Humbucker
18 23%
Soap Bar
9 12%
other
3 4%
Voters: 77.
i only have the basic ones listed.

mine is jazz cause well with that and a on board eq anything is possable tone wise.
I'm not that much into bass but I play it occasionally. I prefer P because most of the bands I like use that and humbuckers. It seems alot more versatile than a J bass to me, because there is no way a J bass can deliver thumping bass lines but a P bass can be somewhat close to the light sound of a J bass.

The bass I have is P/J though. Although I never use the J bass
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I voted P. Mainly because the church I play in my church band is an old 1970 Fender P Bass (nobody realizes how valuable it is) it sounds terrific.
I voted P.
Got double active P on my Widow and changing the single passive P to a single active P on my Warlock.
Love that crunch
I love P's so I chose P.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'm a wh0re for P basses
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Call me crazy, but P style is my least favorite type of pickup. I love the soapbars & humbuckers.
Overall, I'd have to give it to the split P. Although I have a special place in my heart for 50's Precision single coils and Lightwave pickups.

Also, just an observation about the poll: soapbars refer mostly to the size and shape of the pickup shell. While the majority of bass soapbars are humbuckers, there are all manner of pickups that can come in soapbar housings.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I chose J, but closely followed by humbuckers.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
J, because I have it, but P/J is a very close second. I dont get who'd chose a P, though, because with P/J, you get the same thing... and more.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I voted Humbucker... as 2 of my most frequently played basses use a single H.... kind of... My Bronco with an SD Hotrails and my ATK300 with the tripple coil.

But... i like em all... I like the P bass tone the most... but lately, i just find it so ubiquetous, that i play other things almost out of spite, haha... ESPECIALLY in the indie-pop scene.

Though... i HAVE been gravitating to the Jazz side... my Fender 4 string and active Ibanez 5 string are both J/J setups, and they both FEEL the best...

Hrmmm... thinking about another paroject bass, now...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I went P/J... it's true jack of all trades IMO.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I've only played a Precision (which I own) and a Jazz which I tried with a fuzz pedal at a music shop. I love the bassy tone of the Precision, but I'd love to have a P/J for versatility I'll vote P since I haven't tried P/Js yet, though.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I've lived my entire bass playing career with jazzes but next bass is definitely going to be a P/J
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
P is my first and true love, and I'm about to be using a passive double P. I have a Jazz and it has a great tone, but I know if I had my P bass in usable condition the Jazz would collect more dust than it already is.

Does my mustang count as P too? Cause I love it as well. I have to say though if money grew on trees, I'd have a 50's single coil P bass, and a modded bronco with 3 rails and a 5 way
My bass has a humbucker but I prefer PJ set ups.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
"Soapbar" covers too much ground. There is way too much variety among them to lump them into a single category. So far, a good MM-style humbucker is the best. Although a very good noiseless Jazz pickup sounds fantastic.

I've never liked P/J setups. The Precision pickup is so much louder than the Jazz that it hardly makes sense.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
"Soapbar" covers too much ground. There is way too much variety among them to lump them into a single category. So far, a good MM-style humbucker is the best. Although a very good noiseless Jazz pickup sounds fantastic.

I've never liked P/J setups. The Precision pickup is so much louder than the Jazz that it hardly makes sense.

Oh man... i don't think i've ever agreed with a single UG post more than this, right here.

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Yeah you need a humbucker if you're having a bridge pickup in my opinion]

My starter bass was p/j, I was persuaded that it was the way to go for versatility. Never found a use for the J.
Last edited by smb at Jul 1, 2011,
Totally!

The only P/J's that have come close to sounding good, to me, were active. That bridge pup REALLY needs that extra oomph. The Yamaha BB series and the G&L SB-2 were the 'better' sounding P/Js to my ears... but still, i'd take a single P Yamaha BB or an SB-1 over either one, any day.
I prefer J, but P/J's up there too. Just in case I wanna have a little fun with the P
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Noob question: does having a P/J bass affect the tone of each pickup. For example: Will a Fender Standard P bass sound different from the Precision pickup on a Standard P/J bass?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Depends on the genre for me. Typically, I fall into the following categories:

Funk: Pair of J pickups.
Prog: Pair of Humbuckers
RnB/Soul: P

I may try a P and Humbucker in a 5 string fretless though. I'll have to see.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by JKHC
Noob question: does having a P/J bass affect the tone of each pickup. For example: Will a Fender Standard P bass sound different from the Precision pickup on a Standard P/J bass?
I have seen people claim they can hear a difference. They're probably the same people who can hear the difference between maple and rosewood fretboards.
Quote by JKHC

It depends on some things.

The way it is wired can cause one pickup to
affect the other. The way it is wired can effect
the way a single split pole pup responds also.

Pickup placement will definitively affect the way
the neck pup responds. Most PJ basses have
the neck pup farther north than a P bass. That
makes the neck pup warmer and maybe less
distinct with less mids and highs.

There is a give and take there. If the bridge pup
gets too far south, it sounds thin. So they compete
with space and taste.

Depending on the pickups, if they get too close
together, that will affect the responses of one
another. The pups have a so-called "flux field".
A field of magnification that the strings disturb.
That disturbance causes the sound. The field
of one can affect the field of the other.

So there is competition for space and taste.

Some come closer than others,

Tabdog
Quote by smb
I have seen people claim they can hear a difference. They're probably the same people who can hear the difference between maple and rosewood fretboards.

I can sometimes hear the difference......Especially at a music store with like 10 different strats hanging on the wall. It isn't that big of a deal because for me to hear it, I have to be really, really clean and listen carefully. Its hard because in most cases the pickups aren't the exact same hight. But w/e
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I like soapbar's but only p90's. which sucks because I dont have any guitars with that kind of pickups
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
I like Js, but I don't have enough experience with soapbars and humbuckers to really say what would be my overall favorite.
I didn't vote because it varies every second day but usually:

A nice set of tight noiseless J's for everything
P bass for anything RnB, slapped or classic rock, even motown sometimes
Not really a fan of any buckers except for the MM ones but i've never owned a bass with soapbars (apart from my brief stint with a thunderbird )
It's P for me. I have a KAWAI KRB105 with P/J pick-ups but I never use the J, although I did own a Thunderbird for a while and those humbuckers sure sounded sweet in the studio, while recording, but for gigs....passive P Bass.
I vote for P/J.

I love the sound from my precision, but I can't get a decent slap sound from it - slap sounds better with a bridge pickup I think.

Have you considered the implications of different wiring schemes? I would imagine a Musicman style setup with one humbucker, able to be split and run in series or parallel, could be very versitile. have you also considered the effect routing lots of wood out will have on tone, for example for a two humbucker setup, (maybe even between P and P/J setups...?)
My fave is a big thumping dual active humbucker configuration with onboard 3 band EQ.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Skullivan
I voted P. Mainly because the church I play in my church band is an old 1970 Fender P Bass (nobody realizes how valuable it is) it sounds terrific.

You have a P-Bass at your church?
Lucky.
All we got is some Samick, which is like a squire knock-off.