Hey, I always hear from people that many classic rock bands record with tiny amps, but no one ever says who they are. What are some of the names of the bands and albums, even songs that I can listen to for this awesome tone. Also, what are your favorite small amps to record with?
Led Zeppelin's sef titled debut was recorded (mainly) on a Supro Thunderbolt.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Derek and the Dominos-Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs was recorded using a Tweed Champ
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs was recorded on a tweed Champ. TBH it doesn't matter. Use whatever works for the situation/player.

EDIT: Dom you sonofabitch.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
@ slap happy: classic one

mars volta evidently did 'deloused' with a number of small amps like a fender princeton for example, stone temple pilots was also known to use supro's.

Quote by Sadbutrue62
Also, what are your favorite small amps to record with?

sears and roebuck 1482
gretsch supro electromatic
ampeg g18
kay k300
some old univox we have sitting around

they sound huge
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 30, 2011,
Apparently Rory Gallagher recorded most of his "Fresh Evidence" album with a Washburn Southside Jr.

Which is only a 15 watt sollid state amp...but it sounds pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iRV47aS3zo
Quote by Zoot Allures
Is the first led zep album 'good tone' then?

you again

Define good tone? is Dime's tone good?, it's got low end, its got clarity, it gets through the mix, but it sounds like a chainsaw.

I like the first albums tone, sure it's no album IV tone but it's not bad at all. I don't get where you're going with that post really, trying to start an argument?

Back on topic.
Doesn't Clapton use a Victoria tweed champ clone live? he's got real good tone live
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jun 30, 2011,
'Buy Me A Pony',by Spiderbait,was recorded using a tiny little ibanez solid state practice amp.
It's a pretty catchy guitar sound really,that works well if you ask me.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Didn't Joe Perry use a cranked up little amp of some kind to add extra depth to his stuff, or is that just live?

IIRC, Josh Homme uses a little amp somewhere in his epic rig for TCV as well, from what I could make out.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Joe Perry uses a little Champ or some Alessandros reamped through a pair of Marshall Majors. So ya, he's got a little amp but he's also got ridiculously big amps.

Claude, Clapton is using high power or low power tweed Twin clones depending on venue.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

ace frehely said he used a fender champ on many of kiss's early songs. a lot of guys don't really fess up to what they use in the studio. i'm sure you'll find that many classic rock songs were done with small amps and even a lot of classic metal. the giant stacks of marshalls is cool at a show but not practical in the studio.
Quote by mmolteratx
Joe Perry uses a little Champ or some Alessandros reamped through a pair of Marshall Majors. So ya, he's got a little amp but he's also got ridiculously big amps.

Claude, Clapton is using high power or low power tweed Twin clones depending on venue.

could have sworn he used a champ with steve winwood live, or the dvd footage is all a lie (like the cake)
I heard ZZ Top used to record using Fender Champs as well. I don't know any specific details though, or even whether that is true.

EDIT: according to uberproaudio the Champ was his first amp. And he uses 0.08 gauge strings?! WTF.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 30, 2011,
Ya, Billy G used to use 6 Bixonic Expandoras running into a Champ live. The .08s have been around forever. He doesn't like the extra effort when playing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Keith Richards mainly used small tweed and blackface fenders in the studio. Honestly, most classic rock albums were recorded with small amps. Pretty sure Hendrix cranked little Fenders too.
Quote by Duv
I heard ZZ Top used to record using Fender Champs as well. I don't know any specific details though, or even whether that is true.

EDIT: according to uberproaudio the Champ was his first amp. And he uses 0.08 gauge strings?! WTF.

I read that ZZ top used marshall lead 12s occasionally too.

Also, brian may used to use a little handbuilt 10 watt solid state amp (the "deacy" amp) boosted with a rangemaster on a lot of queen albums.

i would imagine the reason why so few classic rock bands actually sounded anything like their records when they played live back in the day is because the amps they used live were just too loud to use in a studio environment, and there were no master volume amps so cranking small amps was the only way to get that sound without shaking the room too much
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by colin617
Keith Richards mainly used small tweed and blackface fenders in the studio. Honestly, most classic rock albums were recorded with small amps. Pretty sure Hendrix cranked little Fenders too.

hendrix used fender twins occasionally but mainly for cleans. jimi liked to play really loud so was more inclined to use his marshall stacks although he may have used some smaller amps from time to time.
I am fairly convinced that Jimmy Page's Supro was a 1690TN Coronado. It is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and that one has 6L6's. It has a 12" speaker fitted to it which is why people often say he had a 1624TN. However you can clearly see in the picture that it isn't a stock installation.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/studio-and-live-gear/284
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100