Hey guys,
I'm wondering if any of you knew how to help my playing become smoother? Where the notes tie together very well? This is very hard to explain.... Have you heard people play the guitar where the notes are cut off before the next ones are played? Kinda "choppy" if you know what I mean.. I'm just trying to make my playing sound smoother and not choppy. Any ideas how to help this? As in like when exactly to pick the next note, and how to get my fingers to play the next note quicker. Thanks in advance.
You just need to practice. Your problem is that your hands aren't syncing up nicely.

I pick the note at the same time I fret a note. This is a given when playing faster things, but some may just opt to fret a note, THEN pick when playing slower things.
okay. this is what I thought was happening. I really need to fix my hands. I've been trying so hard to sync them up here lately, but I'm just getting no luck. Even when playing super slow, or super fast.
if you really want to be good at alternate picking, do this every day. do it painfully slow at like 20 bpm if it takes that to get it perfect:
e|--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--5-4-3-2---------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------5-4-3-2-----------------------------
G|------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------5-4-3-2-------------------
D|--------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2---------
A|----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2
E|1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and once you hit the low E, go up one fret and go 3-4-5-6 upwards, then 7-6-5-4 downwards, you should understand the pattern. remember that as soon as you screw up, start over again. make every note perfect. if you make sure your completely synced up, you hit every note perfectly, completely in time with a metronome, and you practice this for like 20 mins a day every day, then you will be a lot smoother and better at alternate picking. the notes are 16th notes on the beat. so all 4 in the space of one beat.

if you practice this messily, then you will play messily and you dont gain much. so practice it perfectly, and in a year you will see a lot of improvment. dont expect to see much in the start, but once you can play this at say 50bpm perfectly, go up to 60 or so, then do that perfectly. if you dont do it perfectly, go back to 50 and keep practicing until 60 is possible. then in a few years you might be playing it at 160bpm. but if you wanna get there, you have to practice perfectly and properly. that's my tip to you.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
but if you wanna get there, you have to practice perfectly and properly. that's my tip to you.

^ That pretty much sums it up. Practice - really slowly and precisely - how you want to sound as a player.
Alright. I'll work on the exercise a ton. I just don't really understand when to hit the note. I know I'm supposed to hit it exactly when I push the string on the fret, but it's like I always hit it early. And when I try and hold off a second, it sounds choppy.
maybe smaller strings should help? I'm playing with ernie ball not even slinky on my sg (12-56) and elixir heavys on my les paul (12-52). I'm thinking about switching to the normal slinky strings. (10-42). Think this will help any?
String size has nothing to do with it.

Alright. I'll work on the exercise a ton. I just don't really understand when to hit the note. I know I'm supposed to hit it exactly when I push the string on the fret, but it's like I always hit it early. And when I try and hold off a second, it sounds choppy.

At least you've spotted the problem - the trick is to go slow enough you can get it right every time. If you want your notes to sound smoothly joined up you have to practice really slowly and smoothly joined up. This might help - www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU
Alright, I'll keep this in mind. I'll watch that video in just a second too, but I also had another question.. I'm just trying to get other people's opinions on this, but what are some different ways to hold your pick? I've been trying to settle on one way. And Idk which way to choose.
Most of your noise is in your left hand. Do as Guthrie said and get the left hand perfect, then add the right.