Hey UG.
When learning songs by ear, i can quickly figure the bassline or the powerchords if theres a simple rhythm.
Im starting out choosing some easy songs, so i was bored this morning and wanted to learn a song called: Lonely in Love by The Black Cloud Collective
It sounds very easy, and it's pretty much the same three notes repeating.
I believe the bassline/guitar goes: C - A#/Bb - A (Doing some sliding to the D)

My problem is, how do i convert these notes/tones to become chords?
I think the first is CMajor, and it sounds pretty exact to the song. But i cant figure out the Bb and A chords. I tried AMajor AMinor, BbMajor, and BbMinor - None of these sound good playing along with the song.

How do i approach this chord creation?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
I feel like you said the answer yourself, but maybe build a chord out of Dminor. its got A# in it. its also got a and c in it. something like a Dm7#5no3...

but anyways, look at what notes are there. each of those notes has at least two other notes inside it right? A as a minor would have A, C, E. C would have C, E,G well so between A and C, both C and E are common, but since we want to end up at C, maybe we play a little passing E phrase to ease the transition...

to go from C to A#... same idea I guess. but instead try it different. C,E,G... what A# has something common with that? A#dim has A#,C#, E,G... so maybe try A#dim as your chord. which it turns out is the same notes as Edim.

so there you go, theres some ideas.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by KrisHQ
Hey UG.
When learning songs by ear, i can quickly figure the bassline or the powerchords if theres a simple rhythm.
Im starting out choosing some easy songs, so i was bored this morning and wanted to learn a song called: Lonely in Love by The Black Cloud Collective

I think the first is CMajor, and it sounds pretty exact to the song. But i cant figure out the Bb and A chords. I tried AMajor AMinor, BbMajor, and BbMinor - None of these sound good playing along with the song.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Is the Bb functioning as the bVII? It may be a passing tone and would have no chordal function at all, if not, unless you want to force some crazy outside jazz reharmonization to it.

Depending upon what you know about theory and harmony, this might be out of reach for the skill sets that you currently possess. This is a benefit and advantage of having these skill sets. It sounds like you want to do something that you haven't the knowledge or background or skill sets to execute. If this is the case, this is a good opportunity to remove these barriers by committing to theory, and a lovely first hand testimony of why "doing it all by ear" can fall short of your needs, in and of itself.

Maybe a paradigm shift is in order.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by KrisHQ
Hey UG.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Well you said you got the bassline so next step for you would be to figure out the key of the song. This can be approached a couple of ways. Try to feel where the home chord is or sense of resolution in the song ...or slide your finger up and down the low E string until you hear a definite match that keeps on happening on that note. Try the minor pent , if that doesnt work try major pent scale. So if the major scale worked and your bass note was C then you are in C major. Now to get the chords. All you need to know is the chords in C major aka the C major chord scale. C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C. THose are the chords now just match them up. Sometimes you have to make adjustments as there are many songs who dont follow such simple rules haha. But at least this is a start.