Page 1 of 2
My psychiatrist is on vacation so I can't call him.
UGers, what do you do when you are feeling really empty inside, like after a break-up or failing an admission test?

EDIT: No sex
Go out with friends. Fap. Play guitar. Fap. Drink alcohol. Fap. Fap to blackflag. Fap to ponies. Fap fap fap.

Fap.

FAP.

FAP

FAP
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Finding something constructive to take your mind off of whatever is going on. Reorganize your room, clean up the house, find a new instrument, learn something on guitar.

Better yet, find some friends to chill with. Talk about what's going on, but also have a good time, go out, have fun.
What I do: Drink, smoke, sleep, and tear my hair out.

I don't recommend that approach though.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Ghostmaker
Finding something constructive to take your mind off of whatever is going on. Reorganize your room, clean up the house, find a new instrument, learn something on guitar.

Better yet, find some friends to chill with. Talk about what's going on, but also have a good time, go out, have fun.

Yeah. Keeping yourself occupied always helps. When I find I am depressed I take a long walk in the woods behind my grandma's house. Everything is so much better then.
Drink usually. But I haven't done that to deal with my problems in quite some time now. Now a days, I just hang out with a friend or my god children. But that never really helps when I go home to bed alone with my thoughts or whatever. So I have some advice for you because it's helped me out immensely.

Get on Craigslist and find some volunteer work you can do in your town. Then go do it. It will make you feel a lot better, dude. I guarantee it. I was completely miserable not too long ago and I started doing volunteer work by accident and I haven't even been upset about anything for awhile. I don't know where I'm going to live in two days and I'm not that down about it because of it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
hang out with friends is a great option that my friend with depression issues did.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I've been playing a lot of guitar lately, but instead of making me feel better it makes me feel more depressed because I don't believe I'm good enough, blah blah blah. I can't control it.
I think I'm going to University tomorrow, after all, you can enter the UNAM without being graduated…

EDIT: Also, I have no friends to hang out with
Last edited by Fiire at Jun 29, 2011,
last time this happened to me i happened to be on top of a hill, so i climed it smoked a pack of cigs looking at the view then went and got obscenely drunk with some friends. This approach helps with short term stuff, but for persistent problems it doesnt.
Quote by Fiire
UGers, what do you do when you are feeling really empty inside, like after a break-up or failing an admission test?

If you're clinically depressed, you should probably be on medication.

Regardless, find a constructive (or at least non-destructive) way to distract yourself.
Read some FMLs, makes me feel much better seeing how much worse it could be.

Il give ya the link

http://www.fmylife.com/
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
It's gonna sound stupid, but meditate. Just for like, 10 minutes. Do it daily. I had to go to counselling, they said if you have uncontrollable thoughts or seem to feel like you're losing control of your mind, to just sit quietly, and focus on your breathing. Focus on how your body feels when you breath in and out. And if you get distracted just think to yourself, "I've noticed I'm distracted, now I'm going to focus on my breathing again." Set an alarm to go off 10 minutes after. It's basically like exercise for your mind. It helps you gain perspective on things (a more precious tool than you can imagine), and just get your head in order and be able to think positively and have faith in yourself. Do it for 5, 10 minutes a day. The difference will start before you know it and it will be one of the best decisions you make. It sounds like it's a load of shit, I know, but I tried it, and it helped me so much. And I know a lot of people who are in a similar position. It's a long term solution.

As well as this, exercise, as this is also shown to make you feel better, especially in the long run. Short run? Just keep busy so you aren't dwelling on it and making it all 100x worse. Play guitar. Watch TV. Hang out with friends. Read a book. Whatever. Anything to take your mind off it that is preferably not damaging to yourself. Alcohol, I find, usually just makes me feel a million times shitter. For me anyway, it just exacerbates whatever mood I'm in, be it happy, sad, whatever.

Hope this helps. It really helped me...so much. I hope it does for anyone reading this who might need it too.
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
Check out the "First one to laugh" (or something like that) picture thread in The Pit
Quote by ThatGuy_17
Check out the "First one to laugh" (or something like that) picture thread in The Pit

YLYL was killed by the mods.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Fiire

I don't know, I've been diagnosed with depression, but have come with great grips with it lately realizing that all pain, emotional and all that is temporary. At the end of the day, most things that happen to you won't change your life all that dramatically, and the absolute worse things in life that will happen to you will eventually become normal.

I guess instead of dwelling on my loss or whatever I sit there and try to reestablish normality.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by MakinLattes
If I feel depressed I take action to fix what's wrong with my life.

You don't understand what depression is then. There's not always something wrong with the person's life. I mean there can be triggers, like a break up or something, but sometimes it just happens. Depression isn't just sadness, but an actual medical condition.

You wouldn't say "if I had cancer I would just cure it" because that's rediculous, please treat other illnesses with the same respect.
Quote by MakinLattes
If I feel depressed I take action to fix what's wrong with my life.

Oh yeah.

I feel poor. brb gonna go get rich all of a sudden. Can't breath very well because of my asthma. Let me just go get a new set of lungs.
pinga
Quote by tayroar
You don't understand what depression is then. There's not always something wrong with the person's life. I mean there can be triggers, like a break up or something, but sometimes it just happens. Depression isn't just sadness, but an actual medical condition.

You wouldn't say "if I had cancer I would just cure it" because that's rediculous, please treat other illnesses with the same respect.

I don't know, I think two years in lock down mental and rehabilitation facilities coupled with a host of medications taught me quite a deal about depression.

Quote by Cb4rabid
Oh yeah.

I feel poor. brb gonna go get rich all of a sudden. Can't breath very well because of my asthma. Let me just go get a new set of lungs.

Seeking treatment, finding distractions, avoiding triggers, those all count as "taking action".

You are an idiot.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by Somekid94
I seriously might kill you for that because now I have to watch it.

Don't worry. Your anger will just melt away
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by MakinLattes
I don't know, I think two years in lock down mental and rehabilitation facilities coupled with a host of medications taught me quite a deal about depression.

I've been in a mental institute myself, don't act like it's just something you can just get over if you've been there, good for you if you've overcome it, I have too, but it was with several medications and a therapist.
Quote by tayroar
I've been in a mental institute myself, don't act like it's just something you can just get over if you've been there, good for you if you've overcome it, I have too, but it was with several medications and a therapist.

Do you think that someone can overcome it without having to 'talk to somebody?'

I ask because I am depressed but I refuse to 'share feelings'. It's so fake.
pinga
Quote by tayroar

I'm not acting like anything, dude. All I said was I would do whatever I had to to not be depressed or at least distract from it for a while. Christ on a stick. I'm not invalidating depression as something that isn't real or isn't a serious problem. Get off my damn jock.
Quote by PLOP
It's gonna sound stupid, but meditate. Just for like, 10 minutes. Do it daily. I had to go to counselling, they said if you have uncontrollable thoughts or seem to feel like you're losing control of your mind, to just sit quietly, and focus on your breathing. Focus on how your body feels when you breath in and out. And if you get distracted just think to yourself, "I've noticed I'm distracted, now I'm going to focus on my breathing again." Set an alarm to go off 10 minutes after. It's basically like exercise for your mind. It helps you gain perspective on things (a more precious tool than you can imagine), and just get your head in order and be able to think positively and have faith in yourself. Do it for 5, 10 minutes a day. The difference will start before you know it and it will be one of the best decisions you make. It sounds like it's a load of shit, I know, but I tried it, and it helped me so much. And I know a lot of people who are in a similar position. It's a long term solution.

As well as this, exercise, as this is also shown to make you feel better, especially in the long run. Short run? Just keep busy so you aren't dwelling on it and making it all 100x worse. Play guitar. Watch TV. Hang out with friends. Read a book. Whatever. Anything to take your mind off it that is preferably not damaging to yourself. Alcohol, I find, usually just makes me feel a million times shitter. For me anyway, it just exacerbates whatever mood I'm in, be it happy, sad, whatever.

Hope this helps. It really helped me...so much. I hope it does for anyone reading this who might need it too.

I do meditate, I learned it in taekwondo, but its not enough, I just can't focus.
Thanks anyway
Quote by Cb4rabid
Do you think that someone can overcome it without having to 'talk to somebody?'

I ask because I am depressed but I refuse to 'share feelings'. It's so fake.

I don't think its possible without having at least a serious realization about something and developing a better coping mechanism. This is easily come by with a professional, and even after that you'll still have periods of depression, just not as many and you'll have a better way of handling it.

Depression treatment isn't so much as curing it as it is learning to live with it.

Quote by MakinLattes
I'm not acting like anything, dude. All I said was I would do whatever I had to to not be depressed or at least distract from it for a while. Christ on a stick. I'm not invalidating depression as something that isn't real or isn't a serious problem. Get off my damn jock.

Sorry, I'm just ready to jump on people over that. So many times of hearing, just get over it man, made me hate people who invalidate depression as a serious illness.
Last edited by tayroar at Jun 29, 2011,
Page 1 of 2