I know there are cloths I can buy that are specifically designed for wiping down guitars, but what else can I use that will be just as safe? I've got a cloth for wiping lenses; would this be safe on my guitar? I'm so worried about microscratches even though I won't be able to see them haha.
well most clothes will be ok

but remember than an unscratched guitar is an unloved guitar
Quote by '93
well most clothes will be ok

but remember than an unscratched guitar is an unloved guitar

Complete lies!

Any sort of cloth should do it yeah. If your guitar gets damaged by a cloth then it doesn't deserve to be called a guitar.
Quote by Steve635z
If your guitar gets damaged by a cloth then it doesn't deserve to be called a guitar.

Lmao so true :P.

Thanks guys
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
The extra air that gets in through the scratches gives it better tone.

This man speaks sense.
Periphery, love that shit!
The difference in tone between faded paint and unscratched guitars is so insignificant it's ridiculous to even cite it as a source of tone. Plus, it's completely unnoticeable with all the gain you UG types use.

Most guitar stores sell microfiber clothes, that's what I use. I use that for wet cleanings, and for just regular wipe downs I have a dust-free rag I use. Anything with a high thread count or dust-free should be just fine.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
wtf everyone knows you gotta scratch up your guitar or else it doesn't sound as good. The extra air that gets in through the scratches gives it better tone.

This. But it depends on the air. If you're somewhere with a high humidity, you get a thick and warm tone, and if you're somewhere dry you get a crunchy and snappy tone. It all boils down to preference. But really, where you live makes a huge impact on your tone so it's something you all should consider, I'm in fact in the process of moving to Nevada to find my dream tone.
REGGIE
You guys are seriously arguing the tonality of scratches and and airflow in your guitars? As soon as you take the gain past 2 or 3 it doesn't matter anymore.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You don't have to use a cloth "designed" specially for guitars, any microfiber from a department store will work just find, and will probably be cheaper.
Quote by JustRooster
You guys are seriously arguing the tonality of scratches and and airflow in your guitars? As soon as you take the gain past 2 or 3 it doesn't matter anymore.

Oh dude...