I have a Fender Frontman 15G. Now this thing gives a loud hissing noise as soon as it's turned on. I thought it was because it couldn't handle the distortion but I turned everything to 0 and the hissing was still there, just as loud. Is this normal?
If not, are there any other beginner amps that DO NOT hiss when turned on? I can get a refund on my current amp.
I live in an apartment with walls that aren't sound-proof so amps that are too loud aren't good. and I also have a nice acoustic so I don't need good clean tones.
and i'm planning on buying a cheap boss d-1 distortion pedal. i just want to make sure my amp won't hiss....
thanks.
oh, and some amps I'm looking at are roland cube 15 vs. vox vt 15 vs. fender mustang i. do any of these hiss/crackle/have static?
My crappy no-name 20W practice amp doesn't hiss when turned on, even when ran with a fuzz pedal I have... You should see if it can be fixed or if you can get that refund.
Professional lurker since 2009.
It's prob your cables, maybe you need a new one or something?

Are you using single coils? They cause a lot of noise as well.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
It's prob your cables, maybe you need a new one or something?

Are you using single coils? They cause a lot of noise as well.

It's still there when no cable is plugged in.
what are single coils? (sorry I'm a newbie)
There are a lot of things that this could be.

1) Your guitar. Touch the strings with the amp on. Does the buzzing decrease dramatically when you touch the strings? If so, something may not be grounded right in your guitar.

2) Your cables. When you play, can you hear anything coming through your amp? If you can hear it, is it incredibly quiet and faint compared to the buzz? If so, then you may just need to buy a better instrument cable.

3) Your settings. Check the gain knobs to see how high they are. High gain will definitely bring a high buzz, but to some extent this is normal. Practice amps aren't built with quality tone/noise control in mind. (Not that your amp sucks or anything).

Oh, and Knucklehead may be right. Have you been using a combination of bleach/ammonia to clean your amp off?

edit: or been in a war lately?
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
My amp did that... I had generic cables from my local music store. I got livewires and its pretty quiet.

Single coils are your pick ups. Compared to humbuckers, there pretty loud, but produce different tones.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
It's not from my guitar or my cable.
I haven't cleaned the amp with anything, since I got it a week ago.
I'm taking it back to the store to try and find out what's going on.
If you get a refund look into the peavey Vyper 15w modeling amp. I have one I don't get really any hiss. I do have a question though. When I stand a certain way or spot it will hum threw my amp or if I move in a certain spot it will go away. What does that mean?
Quote by Austin174
If you get a refund look into the peavey Vyper 15w modeling amp. I have one I don't get really any hiss. I do have a question though. When I stand a certain way or spot it will hum threw my amp or if I move in a certain spot it will go away. What does that mean?

You do realize that amps have a tenancy to interfere with other objects.......Like when I'm using it with my laptop, theres usually some buzz. It's no big deal though.

I believe it can be fixed but don't know how and its not a big deal.

EDIT: TS, something is definately wrong with your amp. I forgot to mention it when I posted this
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by dkeenan
My amp did that... I had generic cables from my local music store. I got livewires and its pretty quiet.

Single coils are your pick ups. Compared to humbuckers, there pretty loud, but produce different tones.

Not at all, sir, not at all.

Anyway, TS, it's probably just the fact that it's up really loud - is it? I haven't used a Frontman 15 in years (I had one, it was my first amp, which I got back in october of 06), but I remember mine being pretty quiet.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.