I'm not a particularly bad guitarist, but I find it boring to learn whole songs. I can play an infinite number of riffs, and i'm pretty good at soloing and improv. I just don't like learning a whole song. It's quite annoying when I play infront of people. Any one else have this problem?
Quote by We'rewolf
I'm not a particularly bad guitarist, but I find it boring to learn whole songs. I can play an infinite number of riffs, and i'm pretty good at soloing and improv. I just don't like learning a whole song. It's quite annoying when I play infront of people. Any one else have this problem?

I never had this problem personally, but it's quite common amongst beginner guitarists. I can see how you might find the repetition of playing certain parts over and over again boring, so you'll have to derive enjoyment from it through creating music rather than regarding it as a technical challenge. Play along with some of your favourite songs and you should start to get it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The problem I have with learning whole songs is that my memory simply isn't good enough. For Whom The Bell Tolls is the only song I can play note for note, right the way through. Otherwise I'm utterly terrible at remembering more than a few patterns in a song with many of them.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jun 30, 2011,
Learning whole songs? I rarely LEARN ANYTHING from other artists, I usually just write my own songs and add stuff I didn't play before and techniques that I'm not that good at yet so that I practice.

Other than that, I know 2-3 solos from metallica that I play all the time just to practice technique and all
Learn easier songs first then, and chords are your friend. It's a lot easier to think of a song which goes Em D C x 3 G B7 Em than recall the entire tabs for Nothing Else Matters.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Haha, I know how you feel!
Still I haven't played for a year yet, but when my Dad or frieds ask me to play a whole song, I just play a riff from it and say I don't know that rest =/
Actually, there are songs I can play flawlessly, but ofcourse I odn't think of them when people are asking >_>
Ive been in this sorta situation before too, you just have to find songs that are interesting enough to play the whole way through. A song that has a number of riffs that changes quite often. Once you start getting in the groove of that, youll find yourself more open to playing other less adventurous songs, or at least that was the case with me. The key though is to play along with the song and just pretend youre in it. Its true, its almost pointless to play a whole song you dont really want to play if theres no crowd listening, so you just have to really get into it.
Quote by We'rewolf

Just one question comes to mind:

Why do you want to learn whole songs if you find it boring?

Best,

Sean
Maybe I'm weird, but I tend to memorize notes whilst listening to the song...not memorizing the names of the notes, mind you. Rather, the tune, note-for-note, tends to stick.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
I dont know many full songs either from other artist. after 3 years of playing... mostly cause I forgot some. but I was in your situation as well at one point. but I just honestly did not care enough about other peoples songs to play them(I love to listen though ^_^)
I would much rather write a song than to learn someone else's.
but I will learn parts I find rather cool or catchy.. or if I never heard anything like it before then ill learn it. about it though...
Quote by We'rewolf

You might find it boring, but if you just play the song along with the song itself playing in the background it gets more fun.
When I work down a song by ear from Vai and practice it till I put it on youtube is when I do about half an hour every day two months ( other songs than Vai take me alot shorter as there is only one small solo and just a rhythm guitar) .
But it works and it's better then learning 10 riffs every day.
Also be sure to break down what you're hearing and especially stuff that seems weird to you like a different non diatonic chord which you never heard before.
Quote by We'rewolf

lots of people do. Learning a full song requires a longer attention span. A lot of people get frustrated with that and prefer to deal with smaller bits and pieces. I find that these same people prefer soloing and "improvising" over learning actual melodies/solos for similar reasons. Very very common.

solution: start learning full songs. Play them in their entirety by memory on a regular basis. Its not easy for everyone at 1st, but you do get used to dealing with the larger context eventually and will no longer see it as boring. (or use that as an excuse)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
lots of people do. Learning a full song requires a longer attention span. A lot of people get frustrated with that and prefer to deal with smaller bits and pieces. I find that these same people prefer soloing and "improvising" over learning actual melodies/solos for similar reasons. Very very common.

solution: start learning full songs. Play them in their entirety by memory on a regular basis. Its not easy for everyone at 1st, but you do get used to dealing with the larger context eventually and will no longer see it as boring. (or use that as an excuse)

+1 learning full songs also is really helpfull.
Maybe you like the verse of a song.
You are going to learn the verse.
Which is a bad idea.
Maybe the verse has it's particular effect of it being modulated or maybe it changes the bpm right there.
you know a multitude of riffs, but only know a few full songs. that's akin to having a vast vocabulary, but only being able to form a few sentences. maybe you can form a few more based on the knowledge of what you have, but the majority of them might not be correct (e.g. sound good).

guitarmunky's advice is gold. if you follow it, you might find you'll benefit in the long run.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It shouldn't really be boring. I think you mean frustrating, especially if you do it by ear. But once you get good at it it is less frustrating obviously. Learning songs has sooo many benefits especially if you know some basic theory. If you get bored just go to another song and listen to it and just at least figure out the chords or something(you can just figure out the chords by sliding your finger up and down the low E string) then later on come back to the other song and work on that some more.

You should get some kind of looping software so you can keep replaying parts of the song over and over and drive your self nuts lol.
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jul 1, 2011,