http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-V-50-Electric-Guitar-105806475-i1503633.gc

So far i haven't seen any bad reviews of this guitar, and I'd love to put some EMG 81/85 pickups in this and go to town. Plus the V-shape is badass. Only bad thing I know of is that a case is about 200 bucks (so i'm probably not getting a case).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-400-SG-Electric-Guitar-100042754-i1149971.gc

And the G-400 SG from epiphone looks pretty decent, and the only bad things i've heard are that the strap buttons suck (personally I don't care) and that it goes out of tune a lot (that I do care about).

Any thoughts on these guitars?
I haven't played the sg, i have played the v. WITH the 81/85 pickup set. One of my friends owns it. It is VERY VERY VERY BAD-ASS
I owned the G400 ages ago, and it was a wicked guitar for the price, I plan on getting another one soon. They go out of a tune a bit, but I just replaced the tuners with some higher end Grovers and it was fine.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
I owned the G400 ages ago, and it was a wicked guitar for the price, I plan on getting another one soon. They go out of a tune a bit, but I just replaced the tuners with some higher end Grovers and it was fine.

I figured that would be all it needs, but I'd probably end up swapping out pickups too, and I don't want these guitars to turn into money pits
Well the V will pretty much have hotter pups then the G-400. I tend to think the V will be a one trick pony.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Yeah, I think in the long run you'd be better off with the SG with different tuners and p/ups. The V is a bit of a one trick pony.
Member of the Laney Cult
Well my advice is get the one that appeals most to you because you can easily fix the little issues you pointed out... like just get some proper tuning pegs to fix the going out of tune issue and change the pups for something a little more in your taste. So with either guitar you're probably going to end up doing some modding.
Quote by JaykeSucks
Yeah, I think in the long run you'd be better off with the SG with different tuners and p/ups. The V is a bit of a one trick pony.

Metal/Thrash Metal/Rock is pretty good for me.
The ESP is a decent budget axe, and with some mods could be nice. The G-400 is a nice guitar, but the p/u's suck. I have never had an issue with tuning the stock Grovers on mine are 18:1 Grover Romantics, not the 12:1 that is advertised. I think that ether will work good for your modding, but only you can make that call.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The ESP is a decent budget axe, and with some mods could be nice. The G-400 is a nice guitar, but the p/u's suck. I have never had an issue with tuning the stock Grovers on mine are 18:1 Grover Romantics, not the 12:1 that is advertised. I think that ether will work good for your modding, but only you can make that call.

Thanks for the input. I only mentioned it because of how many times i've seen the issue mentioned in different reviews. I'm really liking the ESP so far. I'm going to make a list and head to guitar center and try all these out. I'll see which one feels most comfortable.
Happy Hunting.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate