I just started guitar recently, I've learnt a couple of songs from tabs and I need some tips for practice excercises. If someone could give me an excercise for as many different skills as possible that would be great. (Picking techniques, speed improvement excercises etc. etc.)

Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

Learn chords and songs from chord sheets (not tab).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
...and to prepare yourself for the future, throw a TV set out of a window after each practice.

Might annoy the other people where you live though... just explain the situation to them and they'll be fine....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by AlanHB
Learn chords and songs from chord sheets (not tab).

Where can I get those?
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

Quote by Chopped_In_Half
Where can I get those?

Just google "chord sheet" instead of "tab" when looking for songs. Granted the song should be chord driven, but that encompasses a lot of songs.
Soundcloud
What about for lead guitar? And songs that use power chords etc.
Also what are some good exercises for warm ups and to improve picking etc.

Quote by Chopped_In_Half
What about for lead guitar? And songs that use power chords etc.
Also what are some good exercises for warm ups and to improve picking etc.

Power chords are chords.....

For lead you can go to the tab or learn major and minor scales to figure them out yourself.

For technique questions, we have a guitar technique forum.
Soundcloud
Really make sure you use alternate picking early! That was a huge mistake for me. Start off learning the major and minor scales. Then practicethose everyday and use alternate picking. I never set up a practice time. When I got home from school I would play guitar, stop, play guitar. If you set up a practice time. I bet you will get tired of it and think of it as a chore
I've been using alternate picking from day 1. I set up a sort of practice schedule, I made a chart of the minimum practice I HAVE to do every day e.g scales, chords, learning the all the notes on the fretboard etc. but I only use as a guideline really. Some days I might do all that stuff and then another 2 hours but other days I might just do my minimum. Depends how I feel really.

Quote by Chopped_In_Half
I've been using alternate picking from day 1. I set up a sort of practice schedule, I made a chart of the minimum practice I HAVE to do every day e.g scales, chords, learning the all the notes on the fretboard etc. but I only use as a guideline really. Some days I might do all that stuff and then another 2 hours but other days I might just do my minimum. Depends how I feel really.

Try Justinguitar.com

If you're looking for a nice set of progressive beginner lessons. At some point he covers all these things. They are free.

Best,

Sean
+1 to what Sean said above. The beginner lessons on that site are perfect for where you are right now. Good luck!

Hope the TV thing hasnt caused you too much trouble.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Sean0913
Try Justinguitar.com

If you're looking for a nice set of progressive beginner lessons. At some point he covers all these things. They are free.

Best,

Sean

I used justinguitar.com when i started playing and that made huge improvements
I've been using justinguitar.com for the last week or so. Timewise I'm not a beginner...I've been playing off and on casually for 6 or 7 years but I've never been past what I'd consider a beginner level. Up until I got a new guitar (one that was more comfortable to play) for my birthday last week I hadn't played (seriously) in almost a year. So I've decided to start from the beginning as if I had never played before. I stumbled across the justinguitar site and I can honestly say it has helped me more in the first week than anything I did in the first year of playing. The site is fantastic. The guy is a great instructor. And best of all its free. I highly recommend that site.

I also want to say that some of the suggestions I've seen in this thread as well as the thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459954 are fantastic. There are some practicing suggestions I had never thought of that I think will really help. I'm glad I finally decided to start checking out the UG forums.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!