmin key. I guess you have to retune your guitar and play what i'm playing to get the idea. I am probably wrong when I said the tuning has a key but i was just referring to the fact that the chords used in the songs are all in the key of Bbmaj or its relative derivative Gmin,

...how can it have an F function? it has only one of the notes necessary to function as an F (and the other notes imply a difference in function), and it has all notes necessary to function as Bb.

i read your previous post. don't talk down to me. if you knew a damn thing about application of theory you'd know it was a Bb chord.

your progression is Gm7, Bb/F, Ebsus2, Bbsus2/F. bass =/= function all the time. root = function. if i give you the notes C E and G, are you really going to try to tell me that's a G6sus4? really?
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
...how can it have an F function? it has only one of the notes necessary to function as an F (and the other notes imply a difference in function), and it has all notes necessary to function as Bb.

i read your previous post. don't talk down to me. if you knew a damn thing about application of theory you'd know it was a Bb chord.

your progression is Gm7, Bb/F, Ebsus2, Bbsus2/F. bass =/= function all the time. root = function. if i give you the notes C E and G, are you really going to try to tell me that's a G6sus4? really?

I'm going to agree with AeolianWolf here, I played the chord open as you have notated, and it definitely doesn't have that suspenseful sound you spoke of. It sounded exactly like a Bb chord. I'm not trying to be offensive or take sides, but it does sound a lot like Bb. Granted, yes, context comes into play, but I don't see at all how this could play as an F6sus4
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic