Anything wrong with using the pinky with index finger on power chords. I struggle a bit with the stretch when using index and ring especially when getting closer to the nut. I am getting my action lowered soon so it may get easier.
-Mike
its okay if you play that:

d
a 444
e 222

youre not going to be able to play that...
d44
a55
e22
Quote by crohno
i use the pinky finger to play the octave in the power chord

Okay, I am a beginner. What does playing the octave mean?
-Mike
Quote by primus182
its okay if you play that:

d
a 444
e 222

youre not going to be able to play that...
d44
a55
e22

I am not very good at writing out or understanding any of this tab stuff yet:

A 7/5
C# 6/4
F# 4/2
D 7/5

These are the chords to So What by P!nk
-Mike
look, a powerchord: => you play this one with your index and ring vinger.
E-1----
A-3----

a powerchord with an octave: => you play this one with your index, ring and pinky
E-1----
A-3----
D-3----

The nr. 1 stand for first fret (nr2. for seconde fret, etc...)
Last edited by Larz89 at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by Larz89
look, a powerchord: => you play this one with your index and ring vinger.
E-1----
A-3----

a powerchord with an octave: => you play this one with your index, ring and pinky
E-1----
A-3----
D-3----

The nr. 1 stand for first fret (nr2. for seconde fret, etc...)

This is a little confusing for me. There is no E note on the first fret and there is no A note on the third fret
-Mike
Quote by Steve635z
The E and A are denoting the open string.

I think I understand. You play first fret on the E string and third fret on the A string. There are two E strings, though. Is it the low E string?
-Mike
Yeah you're right with both of those things.

Also i've always used my pinky for power chords and never had any problems, there are maybe a few occasions when you might need to use other fingers but you should be fine most of the time.
If you do use your ring vinger instead of your pinky for the regular (non-octave) powerchord, you will learn your ring the stretch (Imo, i think thats better, then running from it and do work-arounds) because you will need to stretch those vingers for your C-major and G-major chords + tons of other sh*t (like the octave powerchord)
You guys (I am assuming guys but I could be wrong. I recently went to my local guitar store and one of the employees( guitarist) was a cute female) are very helpful. I have one more question. Are power chords generally not played on the higher strings like E and B?
-Mike
yes, although possible, powerchords are more a rythmic part of song structure.
I'm sort of getting the hang of these myself. But I also have a question if I can add to the fire.

I've been trying to learn with my pinky, but with an octave, can I use the ring finger to bar the A and D string (if I'm playing EAD)? I can move faster when doing that but I have a nasty habit of muting the D string when I slide up and down. So should I stay with the pinky or is barring with the ring finger fine as well?

Thanks.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
You should NOT use the ring finger to bar the A and D string (or any other strings for that matter).

Why? just look at your finger, it will make a 90° shape, which will f*ck up your vinger in the long run.
You need to use your pinky so your fingers are round and only the fingertips touch the strings.

+ if you use your pinky with the powerchords, you will find it easyer to learn your chords and such.
Quote by Larz89
You should NOT use the ring finger to bar the A and D string (or any other strings for that matter).

Why? just look at your finger, it will make a 90° shape, which will f*ck up your vinger in the long run.
You need to use your pinky so your fingers are round and only the fingertips touch the strings.

+ if you use your pinky with the powerchords, you will find it easyer to learn your chords and such.

Thanks.

To practice this I've been moving up the fretboard (slow, hopefully I'll get faster). Do you suggest anything different to gain speed or is this okay for now?

- Don't mean to bombard you with questions but this thread seems the place to go
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Always play them with pinky while standing, using the ring finger would couse my wrist to snap and bleed out haha
Quote by Larz89

I use the index finger to barre a regular A chord. Does what you are saying apply here?
-Mike
Quote by Widefingers
I use the index finger to barre a regular A chord. Does what you are saying apply here?

That is an acceptable way of playing an A-major.

As long as you do not bend your finger in an awkward position (like in 90°.
It doesn't look right, It doesn't feel right (after a couple of minutes)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-143-Aminibar-chord.php => this is how you should do it.

I play and A-major like this:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-112-A-chord.php

I think this is one of the best ways because then you have an anchor finger for switching to other chords (D & E)

BTW: for all you noobs out there, justinguitar is one of the best sites/teachers out there
Quote by Larz89
That is an acceptable way of playing an A-major.

As long as you do not bend your finger in an awkward position (like in 90°.
It doesn't look right, It doesn't feel right (after a couple of minutes)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-143-Aminibar-chord.php => this is how you should do it.

I play and A-major like this:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-112-A-chord.php

I think this is one of the best ways because then you have an anchor finger for switching to other chords (D & E)

BTW: for all you noobs out there, justinguitar is one of the best sites/teachers out there

Thanks for the info. I like Justin for technical stuff but not for song lessons. I prefer Marty Schwartz for the songs. Actually, I found someone recently who may be even better than Marty. His name is Andy Collins
-Mike