I am buying my first drumkit this week and have come down to 2 main choices. I will either buy a $900 pearl forum with pearl cymbals (including hi-hat, crash, and ride) or a $1000 gretsch blackhawk with sabian B8 cymbals (including a crash-ride, splash, and hi-hat).
I've heard that pearl cymbals aren't very good.

Both prices include tax, hardware, etc...

Do any of you have any experience with either of these? which is the better kit?
I am on a tight budget and these are the best i can afford, so any help is appreciated.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So i suppose 2+2=4 is a stereotype as well?

Hooray For Canada.
Last edited by smcstoronto1234 at Jun 30, 2011,
Are you sure it's a Pearl forum? Brand new they're like £500
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Yea, he's right...Pearl Forums usually go for MUCH less than $900. In that range you're looking at like Export or Vision series'...which are quite a bit better than Forums. Double check...if Forum for $900 you're over paying, if it's an Export or Vision, you're OK...and I would indeed go with the Export or Vision over that Gretsch.
Omg. Don't buy a new set for that much. Buy a used set in good condition. You will thank yourself forever.

I've encountered so many awesome deals on Craigslist from people who just need money right then and there. For instance, there is currently a Tama Starclassic Maple in the city next to me for $450. 13" tom and 16" floor tom, 22" bass, 14" snare. This is a $1500 set plus hardware for under $500. These leads you to (even if you bought new) a nice set of cymbals. Not God-forsaken B8s...and I won't even mention the Pearl cymbals.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Ya thanks.. And yes, it is the forum
i know its a bit much, but that is including taxes and in canadian dollars
But regardless of price, which one is better?
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So i suppose 2+2=4 is a stereotype as well?

Hooray For Canada.
I'd say you would outgrow the Forums pretty quick if you're a stickler for sound. But then again, if you can't tune, an expensive kit isn't going to sound good at all.
I haven't played the Blackhawk, but the Renowns are pretty nice.
I own a Pearl Vision and it is very very nice. I would at least take it into consideration.
B8's > Pearl Cymbals.
Although, saying that, save up for some Sabian Xs20's. They're nuch nicer.
Try each kit if you can and decide which sounds better to you. That's the best advice.
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

I have a Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive (mouthful) that I like and have been using for a year without any major problems. The size of the kit is practical and adds to a unique tone, though it is very fussy on what skins you use, for some strange reason, more so than my last kit - a Pearl.

I'm not sure on the prices over there, but I bought mine for roughly £800. There are other variations on the Superstar so you can shop around.

The snare is not as snappy as you'd think considering its size - 13" x 6". It's not the best snare I've ever come across. But again, a really high quality skin tuned to perfection can get it very snappy and bold.

The toms are nice and the sizes of them make it super easy to set them up at the right height over your kick. Most toms would have to be raised very high in order for them to fit over the kick drum, but then you'd have to angle them to actually reach the middle of the skins, and angling your toms is a bad idea if you want to maintain your skins.

The sound of the kick is definitely the highlight, as well as the hardware. It is not as warm as I'd like, but is very loud and cutting. With a particular set-up of padding, beaters, kick pedals, and skins, you can find a crisp attack that just fills the room. Again, it's a picky drum kit and does need time to fit properly into your set-up.
If you can lay you hands on Hyper-Drives, I would.

I'm actually considering special ordering a Tama Starclassic maple in Hyper-Drive sizes.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.