So I've been playing for about 5 or 6 years now. I took lessons for a few years and then started teaching myself. I've only focused on rhythm guitar and now, I find myself stuck. I've got a decent picking hand but I cant seem to get even the simplest of leads. I need some basic advice, and need to know what solos to start on because I want to become a more rounded player. I feel like I should be much farther than I am.

Thanks for the help!
Ha I'm kinda the exact opposite. I like to play fills and soloing but am not the best at creating good chord progressions. If I could make a recommendation I would say to strictly play along with a single song and just have fun soloing over it. You don't have to make it more complicated than it has to be. Just play over it and begin to get a sense of what you want to play and how you want to play it.
^totally agree. i started out as mainly a rhythm player too, but ended up with the lead guitarist role in several bands, and i learned by just playing over different songs and tracks, and listening a lot, and specifically to lead guitar players. I think that's the biggest part is listening to what other players do.
patience solo is a good start, just saying. try that, then try so fine, the gnr song. play to the song. once you can do that its up to you.
just my opinion, since it really helped me break into lead
Quote by Crabpeople17
So I've been playing for about 5 or 6 years now. I took lessons for a few years and then started teaching myself. I've only focused on rhythm guitar and now, I find myself stuck. I've got a decent picking hand but I cant seem to get even the simplest of leads. I need some basic advice, and need to know what solos to start on because I want to become a more rounded player. I feel like I should be much farther than I am.

Thanks for the help!

First you want to identify the kind of sound and style you want to have as a lead player. Are you more interested in a blues rock feel a la Slash or neoclassical shred like Jason Becker? Identify the techniques that your favorite lead guitarists use in their playing. Look at what they do with those techniques and what kind of phrasing they use. Once you kind of have an idea of what sound you want, take a look at songs by those guitarists whom you look up to and start learning some of their lead lines.

There isn't any song or solo that you "need" to start with. It all depends on what you want to sound like and where you want to go. Hence, I'd recommend different approaches for a guy wanting to play similar stuff to Slash as opposed to Jason Becker. I could give you a list of almost patronizingly easy solos to learn, but that would do a lot less good than if you were to decide for yourself what artists and songs to look at to learn to play in a certain style.

Now, if you just want songs that will force you to boost your technique, check the sticky. Those songs tend to be quite monstrous, but they'll give you an idea of what kind of skills different guitarists employ for different effects.
Quote by aeromorello17
I think that's the biggest part is listening to what other players do.

Quote by Geldin
everything

+1

Listening, REALLY listening to how the greats (or your favorite players) phrase and play solos definitely took my lead playing and improvisation to the next level. Geldin's on the money too, if you're going to learn solos, learn them for the sake of enhancing the skillset you want to achieve.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w