Been a while, all, what's up?

Anyway, I've come to an odd situation that I can't quite solve with my friends. I've got a Fender P-Bass Deluxe Special or whatever... It's got a maple fretboard with a P-J pickup combo. Currently, it's loaded with a Duncan Quarter Pounder P-bass pickup and the stock "Fender Vintage Style Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup." I've got the option of ordering some Duncans dirt cheap right now and was wondering if I should match a Quarter Pounder Jazz Bridge with the P-bass or if using the Duncan Vintage is a better idea. I use the bass mostly for country and blues music.

I like how clunky the P-bass Quarter Pounder sounds, but I'm afraid the matching bridge pickup might be a little too much and I'm also afraid the Vintage style pickup might end up being too tame to work well with the Quarter Pounder.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
vintage bro. for what youre doing, vintage. where can you order them from for "dirt cheap" haha if you dont mind me asking.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
This is P-bass #3 for me, the quarter pounder's clunk cuts through the mix pretty well, I'm just afraid that the single coil vintage will be completely overwhelmed by the P-bass Quarter Pounder's sound/feel. The "Fender Vintage" pickup is almost negligible in the sound mix. Does the Duncan sound that much stronger? The P-bass Quarter Pounders sound like a Jazz Bass in terms of how aggressive it is.

Where I'm getting them from, I can simply say this: I work for a retail store that stocks Duncan Pickups on occasion, which means I can special order them for cheap.
In regards to the SDs vs Vintage voiced thing... i like to match. I think you'd like the nice growl an SD in the bridge would give.

On the other hand... an SD bridge and a Vintage P would be pretty rad... you'd get that motown P sound with the P solo'd, but blend in the bridge pickup and you could get a niiiiiiice more agressive tone...

You said it's a P Delux Special... isn't that the Active version?

Also, what do your other P's have loaded in them? There ARE other options out there as well...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
In regards to the SDs vs Vintage voiced thing... i like to match. I think you'd like the nice growl an SD in the bridge would give.

On the other hand... an SD bridge and a Vintage P would be pretty rad... you'd get that motown P sound with the P solo'd, but blend in the bridge pickup and you could get a niiiiiiice more agressive tone...

You said it's a P Delux Special... isn't that the Active version?

Also, what do your other P's have loaded in them? There ARE other options out there as well...

It's the older one, before they went active. I've got a 90's Mexi loaded with an SPB-1 (vintage) and an Epiphone clone loaded with the SPB-2 (the hot). The Extra bass tone out of that helps balance with the Epi's ultra bright sound.
Ah.... in that case... since you don't seem to NEED another bass at the moment... maybe save a bit more and do something completely different...

-Fralins. AWESOME P/J set if you have the $$$... kind of traditional tone, but the J pup is one of those humbucking types that matches up REALLY well with the P.

-P/J Set from a Yamaha BB series... I'm not actually a huge fan of th P/J setup... but the Yamaha BB series is the big exception to the rule for me. It has it's own unique tone that i aliken more to a Stingray tone. Still, awesome versitility therin as well. Also, they LOOK awesome (IMHO) as they use rails instead of pole pieces.

-Something from the 80's... all those wonderfully underrated basses from the 80's with wacky paintjobs and pointy angles actually had REALLY good tones hiden under their looks. You should be able to snag a P/J set (which was a popular set up) from an 80's Charvel, Jackson, BC Rich, Ibanez etc etc for fairly cheap. It'll give you a totally different tone than the standard SD's in a Fender tone...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Well, I decided to go with the Duncan SJB-3, the quarter pounder. We'll see how it goes over, tone wise. I'm an adamant duncan user, so I'll stick with them. Thanks for the advice, though.
^ Good choice, SD QPs are ridonkulous. Their vintage pickups (i.e. deliberately lower output) really don't stand a chance, volume wise. You can't blend them together and you'd have to constantly fiddle with the settings if you wanted to switch between the pickups soloed.