I was just about to pull the trigger on an Ibanez RG3550 or this Jackson Soloist I found on eBay, but while doing some research I've heard that factory pickups; whether they claim to be dimarzios or seymour duncans, happen to be 'fake'? -- or at least not as good?

Could someone please break the ice for me? Thanks.

Also, opinions on my choices and which one you would prefer?http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-RG3550MZ-LIST

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-SL2H-SOLOIST-SNOW-WHITE-W-HARDSHELL-/370518170934?pt=Guitar&hash=item56449a9d36
The pickups on the 3000 model Ibbys should be genuine DiMarzios. And yes Ibanez also colab with DiMarzio to make other pickups on some of their lower end models, like the DiMarzio IBZ (I've never used them though).

As for opinions on choice. I would take the Ibanez myself, just prefer them over Jackson, and I think it looks cooler. xD
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
As far as Jackson guitars go, if they say "Seymour Duncan" on them, then they are real Seymour Duncan pickups. The "imitations" say "Duncan Designed" on them. They are made in Korea to Seymour Duncan specifications - but not hand wound in the USA. And honestly, those "Duncan Designed" pups aren't too shabby either.

A Soloist should have real Seymour Duncan pickups in it.
that link is specifically about Ibanez... i was specifically speaking about Jackson. but again - according to link for Ibanez stock pops... guitar pickups labeled "Seymour Duncan" are USA made; and pickups labeled "Duncan" are "off-shore" made.
those are real dimarzio's. some ibby's, as mentioned above, have pickups that are designed by dimarzio but made by somebody else (often Ibanez). those ones aren't great. the real ones are amazing.

I would take the ibanez. I prefer the neck on that one to the neck on the jackson.
i just picked up a RG3550MZ for dirt cheap from GC (less than $700 after tax), and its a killer guitar.

it has genuine dimarzio pickups, not the questionable Dimarzio/IBZ.

killer guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
probably "duncan designed" or some bs like that
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Ibanez do work with DiMarzio to produce pickups [DiMarzio Designed]. They are cheaper.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I can't believe some of the misinformation going on in this thread.

In the US it is ILLEGAL for any company to give false information in any ad or spec sheet. When you don't see "designed by" in a spec sheet, it means that the pups are genuine.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Go for the Ibanez, use the extra cash to flip out the pups, get a real FR, and put some higher output pots in there.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^^ What the hell is a high out put pot, I think you just made smething up dude!! pots are 250k, 500k, 1 meg, ect. And the value will afect tone, but I have never heard them called high output pots
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate