I get that he's not the most technically sound guitarist in the world, but why does everyone seem to hate on the guy? His riffs on Appetite for Destruction are some of the most well known, memorable riffs of all time - add to that that he seems like a down to earth guy (Met him a couple of times). Everytime Slash comes up all I hear is "He's overrated" or "He sucks" or "I'm a better guitarist than Slash, he just got lucky"

Opinions?
Quote by Just2Rusty
Uh. What?

Show me some examples.

I think Slash is way overrated. Not just technically, but musically as well. He's got some good riffs but his solos are just pentatonic licks. He's not *bad*. He's just overrated - I think a lot of guitarists deserve to be as big as he is but sadly they're not.
Mostly because a lot of people deem him to be the best guitarist of the world, which basically is bullshit because the idea of having a "best guitarist" is total bullshit, because music is about opinions, and also because he's not that a technical player to be considered one even if it's wrong to consider that there's something to consider as a best guitarist

And he's overrated as well.
Last edited by Zeletros at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by piszczel
I think Slash is way overrated. Not just technically, but musically as well. He's got some good riffs but his solos are just pentatonic licks. He's not *bad*. He's just overrated - I think a lot of guitarists deserve to be as big as he is but sadly they're not.

Perhaps by non musicians, but most musicians realise he is not the most technically advanced guitarist around. Most non musicians just like people musicians who play catchy parts, and Slash does.

I think Slash is a great guitarist. I've heard plenty of guitarists from various different genres, from Al Di Meola to Alan Holdsworth, Shawn Lane, Buddy Guy, Tommy Emmanuel, John Williams, etc. Yet I still think Slash is a great guitarist, so it's not from ignorance.

He has written some of the most memorable solos in the world, and they sound great. That's good enough for me.
Slash is not classic rock. Read the rules before you post, please.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.