So ive been playing the guitar for about a year now on a Squier SE Special Strat and a Squier SP-10 amp (all of which came in a pack) I've taken up guitar lessons in January, and I'd finally decided it's new amp time, since the SP-10 doesn't sound to good. I'm a high schooler so my mother said she would split 50-50 for the amp price since I want a new one. When I went to the guitar shop, I first played a Fender Mustang II, which sounded pretty good, and after that, a Vox VT20+, and lastly, a Behringer (I forget the model but I believe it had valve simulation) Of all of those, the Mustang sounded the best, but earlier in the year, someone suggest my next amp be a "small tube amp". Reading that, and some other ravings about tube vs. SS, I decided to do some research on some small, somewhat affordable tube amps. Ones that caught my interest were the marshall class 5 and the fender blues jr. But both were out of my price range if bought new. I then wondered if I should go ahead and pull the trigger on the mustang, or save up for a decent-small tube amp and with that time make myself believe I really want it. So my main question is, are tube amps THAT much better than solid state amps, or are is SS better for quiet distortion and home practice? BTW I like most music from blues to classic rock to hard rock.
Well, usually if you want tube amps to sound good, you have to crank them. Ss can sound good at any volume. Tube amps take pedals better, but ss amps are more reliable.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by king bun bun
tube amps are the way to go.

But will it still sound good at a low volume?
Quote by Herpman97

Not as good as it will when it's cranked.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Herpman97

don't let people fool you with the must be loud nonsense. to get power tube distortion yes otherwise no. look into a Peavey valveking. they can be played at low volumes and sound fine as well as cranked to band volume.
You can get a used Blues jr for around $400, or a Peavey Classic 30 which has a similar sound for even less. So if you think you can scrape together the $200 you need in a reasonable amount of time, then yes, save up for a tube amp.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage